Why do cctv and lists of debtors breach data protection rules?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
13 Jul 2010 12:00 AM by promedia Star rating in Cheshire/Riviera del.... 134 posts Send private message

Am i going crazy???? i'm sure that I read in one of the papers or magazines that there were a whole host of new rules regarding the "data protection"  laws in spain that said it was illegal for cctv to be used on community and that it was breaching peoples rites to put up lists in the community portals or on the notice boards of residents that had unpaid community fees, - the name and shame lists as we call them.

did anyone else read this information and have any clarification on it as the fines they were talking about were huge for a community to pay when someone was in debt to them....... has Spain has gone mad or is it just me??? 

Ian Cook - Golf Gardens Miraflores - The best place to live on the Costa del Sol

"A day without sunshine is like.................night"

Like 0      
13 Jul 2010 3:59 PM by Hammer100 Star rating in Camposol, Mazarron. 94 posts Send private message

Hammer100´s avatar

I did read somewhere about some changes in Andalusia about something but didnt really take it in.

Can understand if they did, wonder how people would feel if Barclaycard had a website listing people in debt.

Dedicated Property Management - Mazarron http://www.mspvillaservices.com

Like 0      
13 Jul 2010 4:05 PM by promedia Star rating in Cheshire/Riviera del.... 134 posts Send private message

barclaycard and all the credit lending institutions submit their list of debtors to the credit rating companies, who in turn produce credit scores and a host of credit and financial information about us all............

I'm sure that most communities also have a list of debtors on their AGM accounts which are circulated to all residents and often put onto community websites...is this also a breach of human rites.

If nobody can tell anyone else who owes who money then where do we go from here........down the pub!!! 

Ian Cook - Golf Gardens Miraflores - The best place to live on the Costa del Sol

Like 0      
13 Jul 2010 4:14 PM by Hammer100 Star rating in Camposol, Mazarron. 94 posts Send private message

Hammer100´s avatar

"barclaycard and all the credit lending institutions submit their list of debtors to the credit rating companies, who in turn produce credit scores and a host of credit and financial information about us all............"

yeah I know but its not like bringing up the site and checking out mr and mrs jones next door.

But just like Experian and the like there are legal ways to do things to blacklist people. I mean I dont know all this may not breach data protection, would be something that the community leaders should know about though I would have thought.

Dedicated Property Management - Mazarron http://www.mspvillaservices.com

Like 0      
13 Jul 2010 4:35 PM by Karensun Star rating in Orihuela Costa. 1474 posts Send private message

Karensun´s avatar

According to the LHP a list of debtors must accompany the Community accounts. Otherwise how can the Community vote to take legal action which they MUST do at AGM to try and get the fees owing.

I also understood a list of debtors could be displayed actually in the Urbanisation as long as it is not in view of the general public.

Owners have a right to know who owes what.

Now a non-smoker !  

Like 0      
26 Oct 2010 12:32 AM by KevinW4 Star rating in London/Mojacar Playa. 25 posts Send private message

Sorry, that this is a somewhat old subject, but I'm a fairly recent joiner, so please allow me to bring this back to life...

We have a fairly weak president, and I appreciate that it's a no win situation, but sometimes actions need to be taken and being Mr Nice Guy is just asking for people to laugh behind your back. Your Administrator should know the HPL law etc and advise the correct procedures. We had this brought up at our AGM, firstly no Debtor can participate or vote, so that's an obvious way of checking who's in debt. Our President then wanted to remove the List of Debtors citing Data Protection so I simply asked for a complete list of all Owners that were NOT in Debt!! Subtract one List from al the Owners and you get the same result!!

There is too much fuss about protecting Debtors, but they are effectively stealing from the rest of the Community, especially if they are continuing to rent out their apartments and expecting to have their renters have unrestricted access to Community Pools and facilities. not so, I'd padlock their gates, garages etc with a prominent notice as to why and that until debts and penalties paid, no access available. Hit them financially and see how they respond. Deliberate Debtors are leeches on the Community funds.

Like 0      
26 Oct 2010 12:32 AM by KevinW4 Star rating in London/Mojacar Playa. 25 posts Send private message

Sorry, that this is a somewhat old subject, but I'm a fairly recent joiner, so please allow me to bring this back to life...

We have a fairly weak president, and I appreciate that it's a no win situation, but sometimes actions need to be taken and being Mr Nice Guy is just asking for people to laugh behind your back. Your Administrator should know the HPL law etc and advise the correct procedures. We had this brought up at our AGM, firstly no Debtor can participate or vote, so that's an obvious way of checking who's in debt. Our President then wanted to remove the List of Debtors citing Data Protection so I simply asked for a complete list of all Owners that were NOT in Debt!! Subtract one List from al the Owners and you get the same result!!

There is too much fuss about protecting Debtors, but they are effectively stealing from the rest of the Community, especially if they are continuing to rent out their apartments and expecting to have their renters have unrestricted access to Community Pools and facilities. not so, I'd padlock their gates, garages etc with a prominent notice as to why and that until debts and penalties paid, no access available. Hit them financially and see how they respond. Deliberate Debtors are leeches on the Community funds.

Like 0      

Like 0      
26 Oct 2010 1:11 AM by promedia Star rating in Cheshire/Riviera del.... 134 posts Send private message

KevinW4- its even more powerful when the satellite tv, electricity or water goes off for no aparent reason whilst renters are in the debtors apartment.

After the call to the debtor from the angry renters, the debtors always phone the president straight away to try and get things resolved for their clients......our president then refuses to assist them in anyway, as they have not paid their community fees so shouldnt expect any support back from the community...also worth adding into the AGM that the community will not activly assist debtors with any problems at their apartment.

Its surprising how many debtors pay up next day, rather than having to refund unhappy renters...works a treat, we only have two serious debtors after 5 years and both have left Spain and are having their apartments seized back by the banks, so we will lose most of the community fees owed...but we also lose the problem people. 

Like 0      
26 Oct 2010 1:41 PM by roddy1 Star rating in Leeds/ Balsicas. 250 posts Send private message

roddy1´s avatar

When purchasing on developments buyers are aware of the need for everyone to contribute to the community for the services provided. It's no good really having a "Mr Nice Guy" for President, you need someone who can tackle these situations, where the President won't be fobbed of with feeble excuses.

The problem is that most of these people no the system inside out, and just work it in their favour!........to me they are just a bunch of freeloaders!

Personally I would like to see communities with greater powers to enforce such stronger actions, by restricting non essential services.

This would also leave Presidents & Administrator's more time to carry on with other duties for the benefit of all the community.

Like 0      
26 Oct 2010 11:40 PM by KevinW4 Star rating in London/Mojacar Playa. 25 posts Send private message

I agree with "active" steps to get the message home to debtors, but there seems to be little help for Community Presidents so they know what they can and can't do without having to run to the Administrator every time.  Is there any official body that gives training for Community Presidents?

We have a "problem" Owner who regularly gets drunk and then comes home playing his radio loudly and hooting for his wife to help him out of his car. he's been regularly reported but seems to get away every time.

We've also got a subsidence problem with the road, but we don't seem to be asking the Promoter for his and his contractors insurance policies on which to claim repairs, but have apparently embarked on lengthy court proceedings. If it ever gets to court, I think the Promoter will just fold his company so we get nothing even if we win. The Administrator seems to think claiming on insurance is not correct, so what the f*** is the point of the Promoter obtaining the cover?

What seems sensible appears to not be the way things are done in Spain, more a case of who you know rather than any legal obligation.

Thanks for your comments and useful to know what can be done

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Can you recommend Vincent Real Estate, Benijofar? - 14 posts
What's your one best thing and one worst thing about Spain - 20 posts
looking for holiday apartment,, calahonda - 0 posts
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO EYE ON SPAIN - 2 posts
Motorcycle Insurance - 3 posts
I am that Dumb!! - 0 posts
what happens if you ignore dacion en pago and just chuck the keys in? - 0 posts
CAM mortgage rates - 0 posts
Van space from UK to Spain - 0 posts
Repossession Negotiation - 2 posts
returning to the uk - possibly for good - 0 posts
Where are you all - 0 posts
Personal Trainer - 3 posts
Landlord Wants Us Out 6 Weeks Into 6 month Contract - 4 posts
Growing Oranges and Lemons - 0 posts
Happy birthday to Susan and EOS - 7 posts
Repossession - 8 posts
THE FAITH - 1 posts
want to trade down and release some cash ? - 0 posts
A song for Spanish victory today! - 2 posts
The Faith - 0 posts
Help for best places to live on Costa Del Sol and finding work as British Nurse - 7 posts
Please tell my why - 4 posts
Useless Gadgets - 2 posts
Positive Breath Test - 5 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 11

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x