DO ANY MEMBERS KNOW THE BEST SAT T.V. SETUP TO GET

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
15 Jul 2010 12:00 AM by LOT Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

HI I CANT FIND THE BEST SAT T.V. SETUP FOR HOME G.B.  I HAVE SEEN SKY ANY HELP PLEASE ????????

Like 0      
15 Jul 2010 6:36 PM by TheBabyHireCentre Star rating in In between the two a.... 48 posts Send private message

TheBabyHireCentre´s avatar

Do you mean the best Sattellite TV setup for use in Spain to receive UK channels?

Like 0      
15 Jul 2010 10:50 PM by elena.vaz Star rating in In Loughton, but Id .... 28 posts Send private message

elena.vaz´s avatar

Hi, Ive seen whole packages for sale in Lidls in the UK for £60/£70 which includes the dish and receiver.  I was thinking about buying this for my apartment as satelite set ups in Spain without the monthly fees are expensive - around 1500 euros or so Ive read.

Has anyone had any experience of such this equipment?

Like 0      
15 Jul 2010 11:03 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

You can buy those same satellite setups in Spain from Brico houses, other DIY places for the same price.  You won't get Sky on them in Spain nor will you get freesat.  You will get some other satellites, mainly German or Dutch, but you can sometimes get BBC Prime and 24 hour news programmes.  Basically the dish is too small.  If you want satellite, you will need the bigger (and better made) dishes because you are right on the limit of the UK satellite footprints.  (Seems funny talking about this in the Driving in Spain forum ---- if you look at the TV in Spain forum further down you will see it has been discussed there).

IMHO you are just as well off using the TDT (Spanish Digitial TV) with an outside aerial.  Plenty of English (ie American) programmes on which do a dual language broadcast.  You will not, though, get any English news channels.

If you do want the freesat channels, plenty of advertisers now do these for around (or under) the €500 mark which includes dish, lnb, receiver, remote and installation.  Depends where you live on the size of the dish and, again, this has been discussed under TV in Spain including footprint maps which show the size of dish you'll need.

Like 0      
29 Jul 2010 9:44 PM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

Yep!

I agree with Bobaol.

This subject has been discussed to death on this forum!

Come on people, do a bit of research before you post a 'new' question!

The kits in Lidl and the like are for 'Mobile Homes' and they will not pick up 'Sky' on the CDS or indeed most of Spain

On the CDS you will need at least a 1.80cm Sat Dish and you will also need someone who knows what they are doing, as most so called 'Sat Engineers' out here don't even carry a Sat Finder leave alone know how to use one, and just elevate and point the dish to 'more or less that's it' kind of installation.

And ask them about changing the 'skew' on the LNB and they will look at you as if you are speaking an alien language!

www.andalucianstyle.com

Me, the Mrs and Rosie too! But we'll never, ever forget our Tyler!

We support AAA Abandoned Animals Marbella - Do you?

Like 0      
30 Jul 2010 1:32 AM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

"just elevate and point the dish to 'more or less that's it' kind of installation".

That's exactly what I did, been working fine for 6 years and saved myself a packet on installation!

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
30 Jul 2010 11:32 AM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

If you know what you are doing, then you can get away with it for the most, but do you loose signal when it rains?

Because if the dish isn't aligned correctly then that's what will happen!

Using a Sat finder will ensure that you are locked onto the correct satellite, as there a 16 Astra Satellites in orbit, and you need  to lock onto those at 28.2° east for UK Sat services. It will also allow you to ensure that you can position the dish to obtain the highest, stable signal, as fluctuating signals will also lead to reception problems.

I've been having this same argument discussion with the 'Engineers' that keep trying to 'fix' our community sat system, and almost two years on, we still have problems. Having said that, the system that the promoter installed is sub-standard and hopefully we can get rid of our illegal president this year at the AGM, change Administrators and then get it sorted out.

If not, then I'm going to put a dish up on my roof terrace!

If you are going to DIY, then there is a great guide at UK Satellite TV.

www.andalucianstyle.com

Me, the Mrs and Rosie too! But we'll never, ever forget our Tyler!

We support AAA Abandoned Animals Marbella - Do you?

Like 0      
30 Jul 2010 12:53 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

When it rains, and there's surface water on your dish, it doesn't matter how well aligned it is, you'll get signal problems as the water particles "reflect" the beam away from the LNB. Happens even with smaller dishes. If you can get the wife to stand outside with an umbrella over the dish while it's raining, you should still be able to watch the whole match uninterrupted.

Mark Twain

Like 0      
30 Jul 2010 5:06 PM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

Hi all...

Just a quick addition to the thread...on Monday 2nd August Lidl have a 4 port LNB on offer at 17.99€. So if you have a single sat dish you can feed up to four sat receivers...also on offer are a Free to Air Sat receiver for 39.99€,  HDMI cables for 4.99€ and and a 4Gb micro SD card with adaptor for 9.99€.

So for those who are independent of communal areas heres a chance to have sat TV in up to four rooms....at a relatively low cost.

Incidentally, from practical experience, on Astra 2D at 28.2E, it is possible to receive some signals from the UK on a 80cm dish but these will break up after about 8pm. Setting up an 80cm dish in azimuth is relatively easy using a Satfinder (Maplin) but elevation is very tight just a fraction off will lead to signal loss. With a larger dish (1.8m or greater) it's a lot easy because of the stronger signal capture.

fb

http://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Like 0      
30 Jul 2010 7:47 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

OK, how many people had to look up "azimuth"?

Mark Twain

Like 0      
04 Aug 2010 3:11 PM by GuyT Star rating. 511 posts Send private message

A few months ago I picked up a Ross sat tv kit from a pile next to the checkout at Homebase for £80. I think they had them in for the world cup. It has a 65 cm dish. When i got back to Spain (Villanueva de la Vera, Caceres) I bolted the bracket/dish to an upright post on my porch, took ten minutes. The instructions recommended using dishpointer.com . - click on the google earth template and it gives you the direction, elevation, and the amount you must turn the LNB thingy which sends the signal to your receiver box. Another ten mins tops. Just needed a compass to get the general direction, common sense to get the elevation roughly right, ie 22% and then wiggle the dish around while my wife watched on the TV for the signal strength number which was displayed. Finally twist the LNB to get the best reception. I played around with a few different satellites they recommended and settled for one which gives me about 1000 stations. Of which twenty are English language news programs, from Sky, BBC, China News, Bloomberg, Cnn, Russia TV, etc. The rest are European stations, not of a lot of use, but fun to flick through if bored.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Property Management Question - 3 posts
Property prices - 54 posts
Buying dog accessories in Cadiz / Malaga area - 0 posts
Mallorca - 3 posts
Mijas Costa taxis for 5 people? - 2 posts
Castell de Ferro and Alhambra del Mar development bankruptcy - 4 posts
M & S Interealty, Torrevieja. Jose Maria Mena... - 0 posts
INFO REQUIRED - 2 posts
Mars for the naked eye - 0 posts
ANYONE THINKING OF SELLING THEIR PROPERTY, I'M LOOKING TO BUY. - 30 posts
Lovely apartment - Now reduced to 99 995 euros. - 2 posts
Road from Fuengirola to Alhaurin. - 5 posts
Thought for the day. - 1 posts
tourist train in Guardamar - 0 posts
Eos Team Help, please - 4 posts
Help need to post powerpoint on site - 1 posts
Urgently needed homes for Husky puppies - FREE - 4 posts
Why do cctv and lists of debtors breach data protection rules? - 10 posts
Can you recommend Vincent Real Estate, Benijofar? - 14 posts
What's your one best thing and one worst thing about Spain - 20 posts
looking for holiday apartment,, calahonda - 0 posts
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO EYE ON SPAIN - 2 posts
Motorcycle Insurance - 3 posts
I am that Dumb!! - 0 posts
what happens if you ignore dacion en pago and just chuck the keys in? - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 11

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x