so many charges and taxes

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
02 Feb 2009 12:00 AM by glenn&kerry Star rating. 20 posts Send private message

we have recently compled on our new holiday apartment on the CDS. we have seen many posts on different charges and taxes and was wondering if there is anyone who can provide a list of the different ones that will relate to us. theres so many things flying around about fiscal representation, wills, community fees and whats included, inheritance tax, IB something that i dont know if im coming or going!!

any help would be much appreciated.

thanks

Like 0      
02 Feb 2009 11:45 AM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2626 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Crikey, where to start

IBI is the equivalent of your Council tax and is billed by the Town Hall.

Basura is your rubbish collection tax (we still haven't managed to register for that yet!!).

Renta tax which is levied as all non resident owners are assumed to rent out their property.

Spanish Income tax if you decide to rent your property (plus really you should let HMRC know about your little bolt hole as they want a piece of the pie too!)

Wealth tax has been abolished, but there are still some areas I think it is still valid.

Community fees are levied by your community and cover maintenance of the facilities, contact your administrator.

Spanish will is advisable, otherwise if an unhappy event should occur, you will be treated as a Spaniard.

Fiscal rep, I haven't got one yet. Our solicitor did our taxes this year and they were €33 each, the fiscal rep wanted €150 to do the return!

I'm sure there are others, and if I have made a mistake I will be summarily chastised . But these should be enough to be going on with .

Mark

Like 0      
02 Feb 2009 12:17 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

EDITED TO ADD: It took me so long to write this that Mark got in before me & answered.  

Hi both

Yes, taxes etc, a minefield to a new owner ... welcome to owning a holiday home in Spain like us.

We pay community fees by Direct Debit & that is up to each community to decide when & just how much. Some pay monthly, quarterly, half yearly, we pay ours annually because that's what our community have decided.

We pay electricity every two months, water every three months, both by Direct Debit, the norm. Our Basura (refuse tax) is included in our water bill.

We pay IBI taxes annually usually around Sept/Oct, this is like the UK council tax. We pay this directly to the Suma local office.

Then you need to arrange to pay income tax . (You will likely need to instruct a fiscal rep to pay this on your behalf. The form has just changed because now non residents don't pay wealth tax which was submitted on the old form but it's in Spanish   so a fiscal is probably best for the 1st year anyway then you could tackle doing your own.

I can hear you saying ' but why do we have to pay income tax, we don't have income in Spain !' If you do NOT rent out your property you do still have to pay income tax though at a lower rate. Too many don't supply the Spanish tax office with details of earnings from their rentals as tax is a whopping 25% so everyone ends up having to pay something, which is disgusting especially as we lock our house up when we leave Spain & no one is there except us & we do not have income as some do.

You should both make Spanish wills, that's important. Cost around 150€ each. See your lawyer.

Bet I've left lots off.  We still sometimes feel we don't know if we're coming or going & we completed April 2005 !!

This message was last edited by morerosado on 2/2/2009.

Like 0      
04 Feb 2009 3:08 PM by glenn&kerry Star rating. 20 posts Send private message

thanks both for your help, it gives me something to be getting along with. im sure i will come across many more in the future!!

thanks again.

Like 0      
13 Feb 2009 10:46 AM by Property On Finca Parcs Star rating in UK & Spain. 29 posts Send private message

Dear Glenn & Kerry,

When I bought in Spain my findings before I bought were exactly the same and it did look to be a mindfield out there. However my Consultant who operates from the UK & Spain showed me a completely legal way of removing Taxation in Spain. This was by method of Ownership in a UK Limited Company. I have also been communicating via a previous post to Members headed "How TO Avoid Spanish Inheritance Tax" , I think it well may be worth reading for some ideas.

If you would like me to pass on my Consultants details to you for your reference then please let me know.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Start my New Job Today - 15 posts
landscaper of any theme ask me questions - 0 posts
Are you having trouble contacting your property manger on Costa del Sol? - 0 posts
What is the most cost effective way for moving your furniture to Spain from the UK. - 13 posts
What is the most cost effective way for moving your furniture to Spain from the UK. - 6 posts
Dealing with funerals in UK and living in Spain - 17 posts
Successfully sued a builder for not providing facilities promised? - 0 posts
Furniture fitters (Costa Blanca area) - 1 posts
Any help would be appreciated. - 3 posts
Mazarron Country Club - 9 posts
Unable to obtain mortgage! - 14 posts
JUSTIN: Advice sought re Googling for EOS (& others) .. may harm my PC (WOT ?!?) - 17 posts
JUSTIN: Search facility - 2 posts
Fortuna Golf, Mercia. - 3 posts
Apartment rental wanted - 2 posts
Traditional Spanish bbq Heredades - 0 posts
Damp in apartments - 2 posts
MARIA - Can you or anybody else offer ANY advice please. - 0 posts
Swimming Pool - 30 posts
Carnaval de Cádiz - 0 posts
car tax - 12 posts
Not sure what to do. - 8 posts
COSTA DEL SOL ACTION GROUP - 2 posts
Costa del Sol One bedroom apartment wanted rental period February 21 to March 13, 2009 - 0 posts
ANDULACIAN DREAM HOMES AGENTS IN FUENGIROLA - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 5

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x