Paying money into Spanish Bank Account

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
09 Mar 2010 9:49 AM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

I had written a number of comments which I thought would be helpful but on scrolling down the previous replies I see that your mother has already contacted Nationwide by telephone and they weren't any help at all.

I did think that perhaps she had to confirm receipt of card before she could use it but I'm sure they would have dealt with that when she called.

It's been a while since I had a new card issued but I'm sure the last one was initiated by using it in an atm for the first time.

I also tried to send a general message to see if anyone could help out with your querry via my internet banking but it didn't work.

I'm going to pay a cheque in today so I'll also try to find out what's going on.  I cant remember seeing any notifications on the internet banking site and this is quite a radical change in policy.

Hopefully one of us in UK can find out why this has happened.  It must be very worrying for your mother not to be able to access her money.

Like 0      
09 Mar 2010 11:21 AM by tonypullicino Star rating. 73 posts Send private message

Hi All,,

When booking flights with RyanAir I use my prepaid credit card and no charges for the greedy little  '' Irish Man ''.

Ta Tony

Like 0      
09 Mar 2010 1:20 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

Didn't get very far with the girls at the paying in desks.  Only when I insisted did I get a contact number to use abroad other than the one listed for lost or stolen cards.

+44 1793 877 877

Neither had heard anything about people being unable to use their cash cards abroad.  In the window there was a large sign about changes to flex accounts due a change in banking rules.  They seemed to think that the problem would occur if you put the wrong number in.

Not very helpful but I did try, much to the annoyance of the people waiting in line.

Like 0      
09 Mar 2010 3:30 PM by sharonw Star rating in Coin, Malaga. 281 posts Send private message

sharonw´s avatar

Thanks very much, I really appreciate your help semijubilada,

I think as mum holds a cash card and these are being upgraded to a cash card+ she will not be able to draw cash in Spain, once in force.   I am sure there will be many people in her situation - why on earth do they do these things?!!

I think the best she can do is open a bank account in Spain and transfer (online) funds from Nationwide to her Spanish bank account (she has said she does not want to have her pension paid direct to Spain)!

Thanks everso again,

This message was last edited by sharonw on 09/03/2010.

Regards

Sharon

sharon@tmasspain.com

www.themortgageservicegroup.com

Like 0      
09 Mar 2010 4:26 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Well, my husband got nowhere with our Nationwide manager except to be told the cashcard is not what WE have for our flex a/c. He said he can't see anything changing for us.

My husband commented that MUCH was being discussed on Spanish forums & it was VERY CONFUSING & needs to be addressed.

Like 0      
09 Mar 2010 4:32 PM by sharonw Star rating in Coin, Malaga. 281 posts Send private message

sharonw´s avatar

Thanks for feedback More, again very much appreciated.

Regards

Sharon

sharon@tmasspain.com

Like 0      
09 Mar 2010 7:52 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

How long will your mother be in UK, if she has time then she could always go into a branch and try and transfer the account to one that does allow her to withdraw funds abroad.

They can ask for the new card to be fast tracked to be collected at the branch.

Like 0      
09 Mar 2010 8:09 PM by sharonw Star rating in Coin, Malaga. 281 posts Send private message

sharonw´s avatar

Thanks semijubilada, but she cannot open any new accounts as she is now resident in Spain - I guess there is no harm in her asking when she is back in April!

Regards

Sharon

sharon@tmasspain.com

Like 0      
10 Mar 2010 11:04 AM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

It depends on how helpful they want to be and who in the end you talk to.  She'll have to arrange an appointment and most of the people I have seen have been rather young.  Don't think there's anything that resembles a "Bank Manager" who would have been able to have sorted this out quickly and easily.

I suppose it depends on whether Nationwide have a hidden agenda with these new style cards or it's a genuine mistake and all those people resident abroad have been caught out by it.  If it's mistake then as I said the easiest thing would be to transfer the account to a normal flex account rather than cash card account.  Something a bank manager would have done instantly but now that everythings done via a computer then I suppose warning bells sound with the overseas address.

I would write to Nationwide Head Office asking for an explanation to this massive change in the account your mother holds.  They sent the new card to her in Spain so they have no problem with that but without the overseas withdrawal facility it's a useless item.

Like 0      
10 Mar 2010 11:15 AM by sharonw Star rating in Coin, Malaga. 281 posts Send private message

sharonw´s avatar

Thanks again semijubilada,

The letter she received said the new card will come out to her in September so she will follow it up in April - maybe by then the situation will be clearer!

Regards

Sharon

sharon@tmasspain.com

Like 0      
10 Mar 2010 4:20 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

Glad to hear that, thought she was unable to draw any money out until she went back to UK in April.  Still a worry but at least she has time to sort something out to her satisfaction.

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Cheapest way to play golf in The Costa del sol - 0 posts
Piano Teaching in Spain - 0 posts
WALK FROM mOUNTAIN pARK - 1 posts
Wow it is quiet!! - 12 posts
Hi All - moving to Alicante or Malaga areas - 5 posts
Speed cameras on Spanish roads - 12 posts
Understanding spanish bank statement - 2 posts
Wanted "old Snotter" - 0 posts
CD Collection for Sale. All originals, Good condition - 0 posts
FILM BOOK COLLECTION FOR SALE - 0 posts
Black-Brits and Others support network - 0 posts
Restaurant Expansion Launch Party Invite to all EOS subscribers!!!! - 2 posts
Electric Oven & Hob - La Tercia - 2 posts
Catral - 4 posts
Glass curtains - 0 posts
Other than Telefonica which is best company to use for telephone and internet - 13 posts
New feature for the community forums - Upload and share documents - 1 posts
7500kg truck for sale or swap 4x4. - 1 posts
Murcia - UK - Murcia Van. - 0 posts
Problems with Telefonica internet today - 31 posts
Entidad ByeLaws - 1 posts
Iberdrola price rise - 7 posts
Problems with developers - 19 posts
Hola the forum - 0 posts
TELITEC INTERNET - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 51

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x