Life style thoughts on 2009-what are yours?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
09 Jan 2009 12:00 AM by rowlandsbb Star rating in Gloucestershire &Hue.... 779 posts Send private message

rowlandsbb´s avatar

Hi everyone 

Welcome to a New Year…decided to post a few thoughts!

Just for a minute, whilst you read this try, if that is possible, to forget all the depressing economic problems which seem to be ahead for 2009

There is the odd good thing out there if you are in the position to finance a holiday/part or full time life style home, interest rates are exceptionally low and make the cost of buying lower than it has ever been!…and likely to remain so for some time

And prices are low

The sun still shines in Spain and the life style is still good and ‘to repeat’ there are some excellent buys to be found  

I have bought in Spain because I think medium to long term there are many plusses, not just the weather and life style but because the fundamentals for the future are positive and better than most other countries…and to be blunt by spending my winters mainly in Spain I will live longer!

Spain and France are established EU economies [OK in trouble like the rest of us just now], have always been the most popular with buyers from UK and are expected to remain so

Personal choice, which you choose and my choice is Spain near Huercal Overa for my part time home

So I am perhaps a bit biased when I say that these are the two best countries within easy access from UK best suited for life style buyers

And in most locations in Spain I think you get the best value for your money…so it is Spain for me

All developers have to make sales so just now almost everyone is prepared to negotiate when they see a potential buyer come through their door!

Whilst no one ever knowingly buys at the bottom of the property cycle, getting a good deal now may just turn out be pretty good when in the future you look back at the price you paid!

Off plan may suit some peoples time scale and they are still there to buy but the attraction of buying at today’s price for completion in 2 years has gone for the time being…unless of course you get a really good price!

Certainly when there are some very good ‘new ready now’ just waiting to be snapped up

Just now there is a big attraction in ’seeing what you get’

You can find some good re sale bargains but many sellers are just sitting tight, so to get a good deal you have to find a seller who has to sell or accepts the fact that they can drop the price in €’s substantially because of the exchange rate, if they are going to repatriate the funds to UK 

And if it is a UK seller you can always do the deal in £’s to cut out the fluctuations in rate

Everyone is asking why buy in Spain in 2009?

If you are 60 and approaching retirement and have decided to spend time in the sun then waiting for the recovery in say 2 years time, is a lot of lost life style enjoyment when the clock is ticking!

But work your finances out and get a good deal

Families in secure jobs but with an eye on value for money where a holiday home can produce some very cost effective holidays long term compared with other alternatives

And you are helped, if you have a good deposit, because there are still some very good mortgages available, with good interest only periods to keep the payments low in the early days

Everyone can benefit from low interest rates

So if you are wanting a part/full time retirement home or a holiday home the opportunities in Spain still compare very favourably with what is on offer in UK, France and elsewhere

And very importantly, the regulations governing developments have tightened up so it is just as safe to buy in Spain as in UK…..as long as you allow your head to rule your heart!

Let also hope that those developments where buyers have problems will in the end get sorted…the recession may help in this direction

So I suppose the point I am trying to make is that even with the doom and gloom there are opportunities for many people to take advantage of just now in Spain!

I accept that by nature I am pragmatic [well I like to think so and certainly adopt that approach to property]…..but also optimistic

A cynic would say [& possibly quite rightly] that as an agent I am bound to be optimistic but you know when you get to my time of life and now working in my 4th recession you have to be!!!!!……..  

Now back to real time

For me and I think for ‘life style buyers’ …..life is for living…..provided of course you can get your finances sorted……but 2009 is certainly not a year for taking a big risk

This message was last edited by rowlandsbb on 1/9/2009.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

WARNING WHEN BUYING A NEW LEFT HAND DRIVE CAR - 5 posts
Holiday rental las kalendas - 0 posts
Education in Andalucia - 0 posts
Registering with schools for the first time .... - 25 posts
Buying a villa with planning permission issues - 2 posts
almeria airport carhire quote - 1 posts
Buying a villa with planning permission issues - 7 posts
Getting Older in Spain - 16 posts
Where are we holidaying this year? - 29 posts
we're giving the UK the fingers up.Selling UK property before UK goes to the dogs - 260 posts
Limited 3% - 0 posts
WHEN ADOES A PROPERTY BECOME LIABLE FOR COMMUNITY CHARGES - 3 posts
posting to the uk - 4 posts
Dedicated to Woolworths and M&S Staff and all those under Threat in dear old England...... - 0 posts
Wood burning stoves... - 14 posts
Long Term rental required....... - 6 posts
Advice for en-route hotel - 4 posts
satellite dish size - 8 posts
Receiving a PM - help needed please - 7 posts
ATMs at Alicante Airport? - 3 posts
Christmas Trees... - 3 posts
Taxes in Costaluz according to Aristotles. - 0 posts
Xmas request? - 0 posts
3-4 Month Property rental needed - 5 posts
Santander - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 1

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x