Volunteers needed for children's charity in Malaga

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
19 Feb 2009 12:00 AM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

LIVE, the ex pat charity supporting the children’s home in Malaga, is looking for volunteer drivers and helpers. 

Since its inception in 2004, LIVE – Los Internacionales viven in España – has raised funds, organised Christmas parties and presents, collected jumble and treated the children from the home to fun days out. But with only five committee members and an increasing profile the LIVE team need help to carry on their work for the Home.  
Situated on the outskirts of Malaga and flanked by shanty towns, La Ciudad de Los Niños is home to children taken into care and also a haven for the street children of the nearby “chabolas” – shanty towns.   

“I’m delighted that so many people want to support our cause and the response in recent weeks has been overwhelming, and that’s why we need more help.  We’re getting calls every day from people wanting to donate items to the Home, which is wonderful but it’s getting to the stage when we’re struggling to keep up with demand.

That’s why I’m hoping to find supporters willing to do collections and deliveries to the Home and generally help out when we get to overload.   

We’re looking for people with cars willing to give a couple of hours each month to help us.  It may be there are business people who do a regular run to suppliers in Malaga driving in with an empty vehicle who could make a short detour to the Home to deliver items we’ve collected for them.  We would love to hear from people up and down the region who would be prepared to act as co-ordinators for items donated. It would only involve a couple of hours each month and the personal achievement by helping the Home is hugely rewarding.” 

If you would like to help the Malaga Children’s Home please contact Brian Marsh  620 791 441 on Your call will be much appreciated. 

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
18 Mar 2009 7:11 AM by charliesangel Star rating. 7 posts Send private message

I have been trying to contact Bryan for 2 weeks now to volunteer my help. Is the phone no correct. I wonder how many other people are trying to contact him? I have left 2 messages and called several times with no answer. Can anyone help with this?

Like 0      
18 Mar 2009 10:41 AM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

Try contacting Brian their the Live Spain website.

Thanks for your persistence.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
22 Nov 2013 12:17 PM by mickcfc Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Have done this work before in usa sports only football siwming volley ball ect.

Like 0      
22 Nov 2013 1:31 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Ten years ago I looked at La Cuidad de Los Niños with a view to raising money for them,  having been inspired to do so when I made a donation, through a 'Shared Holiday' company on the CDS.    I was given to believe that the organization was an orphanage run by priests who begged for out of date food in Malaga to feed the children. 

I was a little concerned that the receipt I received from the ‘Shared Holiday’ company,  for my donation was just an un-numbered  'complimentary slip' which could not have been audited.  I also found that the company had not made the necessary arrangements to claim back the IVA on donations made by their staff over the previous couple of years from their monthly salary, thus 'losing' that potential additional income for the charity.

Over the next couple of weeks, I made two visits La Cuidad de Los Niños, accompanied by an Accountant who had previously worked in UK investigating bankruptcies, and a former retired Spanish teacher and local authority funcionario.  The visits were deliberately made without notice.  

I was concerned to find that the ‘permanent children’ most of whom returned to their families each evening or at weekends, were mixed with delinquent children, including male prostitutes and drug addicts,  picked up off the streets by the police to be assessed before they were  moved to ‘more appropriate’  facilities.  In order to make the necessary assessments, the establishment was required to pay a much larger teaching staff than would have otherwise been needed.

I was also ‘disappointed’ that the senior priest at the time of my visits, was taking an extended break at an expensive Health Spar near Granada, albeit we were told it was paid for by grateful parishioners, and only one of the other two priests working there, was in attendance on just one of the visits and that the establishment was almost deserted:  Just a few children and a couple of staff.

I also found that the two mini-buses in the yard,  painted to show they had been donated by a prominent chain of real estate offices on the coast, had in fact been part-exchanged and the chain had paid the relatively small difference.  After I contacted the CEO of the chain, I understand the ‘misleading wording’ was removed from the buses.

Subsequently the two people, who had accompanied me on the visits,  and I, decided the establishment was not what it appeared to be, and thus  we could not lend our names to support an appeal for funds. 

I do not know how, if at all, the establishment may have changed since we made our investigations.

This message was last edited by johnzx on 22/11/2013.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Angel de Miraflores Mijas good or bad - 3 posts
unsatisfactory furniture what is procedure? Help please Maria - 1 posts
IF you booked car hire in Spain some months ago for the future CHECK LATEST PRICES - 26 posts
INTERNET EXPLORER PROBLEM - 7 posts
Aval and Express Evcitions - 12 posts
what to include in a vivendia contract - 1 posts
Audi 80 convertible for sale.. - 2 posts
any pet friendly accomodation out there? - 0 posts
helicopteros sanitarios - ending contract - 6 posts
Big reductions in asking prices - 17 posts
Distressed Sales- before repossession! - 1 posts
Paperwork regarding Spanish reg car in UK. - 3 posts
Altos De La Zubia - 1 posts
The evil of Cancer - 5 posts
Vias verdes in Spain - 2 posts
playa flamenca - 0 posts
URGENT sale of contract at Las Terrazas de la Torre very good discount - 0 posts
carol - 2 posts
What does PRI stand for? - 5 posts
Chris - 0 posts
Estepona Carnival 20th Feb - 1 posts
actual dates of fiestas in Costa Blanca - 0 posts
How to find out who owns a property - 9 posts
Buying furniture in the UK to ship to Spain - 10 posts
New rules imposed before first AGM - 8 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 5

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x