Banks who made the mess... need to restore now

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
07 Mar 2009 12:00 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Ask your Spanish bank if they have got a good deal for a house in Spain.

As if they were real estate agencies, financial institutions in Spain are showing the poster "House for sale”. Banks and savings banks have increased their real estate assets in 2008- up to 7806 million euros- due to mortgage executions and developers´ loan of difficult recovery.

Now it is needed to put these properties in the market to do business, but the damaged area of construction and real estate does not make it easy. Therefore, banks have decided to create real estate societies that have launched attractive offers to employees and customers.

As one of the majors causers of the current financial unbalance and as excessive earners as they were during the real estate boom, it is time for them to offer a social help in order to bring normality back to the real estate arena and the financial status of the world. Time to reduce those obscene benefits in favour or restoration of financial order. I think this is where most of the needed oxygen needs to come from. But I am not an economist and have no expert knowledge. It is just a common sense thought related to balance and equilibrium.   

Banco Santander, has real estate valued 2.634 million euros which were purchased to repay failed loans. The Estate Company of the Bank is named “Altamira Santander Real State” and its aim is to market its residential developments. The entity chaired by Emilio Botin analysed and came to the conclusion that acquiring the financed assets, after the failure of repayments, was the best way to recover the huge debt.

Last January, the 12th, they started to offer those properties to the Bank’s employees, with discounts of up to 25% of the market price. They have recently extended the offer to 300 properties for sale, rent or rent to buy, as the initial campaign was very successful.  

Santander says it is planned to gradually extend the offer to workers in other countries like the United Kingdom, Portugal or Germany and, ultimately, the general public through its offices, brochures and Web www.altamiraSantander.com.

Santander should not look to market benefits here but to restoration and social function of Financial Institutions.
Some other banks with Real Estate divisions are:

Banesto: Promodorus wants to locate his real estate portfolio valued at 1.134 million euros. Has launched the website Banesto Vivienda.

Banco Sabadell: Solvia Gestión. 80% of assets are concentrated in Catalonia and Madrid and the remaining 20% is shared by other communities. The group released between employees and family members a first development of 65 houses at a price 25% below the market two years ago.

Banco Popular: Aliseda includes its properties in its website www.bancopopular.es

Caja de Ahorros del Mediterráneo through its real estate division CAM sell Real Estate Opportunities.  Around 475 flats with discounts of 20%. It also offers 100% financing, which is very advantageous in a time when many institutions are hesitant to fund only 80% or less.

Caixa Catalunya
was the first to make available to the public 3,000 housing units located throughout Spain. The name of its web is www.procam.net, and contains flats with discounts reaching 30%.   They offer special mortgage solutions for the acquisition of a house and also the option of renting. They also have external agents for marketing their houses and its network of 1,200 branches.

Unicaja is currently studying various ways to market its real estate.

Price reductions over 20% are considered necessary by the experts in order to sell these units.

What do you think?

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
08 Mar 2009 4:34 PM by rosegreen Star rating. 52 posts Send private message

Dear Maria,

I was vry interested in your article re buying from the bank at a discounted price inlieu of getting your money(in our case bank guarantee) returned.

As you know we arestill awaiting the return of our deposit from the Bank Of

galiciak  Our solicitor has assurred us that our case has been won in the courts as the bank did not contest within the time allowed,  We very much want to spend a major part of our latter years in Spain.  Do you know if the Bank of Galicia are interested in this type of venture.

RFegards.

rosegreen

v

Like 0      
08 Mar 2009 4:47 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Dear RoseGreen:

I cannot see thet offer by Banco de Galicia, but it might be necessary to contact the Bank directly.

I seriously think that, together with the cheapest way to buy properties in Spain, it is the rightest way for the market to react now.

Best,

Maria

This message was last edited by mariadecastro on 3/8/2009.

Lawyer

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
10 Mar 2009 8:01 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Come on... more comments needed here.

Maria

Lawyer

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
10 Mar 2009 12:51 PM by myra cecilia Star rating in Manilva Malaga. 213 posts Send private message

Though I usually support Maria and still will on most issues, I have to say that this is a disgraceful situation. It is a crime that the banks should be propped up by governments which is our tax money.  It’s not only that the public borrowed. The banks pushed and never once advised that the interest rates could reach such a height. They are making millions out of this situation whilst so many people are losing their homes and all the money they paid as a deposit, the notary and lawyers fees and the payments that they have struggled to make to date. Even more disgraceful is that these properties should be sold to bank employees and buyers from abroad at a reduced rate. These same banks are refusing to assist the very people that have paid for these properties. Remember there are more people losing their properties becoming homeless than there are buyers. The crisis is no accident but orchestrated by the main banks that lend to the smaller banks. Once again we are accepting another crisis. It’s the ordinary people that pay the costs.

Myra Cecilia. www.costaadvicebureau.com

Like 0      
10 Mar 2009 1:07 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Dear Myra:

It is a pleasure and a honour  to have you contributing to this thread. Thanks a lot.

I think we agree at the end of the day.

My real  point is that the unbalance that was created by the financial sector into the Estate  arena needs to be corrected by them, deflating prices and renouncing benefits.

Houses will be available to much more people adn even those who lost their homes could start thinking again maybe through renatl with option to purchase.

You know I am redically consumer-oriented. It is a good way to contast some bad effects of a fierce capitalism.

Best from Algeciras... by the way... why do not  you come and visit us... I would love to introcude you to the rest of the tam you did not met in Sabibillas last year.

Maria

Lawyer

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
10 Mar 2009 5:34 PM by kelju Star rating in South Yorkshire . 302 posts Send private message

kelju´s avatar

What I do not understand is why the Banks have to reposess a property when someone falls on hard times such as this current credit crunch and loses their job and cannot keep up the repayments. 

If they have kept up with the payments on a mortgage with no previous problems then surely it is better for all concerned for the person to stay in the property and either pay a reduced amount each month or have a total payment holiday for 6 months or even a year.  What good does it do to reposses the property and then sell it at a greatly reduced price?

Instead of governments pumping money into the banks to prop them up, why not give the money to the common citizen to pay off their outstanding mortgage debt? 

This would give the banks the money they need to survive, leave the homeowner with no mortgage debt and therefore more disposable income to spend on goods and services thus keeping people and companies in work.

The first poitician that puts this forward as a solution will definitely get my vote.

Kel

Like 0      
11 Mar 2009 12:36 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Kelju: I am fully for mortgage vacation... of course and I think your proposal  is a very sensible one.

Anyhow, in those cases ( maybe of second residency purchase) a voluntary  dation in payment is also a good relief for many people. You give the house back to the Bank and forget about the loan. No negative reports iin creditor´s databases. You are meeting your debt risponsably.

What do you think?

Lawyer

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
13 Mar 2009 6:27 PM by Damatt Star rating in South Wales/Algorfa. 78 posts Send private message

I cant see the Banks doing anything in the short term.

My feeling is that they are building up their reserves with the billions being pumped in by Government. Interest rates are 0.5% loan rates are still 7.9% if you are lucky or even as high as 19.5%. Credit cards still have interest rates over 14.5% and many mortgages are still over 3%, what an amount of EXTRA money that is. All organisations owned and run by Banks.

In Spain, I fee the Banks are a bigger rip off with mortages, in many instances only being reviewed every 12 months or so and the rate may have gone down in that period to say 1%, but you may still be paying 5.5%, but when it comes time for your review, then it is back up to say 4%, so for 12 months you have over paid and there is nothing for you.

Toxic debts, what are they. My understanding is that they are loans which have been given to those who may not be able to pay them off, the client may still be struggling to pay, but that client falls into a category who MAY not pay. So, because the Banks tried to help someone they should not have helped, they MAY and only MAY come unstuck, so have they classed them as debts instead of projected profit.

It is amazing how these Banks made Billions last year, but when the crunch came they made a loss, then when the money bailed them out, they made billions again.

To me, and I am just a local Joe the Plumber, who tries to make an honest living doing what ever he can to keep food on the table, thinks, that we have been had. The Bank of Englad should have said, TOUGH, if we bail you out, we take you over and Nationalise you. Everyone and I mean everyone will apply for their jobs to work for the National Bank, no favouritism for Sir Ivor Quid who may be the Chairman of one of the Banks, time on the dole would do him good, we do not need all these over paid so called Managers with no qualifications in Banking, but just went Eaton.

I will shut up now before I go on to far - oh I have done already.

Dave

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Artificual Stone Furniture - 0 posts
Rover 416 for sale. Taxed and perfect if you are going home to UK - 1 posts
Hunting for a 2-3 Bedroom Apt in Calahonda - Seeking Advice - 4 posts
mortgage underwriting - 1 posts
Long Term Car Hire - 1 posts
Rent to Buy - 3 posts
Friendly residents - 5 posts
Has anybody ever heard of this card - 1 posts
JET2 flights Murcia to Edinburgh 99pence plus tax - 9 posts
NIE - new requirements for dependent children - 0 posts
Simulsat - Los Montesinos - 9 posts
For those in Malaga and the CDS - 0 posts
Youtube Videos... - 2 posts
cannot read personal message - 1 posts
Anyone around this weekend? - 6 posts
gas bbq's - 4 posts
Wanted Exercise Bike - 1 posts
The Rat Book - 1 posts
The Rat Book - 0 posts
End of Nationwide free withdrawals - 4 posts
Europa Customers Check Your Bills - 9 posts
IS MONALISA OUT THERE? - 4 posts
fantastic bargain new golf clubs for sale! - 0 posts
MOVING TO NERJA - 0 posts
Put off by the credit crunch? - 8 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 9

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x