CAR HIRE

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
06 Mar 2008 1:34 PM by J&N Star rating in Nottinghamshire. 342 posts Send private message

J&N´s avatar
On our last trip to Murcia, we used Solmar, they charged for a full tank and refunded when we returned it with more than half a tank of fuel.

Jacqui

http://relocatetospain.blogspot.com our adventure from deciding to move to Spain to being here and moving back to the UK.

Like 0      
06 Mar 2008 1:42 PM by Sonia El Star rating in Wales / Carvajal, F.... 212 posts Send private message

Just returned last night from Malaga (sob! sob!). Had booked car via 'doyuuspain' and got Record. They have a full-full policy but the guy tried to get us to pay 33€ for half a tank and return that way.  We declined and used that amount but only paid 19€ to fill back up.

Booked smallest car available and at the desk the guy said I've upgraded you. A brand new car (actually it had only 5km on clock). Not being familiar with Citreon cars didn't know what a Berlingo was.  Do now - yuck - it's like a van with windows. (Apologies to anyone who owns one!).  OK if you want to carry loads of stuff and rear doors slide open so easy access for anyone using the back. But not very comfortable. Much prefer something smaller for the country roads. Plus it was diesel and had no power going up hills.

Their receptionist was also not too impressed that we declined their excess insurances as we'd got Insurance4car hire policy. No-one checked the car when we returned either which always worries me slightly. There were no hub caps when we took it out and checked that other similar cars in the parking lot didn't either.

Like 0      
07 Mar 2008 8:49 AM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

We were given a Berlingo on one hire with Record, wasn't impressed with it as I didn't like the restricted view from the rear view mirror. 

On that trip though we bought a new tv from Eroski and had no problems getting it home so every cloud has a silver lining.

Like 0      
07 Mar 2008 11:22 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Just seen this car hire firm, just at Malaga, thought I'd post link DRAGON CARS

Like 0      
06 May 2008 4:36 PM by Sonia El Star rating in Wales / Carvajal, F.... 212 posts Send private message

Sorry to resurrect this thread but once again trying to find a reasonably priced car hire.  I used doyouspain last month for 5 days hire and got Auriga. Quoted price 88€ which seemed reasonable but at the desk we had to pay an extra 45€ for the petrol. That was on a Kia Picanto - can't get much smaller so no way it would cost that to fill up.

Does anyone know of ANY car hire company that includes the cost of fuel in the rental price quoted?  If we're going to pay 130€ plus I'd rather go with one of the well known companies like Europcar.  I don't want a shock when we get the other end. I don't mind the full empty policy anymore as we can usually rack up enough miles to use the fuel. (Waiting for the kilometre restrictions to be introduced when they realise that little money spinner)

We're hiring for 9/10 days next month and need a larger car as we'll have friends with us, preferably a people carrier type, and he has problems getting in and out of low cars due to bad knees. Any suggestions welcome. Don't really want a Berlingo as they've no go in them and doubt if it would make it up the hills with 4 people on board!

Like 0      
06 May 2008 5:25 PM by kenshaz Star rating in Cheshire/Vera Play.... 486 posts Send private message

kenshaz´s avatar
I often considered the situation regarding tank sizes,because they charged us 45 euros for a tank full of petrol on a KA. Tank sizes vary widely have they ever been challenged on this or do thay take it into consideration?

Like 0      
09 May 2008 5:18 PM by Sonia El Star rating in Wales / Carvajal, F.... 212 posts Send private message

Having spent most of my spare time in the last few days checking out the various car hire companies at Malaga (both on and off airport) I've not found one that doesn't charge extra at the strart of the rental for fuel.  There are some widely differing amounts quoted but none are comfirmed - that's what you find out when you get there. But vary from 45€ to 125€ - ouch!!

Has anyone joined the Helle Hollis owner club? Not used them but they're promising up to 15% off car hire if you hire for at least 10 days within a one year period. Also that they will refund unused petrol costs per quarter of tank (ie quarter, half etc)

It's such a minefield..........

Like 0      
09 May 2008 5:30 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Sonia, did you try booking with Record directly ? http://www.recordrentacar.com/car_hire/car_hire_malaga.htm They have their own offices & fleet of cars at Palma de Mallorca, Gran Canaria, Tenerife, Fuerteventura, Lanzarote, Malaga, Barcelona and Alicante. If they take bookings for Murcia & any others they just pass you to other firms & then you have to abide by that firm's rules, not Records, re petrol. (We travel to Murcia so we never use Record for that reason).

Try asking them as certainly at Alicante, they don't charge for petrol. They may put a quarter tank of fuel in but you just bring it back with same in & they check car on this. No cc charge is taken for Alicante & Malaga has a Record office so same rule, I understand.

Email them on reservas@recordrentacar.com

EDITED TO SAY.. Sonia, I've scrolled way down to a post you made on 06 Mar 2008 1:42 PM & you weren't very happy with Record.

This message was last edited by morerosado on 5/9/2008.

Like 0      
09 May 2008 5:37 PM by conrad Star rating in Milton Keynes and Dr.... 298 posts Send private message

conrad´s avatar

Morerosado,

Record do charge we picked up a car from them through doyouspain and when we picked it up they said will you use a full tank we said no and they charged us for half a tank and to return it with half a tank of fuel.

It was full up when we picked it up

Like 0      
09 May 2008 5:48 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

See FAQ's page for Record... http://www.recordrentacar.com/car_hire/airport_faq.htm

Under My Car Hire it says

• Do I have to return the vehicle with an empty tank?

• _______________________

Like 0      
    09 May 2008 5:51 PM by Sonia El Star rating in Wales / Carvajal, F.... 212 posts Send private message

I seemed to have gathered that most firms are fairly flexible regarding fuel recharges when only hiring for about 3 days but less so when using for longer. 

We usually go for about 5 days and hire a car for convenience more than anything. We're on the main rail route from Malaga to Fuengirola and actually less than 20 minute drive to the airport. I suppose if you live further afield you'd not have any problems as you'd use the petrol easily. Except I suppose for the exhorbitant cost of the fuel.

I keep waiting for what other little scam they're going to try and charge for - spare wheels, warning triangles, emergency vests?? Some already charge extra for picking up at the airport and extra driver (other than main).

Off to Tesco now to do weekly shop and find some bogofs.................

Like 0      
    09 May 2008 6:01 PM by conrad Star rating in Milton Keynes and Dr.... 298 posts Send private message

conrad´s avatar

Morerosado,

Sonia post from the 6th march is exactly what happened to us at Alicante our car was full of fuel when we picked it up but when we said at the reception desk that we would not use it all they then charged us for a half tank of fuel and to return it with half a tank

Like 0      
    09 May 2008 6:10 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Conrad, the point I'm trying to make is you & Sonia arranged your car hire through an agent, in both cases it was doyouspain. I'm saying that our friends go directly through Record.

Why don't you email Record & ask.  I gave you their email address. Email them on reservas@recordrentacar.com & ask for their fuel policy if you book directly through them at Alicante & in Sonia's case, Malaga.  I'm not just talking about 3 days or less but for any period too.

This message was last edited by morerosado on 5/9/2008.

Like 0      
    09 May 2008 6:35 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar
    Ok, maybe totally irrelevant, but I will be in Malaga for six weeks from early July thru third week August and, having searched for a deal over the last months, decided on a quote thru DoYouSpain, who came up with a five door Clio for 714 Euros.  Now, I usually like to use Hertz or Avis, etc  - but Avis wouldn't allow me to book over 28 days or something silly and Hertz was so much more expensive for the same class of car.  But we are renting quite long term, so that may make a difference, and fuel isn't really an issue either way.

Record returned a price over 100 Euros more expensive for the same class of car for the same period!

So, point is, Doyouspain actually turned up the best for us this year (and we used Helle Hollis last year, but had a Hyundai Getz that had no power whatsoever and the stereo display didn't work properly so couldn't use our ipod through our fm transmitter!!)

I can also say, my brother booked his car through Doyouspain for two weeks at the end of this month and it was the best deal he was able to get from the UK, to stay in our place in Duquesa.

Just takes a lot of searching!!

This message was last edited by Pitby on 5/9/2008.

Like 0      
    09 May 2008 7:39 PM by conrad Star rating in Milton Keynes and Dr.... 298 posts Send private message

conrad´s avatar

Done that Morerosado I will await the reply.

Booking through an agent though shouldn't really make a diference as you are still renting with them regardless but we shall see.

Like 0      
    09 May 2008 8:58 PM by nfm2862 Star rating in Welling, Kent & Al A.... 1460 posts Send private message

nfm2862´s avatar

Conrad,

When I was in Spain at beginning of April, I booked through DoyouSpain with Auriga Crown. When I queried the full/full policy the girl at AC said that this was DYS policy as we had booked through them. I haven't yet booked direct with AC so don't know how true this is and whether the situation would be different booking through AC direct.

Noreen

www.alandaluscarhire.com

www.vera-apartment.com

www.verathalassa.es 

Like 0      
    09 May 2008 9:27 PM by conrad Star rating in Milton Keynes and Dr.... 298 posts Send private message

conrad´s avatar

Noreen for 3 days or less AC do allow you a full/full but if longer they do not you are taking out the policy of the rental company all DYS are is an agent they do not and I would have thought cannot imposethere policy on someone else

See here

Tank of fuel.

-For rentals up to 3 days there will be a charge for the full tank of fuel, which will be refundable at the end of the hire if the tank is returned full.

-If the rental is for 4 days or more, there will be a charge for the full tank of fuel, which must be returned as empty as possible. No refunds will be made for unused fuel.

-Fuel will have to be paid at the beginning of the rental period.

-The amount for fuel depends on the model of the vehicle and ranges between € 40 and € 85.

Like 0      
    10 May 2008 1:57 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Well, we've booked Econorent (Murcia airport) through http://www.hirecarsinspain.com/ after JaneB told me about their guaranteed full/full fuel arrangement. We've booked a Hyundai Getz/Citreon C3 or equivalent just for the two of us.

June 9 - July 2 Econorent was 328.43€, doyouspain with Auriga Crown was 351.57€

Sept 1-25 Econorent was 377.18€, doyouspain with Auriga Crown was 408.00€

Extra insurance with Econorent is 16€ per hire period, Auriga Crown is 20€ per hire period.

Auriga Crown fuel arrangements are now (& actually have been for a while) full / empty over three days hire period as they're moving into the airport any day & have to conform to what others there are doing, they told us.

Like 0      
    10 May 2008 10:55 AM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Is Econorent on site at Alicante More?

I hate having to find the rep and be taken off airport to pick the car up.

Also, does the price on their website include a full tank do you know?

Thanks,

FibbyUK

One off fee to pay your own La Renta tax (210 Form)
    Check out my website:

http://www.payingtaxesinspain210form.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Like 0      
    10 May 2008 12:11 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

I used Econarent at Alicante and they are very easy to find.

When booking they give you a map to show you exactly where the van is in the car park.  They are in the public car park section where all the white vans are.  It's the furthest van in row 3. 

When we arrived at the van there was a note saying back in 10 but we had arrived earlier than expected.

The check in was quite good although the rep originally tried to charge me 50e for a full tank but he changed it back to full/full without any problem.

When booking you pay extra for diesel but I think it was worth it as it cost me 27e to fill the tank up at the airport.  My previous trip I had a small car and it cost 40e to fill it up at airport.

I booked a group C and was given a Opel Corsa.

When you return the car you post the keys and parking ticket through a slot in the side of the van, they ask you to mark the ticket with the bay number where the car is parked.

I was flying with Easyjet and I parked the car outside Terminal 2 whilst I checked it and then returned the car,  Much easier than the other way around especially as the weather was really bad the day I left.

Only problem I had was the receipt showed the amount in £'s when I went to enter my pin number, I asked the rep to change it to Euros but he said he couldn't.  I haven't checked my Nationwide statement to see if I have been charged in £'s or Euros.  Could be a factor to take into account when checking prices between other car users.

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

cheap flights - 0 posts
    Anyone in Manilva - and you Justin! - 11 posts
    Renovating - 0 posts
    Non Completion and Furniture Pack Rights - 1 posts
    Xmas dinner - 76 posts
    Sunset Beach Torrevieja, CB - 0 posts
    LINDA QUINN - 1 posts
    music - 1 posts
    Work permits, et al for Spanish Employment - 2 posts
    Pregnant when you move to spain - 2 posts
    Buying a property with a Ltd Co - 2 posts
    Los Noranjos Apartments in Terque - 5 posts
    PHASE 3 - 4 posts
    how to move on to Spain - 0 posts
    Mortgage Help - 3 posts
    THE FONDUE LOUNGE - 4 posts
    Help for Completion Please - 24 posts
    Claims Form - Consumer Rights - 14 posts
    snagging - 5 posts
    Proindal web site - 3 posts
    Cleaning Services - 1 posts
    Successfully bought a property abroad without pressure. - 1 posts
    Villa Martin - 4 posts
    laguna green - 28 posts
    Trips to Ibiza and Majorca - 5 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 113

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 |
    Our Weekly Email Digest
    Name:
    Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x