Registering baby's birth in Spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
15 Jul 2010 12:00 AM by sarah&john Star rating in Estepona, Spain. 50 posts Send private message

Hi all,

We are moving over at the weekend and my baby is due September. I will be having baby at Marbella Hospital and wondered where I register the baby's birth to get the birth certificate and apply for baby's passport (British). Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks.  Sarah

Like 0      
15 Jul 2010 10:38 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar

British Embassy states here the following:

The birth may be registered at the Civil Register Office nearest to the place of birth or residence, by one of the child's parents. This should be done in the first 8 days following the child's birth. However, this period can be extended to 30 calendar days if there is a justified reason for the delay. If you miss this time limit with the Spanish authorities, you may have problems getting the birth registered. You also may have to start an administration procedure with the Spanish authorities which will be long and expensive. This can affect your child's access to state health, nursery or school.

Also check out this thread (the last couple of pages should explain the situation) - you will see some of the problems Vicci is facing for, unfortunately, being a few days late registering her child. 

Maybe someone can tell you where the nearest Civil Register Office is to where you will be living (I think you may be in the Manilva area?).

Like 0      
16 Jul 2010 11:27 AM by Marbella29649 Star rating in Mijas Costa, Costa d.... 58 posts Send private message

Just make sure  you register the birth within the 30 days.

Our Baby was born at the CDS Hospital but had heart and lung problems and was in intensive care for 3 weeks.

We were so worried that we didnt ask about registering the birth and when we did we had missed the 30 days.

I can only say the next 12 months were a nightmare with numerous visits to the courts in Fuengirola and Marbella.

We actuualy had one visit to the courts in Fuengirola for a court doctor to check what sex the baby was.
Something I found very wierd and a bit creepy!

It took us just over 14 months to finally get the birth certificate and at times it felt like Franco was still in power.

So whatever you do do it within 30 days!

Neil

www.soltecspain.com

This message was last edited by Marbella29649 on 16/07/2010.

Like 0      
16 Jul 2010 1:36 PM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

Franco is still in power

There's another very interesting thread on this form with one person going through this very problem.

Like 0      
17 Sep 2015 5:02 PM by kazy08 Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

my grandson was born unexpectidely in january here in spain  and the parents didnt know abotu registering the baby within a certain time...........they have had to get all the paperwork with a lot of  stress...........its taken them  7 months to get his jabs sorted  which are now being done thank god.........and also  went to register him  when he was 4 months old only to be given an appointment 3 months later ....they went today and registered him and was then told it can take up to 6 months to get the birth certificate ......they are desperate to go home to the uk   is there anyway we can try to get the birth certificate  asap  so they can get his passport 

or any other advise  would be  appreciated 

thank you

Like 0      
17 Sep 2015 7:48 PM by GB45 Star rating in Wiltshire and holida.... 130 posts Send private message

Sorry to hear of your problem getting a passport for your grandson. Have the parents been in touch with the British Consulate in Madrid? It may not be necessary to have a birth certificate for a baby born abroad in order to get a passport.

I do find it strange that the parents didn't realise that a birth has to be registered within a certain time scale. Even in the UK a birth needs to be registered within (I think) 42 days and in most countries it is not optional, only the time scales may vary. A simple google search says that a birth in Spain should be registered within 8 days, unless there are extenuating circumstances.

Like 0      
17 Sep 2015 11:09 PM by kazy08 Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

its there first baby  and they are young so probably ddidnt understand  

but iv emailed  the embassy in madrid so maybe  it will help

ty for your help very much apreciated

Like 0      
18 Sep 2015 9:29 AM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

kazy08 - what sad story and I hope it had a happy ending, Suggest you go in person with the baby, parents and all paperwork you have (passports, hospital rpeprts etc.) to the British embassy or local consulate and ask for help

Spanish bureaucracy can be a nightmare if you do not know what to do in advance.

for the OP then it seems the answer is to register your new born baby within 8 days to avoid any issues

Like 0      
18 Sep 2015 11:11 AM by kazy08 Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

i spoke to the british embassy in madrid  today and they said  they are going to help and  are 99% they can get our grandson back to the uk  so fingers crossed

will keep you posted 

apparently the town hall should of given  the parents  a print out of the birth certificate  even if they did register the baby late 

as all the other paperwork is in order as i sent it all to them

so fingers crossed and will let you know x

Like 0      
03 Nov 2015 2:18 PM by kazy08 Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

the papers went to torrevieja 3 weeks ago and still nothing we went there today  and basically  got told tuff you have to wait another 2 months   suppose to be goin home 18th november

Like 0      
03 Nov 2015 5:29 PM by GB45 Star rating in Wiltshire and holida.... 130 posts Send private message

Oh dear, sorry to hear that. Spanish bureaucracy is a nightmare although why everything should take so long is a mystery. It's a wonder anything gets done in the country. To be clear, I think that you said that your grandson was born in January. How can it take over a year before he is able to return to the UK? No need to answer that!!

Like 0      
03 Nov 2015 10:08 PM by kazy08 Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

i know it was because they registered him late as new parents ina  different country didnt know  about registering him within a certain time...........................its already been to one fiscal  in orihuela and has to be done  by another fiscal in torrevieja  which its been there now 3 weeks...................we are constantly on there case  and still nothing  all they say is that the latest date they will get it is  6th december   really dont know who to talk to now as spoke to  1000s of people about it  

we so need a miracle right now

Like 0      
03 Nov 2015 11:46 PM by blueeyes Star rating. 64 posts Send private message

I see that you have spoken to the UK embassy in Madrid, but have you tried the consulate in Alicante as you are near Torrevieja? I'm afraid I don't know their contact details, but they should be easy to find. Hope you can get it sorted.

Like 0      
04 Nov 2015 12:32 AM by kazy08 Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

yes spoke to alicante  british embassy  they have rang  the registro civil and was told the same that it takes time and it will be done by the 6th dec...............iv emailed and rang so many different people and dont know what to do next

Like 0      
08 Jun 2017 7:58 PM by Betty1926 Star rating. 11 posts Send private message

Just seen ITV news. Is it safe to have a baby in a Spanish hospital.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

DO ANY MEMBERS KNOW THE BEST SAT T.V. SETUP TO GET - 10 posts
Property Management Question - 3 posts
Property prices - 54 posts
Buying dog accessories in Cadiz / Malaga area - 0 posts
Mallorca - 3 posts
Mijas Costa taxis for 5 people? - 2 posts
Castell de Ferro and Alhambra del Mar development bankruptcy - 4 posts
M & S Interealty, Torrevieja. Jose Maria Mena... - 0 posts
INFO REQUIRED - 2 posts
Mars for the naked eye - 0 posts
ANYONE THINKING OF SELLING THEIR PROPERTY, I'M LOOKING TO BUY. - 30 posts
Lovely apartment - Now reduced to 99 995 euros. - 2 posts
Road from Fuengirola to Alhaurin. - 5 posts
Thought for the day. - 1 posts
tourist train in Guardamar - 0 posts
Eos Team Help, please - 4 posts
Help need to post powerpoint on site - 1 posts
Urgently needed homes for Husky puppies - FREE - 4 posts
Why do cctv and lists of debtors breach data protection rules? - 10 posts
Can you recommend Vincent Real Estate, Benijofar? - 14 posts
What's your one best thing and one worst thing about Spain - 20 posts
looking for holiday apartment,, calahonda - 0 posts
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO EYE ON SPAIN - 2 posts
Motorcycle Insurance - 3 posts
I am that Dumb!! - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 15

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x