VAT exemption

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
27 Dec 2009 12:00 AM by pbmgoossens Star rating in Costa Ballena, Cadiz. 11 posts Send private message

hello, am moving to spain and will import my car from Dubai. Dubai doesn't have VAT and i'm afraid i may get to pay it. has anyone got experience in this matter, and is there a way, i could avoid it. 

Like 0      
27 Dec 2009 3:01 PM by ayrez Star rating in La Marina Oasis. 379 posts Send private message

From what I can quickly see on the HMRC website if:

a. You have lived outside the EC for more than 12 months

and

b Are making this your permanent home

and

c Do not sell the vehicle within 12 months

You are able to import the vehicle along with your other personal effects both import duty and VAT free.

Regards

Jean

Like 0      
28 Dec 2009 7:21 AM by pbmgoossens Star rating in Costa Ballena, Cadiz. 11 posts Send private message

Thank you Jean.

That's indeed our plan. Now fingers crossed that all my paperwork is in order to achieve this.

best regards

Patrick

Like 0      
28 Dec 2009 11:50 AM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar

Patrick, see this link:  www.eyeonspain.com/forums/posts-long-2458.aspx

I remember asking this question before, when we were thinking of bringing a car from Dubai.  Don't know if anything has changed.  Also, the company you are using to ship your belongings should provide information on car import also.  We used Crown when we moved here in September and they provided all this sort of info, although I still asked the question re import duty.

I bought a car in Dubai in February this year (a top of the range LR2 to give you an idea of value) from a guy in Dubai who was moving to Fuengirola and he said that he could have imported it into Spain for about 10,000 Euros, but had decided to sell it.  He had owned it for a year.

I also recall a friend of a friend who imported a Jag from Dubai to Spain and it cost them dearly - had they decided to import it to the UK and then bring it over from there it would have cost them alot less, apparently.

Like 0      
02 Jan 2010 11:42 AM by pbmgoossens Star rating in Costa Ballena, Cadiz. 11 posts Send private message

Thanks a lot; i know that the shipping co should be able to tell us, but the more I know myself, the more i trust the whole process goes smoother.

Like 0      
02 Jan 2010 11:48 AM by pbmgoossens Star rating in Costa Ballena, Cadiz. 11 posts Send private message

Thanks Jan, I read the other thread now as well.

We will become residents in Spain though and are leaving Dubai. We'll see and take a gestor as well. I know there are some companies like Holmes registration doing the process for you. Around 3,000 eur is what they charge including fees, stamp duties etc. It may be worth leaving it to them.....Thanks again 

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Spain - UK - Spain end January. - 2 posts
Maria´s Christmas post - 2 posts
Merry Christmas - 6 posts
ECONORENT CAR HIRE ****FUEL RIP OFF BEWARE******* - 48 posts
Catholic Church Alcaidesa Area - 1 posts
Earthquake on Costa Del Sol last night? - 1 posts
Advice on Valencia please - 0 posts
Longing for the webcam to be fixed - 5 posts
Where to buy goods - 21 posts
MADRID TAPAS TOUR - 0 posts
Switzerland to Malaga - 0 posts
Goodbye to all......with a sad heart - 140 posts
mortgage approval - 6 posts
Temporary Car Swap - 0 posts
Web Camera - 0 posts
How Do You Delete A Blog? - 1 posts
Has the EOS webcam gone on holiday? - 6 posts
Feliz Navidad - 0 posts
Iberdola online registration probs - 7 posts
Will pay up to 25€ for a TV - 3 posts
Car Hire - Don't use HERTZ| - 4 posts
Christmas Holidays - 1 posts
Twitter? Anyone Twittering Out There? - 5 posts
Seaview Properties - 0 posts
Monarch flights Gatwick to Murcia cancelled - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 6

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x