CAR HIRE

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
02 Jun 2008 11:31 AM by wrixonshea Star rating. 13 posts Send private message

Rented a car through carjet and chaged 100 euro for diesel, policy iis receive a full tank and bring it back empty. Auriga at Almeria said this is not their policy which is receive a full tank bring it back full. Carjet informed me that the full-empty is the car rental company policy, however, Auriga says different. This is an absolute rip off by car jet. I have been a good customer of carjet, but most diffinitely will not rent from them  in the future.
wrixon

Like 0      
02 Jun 2008 12:31 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

Carjet states it does this because it saves looking for scratches etc as what the rental company makes on the fuel off sets this.  But times have changed and now most rental companies insist that you buy the extra insurance for windscreens, tyres etc. so this doesn't work anymore.

A 100 euros is a lot, what sort of car was it, I hired a Opel Corsa diesal from www.hirecarsinspain.com (Econorent at Alicante) who charged me 50e initially for fuel.  I declined as the booking stated full/full, I paid 22e euros at the airport to fill it up on my return.  The guage showed just over 1/2 full so the amount initially charged was fare.  I always go for paying for my own fuel as you can never be certain how much fuel you're going to use.

Have a look at this company to see who they use at Almeria also you could try www.doyouspain.com and ask for a quote for Auriga as they say they do full/full at that airport.

I'd suggest sending an email to CarJet but you'd probably only get a bog standard reply.  Vote with your feet and move to another company, there's plenty more around.

Like 0      
04 Jun 2008 3:11 PM by robert1980 Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

As a house owner I rarely use a full tank of fuel and having tried a number of companies ie Carjet and Solmar I eventually found hirecarsinspain . com when I went out  a couple of weeks ago, I was very sceptical of wether the full to full would work but was very suprised that it all worked out great and had no problem and also was very glad I wasn't collecting from inside the arrivals hall as some of the queues were huge, I was sorted out in less than 5 minutes. 
I hope this is of some help as I intend to make full use of their full to full policy as fuel seems to be getting more and more expensive (although still cheaper than England!)

Regards

Robert 

Like 0      
04 Jun 2008 4:47 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

Glad to here that you also had a positive experience with www.hirecarsinspain.com Robert.

I used them for Alicante airport and was given Econorent, which airport and company did you use?

Like 0      
04 Jun 2008 5:02 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Hi Robert & welcome to our forum. Hope you get a lot of info from it.

You don't say in your profile where your place is in Spain, could you update it please. (I'm nosey).  No, it helps us to help you at times without, as I'm doing now, asking you. 

If you booked ECONORENT through http://www.hirecarsinspain.com & you obviously were very happy with the service please would you post about the experience in my dedicated thread for others to read. Thanks.

Click blue link for thread Econorent car hire only at Alicante & Murcia airports. A cut above the rest !

Semi, Robert said he used http://www.hirecarsinspain.com
 Econorent is the only one giving full/full with hirecarsinspain

This message was last edited by morerosado on 6/4/2008.

Like 0      
04 Jun 2008 5:37 PM by wrixon Star rating. 8 posts Send private message

I rented a 9 seater for 3 families, very comfortable, safe and loads of baggage room. The 100 euro charge for diesel is the highest I have ever been charged. Auriga were insistent that this is NOT their policy but carjet.
Have just sent an email to carjet, not expecting a lot from them.
Going out to Almeria soon as I have just bought an apartment in Mojacar at a great price, and will try the other agents including Auriga
Wrixon

Like 0      
05 Jun 2008 2:11 PM by robert1980 Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

Hi semijubilada

I used Econorent at Alicante Airport as well but travelling out next week to Murcia Aiport and booked through Econorent at Murcia Airport
Will let you know how I get on! hopefully it all goes as well and as smoothly as last time.

Regards 
Robert

Like 0      
05 Jun 2008 2:57 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

Hope you have a great trip Robert, it'll be interesting to find out your opinion of how Murcia compares with Alicante.

We're going out again in a couple of weeks via Alicante and Econorent, husbands counting the days to his annual two weeks in Spain.  Me I'm busy packing cases and doing the 101 things that need doing before a trip.

Hopefully the weather will improve, I hear there's been quite a lot of rain recently.

Like 0      
03 Feb 2009 5:18 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2626 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Now I have won my arguement with the car hire company, I can post this warning.

Please, please, please, check that when you pay for your car hire, you pay in Euros. Twice now at Alicante airport with Econorent I have been charged in Sterling. The first time I managed to get them to change the amount to Euros because there was someone else with the woman making the transaction. The second time, it was 11.30pm, the rep had been drinking and we just wanted to be on our way. I did specify several times that we must pay in Euros and not Sterling. The card slip came out with a GBP price on it with a disclaimer stating "I have been offered the best rate and this is my preferred currency". At this stage it is too difficultto do anything about it as if they refund you, they won't refund in Sterling which means you get the crap conversion rate yet again!! When returning to the UK, I emailed the agent who said that categorically I had not been charged in Sterling as the machines do not have that capability. After persisting for a week or so, the reply changed to "the terminal is updated with the card processor's bank exchange rate every morning. Every customer is then given the opportunity which currency to pay in." THIS IS NOT TRUE, don't get caught.

It must be said that we don't have this problem with Econorent at Murcia airport, althoughj I will be there again in two weeks, and keeping a close eye on the transaction again .

Mark

Like 0      
03 Mar 2009 9:23 PM by beadso Star rating. 128 posts Send private message

hi

is it possible for me to hire a car with my wifes card if she is present with me?

Like 0      
03 Mar 2009 9:42 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

When we hired a car at Alicante, a chap next to me had forgot his credit card.  He asked if he could use his wife's and they said yes but she also had to have a driving licence as the car would be hired in her name.  So the answer is yes but your wife will need a driving licence as well.  You can then drive provided you are listed as a second driver.  Most car hire companies don't charge for a second driver and I usually put my wife down as the second driver in case something happens to me (breaking a leg, or summat, not that I'm accident prone but better safe than sorry).

This was with Auriga but others may have a different policy.

Like 0      
03 Mar 2009 9:56 PM by beadso Star rating. 128 posts Send private message

thanks, but the problem is she doesnt drive. is their any other way round it?

Like 0      
03 Mar 2009 10:26 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2626 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Perhaps you could use one of the rental companies that charge before departure? Although they may insist on the cardholder being the main driver which doesn't help.

Have you tried going into the Post Office and picking up one of the pre- paid credit cards? You can load them up in store and walk out with them same day now.

Alternatively, you will need to contact the hire companies (or the agencies) direct and ask if it can be done. I know Hirecarsinspain can make arrangements for someone other than the cardholder to be a driver and also for debit cards to be accepted as opposed to credit cards.

Mark

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

cheap flights - 0 posts
Anyone in Manilva - and you Justin! - 11 posts
Renovating - 0 posts
Non Completion and Furniture Pack Rights - 1 posts
Xmas dinner - 76 posts
Sunset Beach Torrevieja, CB - 0 posts
LINDA QUINN - 1 posts
music - 1 posts
Work permits, et al for Spanish Employment - 2 posts
Pregnant when you move to spain - 2 posts
Buying a property with a Ltd Co - 2 posts
Los Noranjos Apartments in Terque - 5 posts
PHASE 3 - 4 posts
how to move on to Spain - 0 posts
Mortgage Help - 3 posts
THE FONDUE LOUNGE - 4 posts
Help for Completion Please - 24 posts
Claims Form - Consumer Rights - 14 posts
snagging - 5 posts
Proindal web site - 3 posts
Cleaning Services - 1 posts
Successfully bought a property abroad without pressure. - 1 posts
Villa Martin - 4 posts
laguna green - 28 posts
Trips to Ibiza and Majorca - 5 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 113

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x