Last minute thoughts about size of Spanish mortgage!!

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
04 Mar 2007 12:00 AM by dealerjm Star rating. 47 posts Send private message

Just about to complete and sitting on a hefty sum of Euros, when I read a thread about the benefits of bumping up the Spanish mortgage ( only borrowing 40% at present) and instead using the money to pay off more of the U.K mortgage (probably most of it!).  Not only because the interest rates are still favourable in Spain ( though this is on the wane) but because I live in sin with my beloved and Spanish  IHT seems to be a bit of a brute  for her if I exited stage right!!  By the way I was planning to put the Spanish property in joint names if this helps the analysis. 

Any thoughts on this as I usually read these things and get them wildly wrong.

And yes, I know I should consult an expert, but they cost money, I'm never sure how expert some of these people are, and almost certainly someone out there has faced the same dilemma.

Thanks 

Like 0      
05 Mar 2007 12:06 AM by JeansSis Star rating. 2376 posts Send private message

JeansSis´s avatar

" I live in sin with my beloved "

Do we hear wedding bells dealerjm ? Guess you may need to pay out for expert advice. PM Maria here.

Maria L. de Castro

Lawyer

www.costaluzlawyers.es

Like 0      
05 Mar 2007 6:04 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar
From IHT perspective you might be better to clear Uk debt than Spanish - however you need to consider your situation in the UK as well, as cohabiting couple dont enjoy the same benefits as married I believe - if you can put your other half on the Escritura you should do so but you may find it is too late without incurring transfer tax - authorities have tightened up on the whole procedure. To be more specific you need to be more specific.

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      
05 Mar 2007 6:51 PM by dealerjm Star rating. 47 posts Send private message

Jeans Sis, tinnitus can be a terrible thing!! Take your point re expert help though.

Smiley,I would like to be more specific but not sure how specific ?? Spanish property circa £400k and U.K property circa £700k with both properties set for about £150k mortgage outstanding. My partner has no financial interest in either, but my thought was that in the event of my demise, she has six months in the U.K to sell the property to pay the U.K IHT, but in Spain I understand that she can't sell the property to pay the Spanish IHT.......so I concluded best to keep the mortgage higher in Spain and defray the amount of Spanish IHT by joint ownership.

At this point you go and mention transfer tax..............???????              

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Toys for kids - 10 posts
renting for 10 days from 29 march - 4 posts
HOW to resize a picture - 1 posts
Difference between Turistico Licence & Habitation Licence - 5 posts
No question too simple - 10 posts
law on static caravans - 0 posts
Youtube - 0 posts
Youtube - 3 posts
OVP-lawsuit against Aifos - 0 posts
director buying plot on development - 5 posts
Development at Benalmadena. - 1 posts
Webcam watching cafes on Torrevieja front etc - 0 posts
Our Justin - 1 posts
Goodnight thread, sleep tight, don't let the bed bugs bite - 102 posts
ANY ONE COME ACROSS A BREADMAKER - 7 posts
Lunar Eclipse - 17 posts
Schools in Spain - 7 posts
NEW .... SEARCH FACILITY UP & RUNNING, YIPPEEEEEEEEEEE !!! - 17 posts
Insurers only Insure per Sq Mts not for value of Propety - 6 posts
Nearest A&E unit to Duquesa - 2 posts
WANTED....3 BED APPARTMENT TO RENT.... Calahonda / Elviria area for Christmas - 0 posts
lewis - 0 posts
Water/Electricity Connection Charges - 5 posts
spanish will/inheritance tax - 1 posts
gines serran pagan´s paintings for sale - 9 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 4

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x