cant wait to relocate to spain - bitten by the bug

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
22 Dec 2008 12:00 AM by amanders Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Hi everyone, this is my first time on here and so forgive me for any mistakes that are made.  I just cant wait to return to spain asap with my two children to live.  We have been back from an inspection tour for 6 weeks now and are desperate to return to the spanish way of life and warmer climate.  We ended up putting a small deposit down just to hold the price of an off plan building in a beautiful area, but are keeping our options open still to same area but maybe different dwelling.

Like 0      
22 Dec 2008 8:54 PM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

Hi Amanders, Welcome to the forum you will find it full of information, I wished I had found the forum when we was at your stage.

Please tell me you have done all your reasearch? can I ask where you are buying, that will help us all to be able to help you    We love where we are so I hope all goes smoothly for you.  

Pat

Like 0      
22 Dec 2008 9:27 PM by rowlandsbb Star rating in Gloucestershire &Hue.... 779 posts Send private message

rowlandsbb´s avatar

First of all it seems from what you say that you have found the location you want

The next step is finding the right home for yourself

Off plan just now may not be the best option........before the recession the main advantage was that you were buying at the current price in anticipation of the value being higher when you eventually took possession

Also paying the reservation fee when in Spain on an inspection trip was a way of making sure that the price was fixed.......because in the boom prices were moving up very fast

Not now.......in general there is no need to do this.......you can take your time and only pay money over when you sign the contract and ' at the same time' get a Bank/Insurance Guarantee for your deposit 

There are some very good off plan locations but as a general approach in 2009 [ in the middle of the worst recession since the 70's or even the 30's] it will be safer to buy a 'ready now' new property or a re sale

Also the price you are to pay must be very competitive...some very !

So do not rush in.....whatever your real budget look at asking prices....well lets say 25% above it....and just like in the UK.........make an offer...you may be surprised at what you will get for your money! 

Now not every developer/ private vendor has to sell.....but there are some great deals out there and if you are in the market to buy.......make sure you get a good deal 

My advice at present is that in 2009 there is no need to 'pay a reservation fee' upfront........just pay the deposit when you sign the contract and' at the same time...not weeks later' get a Bank/Insurance Guarantee for your deposit if ' buying off plan'

If you are buying a 'ready now' or re sale then you pay a 10% deposit [ as in UK] and insist that it is held by the lawyers pending completion [ same buying procedure as in UK]

Welcome to Spain.....not just from an agent but a buyer also.....[ who has also had a problem!...now resolved ] ......great Country and great 'Life style'.....our location is Almeria as it is cheaper say than CDS or Costa Blanca  ....I'm, sure that you will find your chosen location just as good

Good luck

This message was last edited by rowlandsbb on 12/22/2008.

Like 0      
23 Dec 2008 9:15 PM by amanders Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Hi Brian, sorry its taken so long but i dont know whether its my laptop or the internenet is really busy!?  I have also just read your last message on my private messages and tried reply back via that route, but no way could i get it to happen.  Any clues ??  Anyway, we fell in love with El Saltador, Huercal-Overa.  Thats where you live isnt it ? Well Huercal-Overa I mean.  I was shown around the town and the school's seem second to none ?  Anyway the development is Peach Groves, 3 bedroom semi villa.  Builders are Clover.  They seemed to me quite professional and friendly, of course.  Amanda

Like 0      
24 Dec 2008 9:38 AM by rowlandsbb Star rating in Gloucestershire &Hue.... 779 posts Send private message

rowlandsbb´s avatar

Nice location and I suppose I am biased!!

There are 3 developers building on small sites in the hamlet and it has the making of a very attractive location. Just now it is circa 25 mins from the coast but when the new tunnel between Pulpi and San Juan de los Terreros is open [ sometime next year] it will cut the time down to circa 15 mins

Huercal Overa is a very attractive town close to the AP7 and there is a good selection of different designs of villas.from the three developers and  asking price for a  2 bed villa from circa 137.000€ for a small plot

Well worth a look if anyone is looking for a villa which offers good value in an area of Spain which is not overdeveloped but still has all the facilities you need 

Like 0      
24 Dec 2008 3:11 PM by Rob in Madrid Star rating in Madrid. 274 posts Send private message

Rob in Madrid´s avatar

Can sure understand why people love living here. Our family back in Canada has just been walloped by a massive snow storm (good foot of snow or more) even up in Germany were the winters tend to be mild it is gray and overcast. Even though we had a snow storm up here in Madrid it only lasted a few days and it's already gone and were in for a nice brown Christmas my favourite type!

Like rowlandsbb said the boom is no bust so there is no hurry to buy. I'd suggest renting for a while and seeing how you like the area. We have friends who have a really nice corner unit who found out after moving that they hear the buses garbage trucks everything, they can't even leave the window open with having conversation being drowned out. That's the kind of thing you don't notice till you move. More importantly is the price you pay today won't be the price you'll pay next year, it'll be much (perhaps much much) lower, so take your time to find the right place.

Decided after all I don't like Spanish TV, that is having compared both.

Like 0      
24 Dec 2008 7:08 PM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

Hi Amanda,

Yes I agree with what Brian and Rob have said to you they were very good posts. You will get a lot of information from this forum. It has been a great help to many. Including myself.

Thank you for your pm have replied but I do not know if you will be able to receive it yet, you normally have to make a few post's before that happens.

Rob my daughter and grandchildren are in Lapland at the moment, it has been snowing heavily but they seem to be enjoying it very expensive a burger 16euros, beer 8euros good job it is only for a week.

Pat 

Like 0      
24 Dec 2008 7:29 PM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

Hi and welcome..

Regarding pm's; i think you'll find that you can't do pm's until a minimum number of posts (3 I think) have been made.

Regarding the move and purchase;

1) Do your homework

2) Do some more homework

3) Do a lot more homework...

4) Don't rush no matter how much pressure is applied Its your money they're after!

5) If you don't know the answer ASK!

fb

http://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Like 0      
26 Dec 2008 9:08 AM by Rickiebear Star rating in Bristol UK/Tenerife. 40 posts Send private message

Hi Amanders. We bought an appartment in Tenerife a year ago. I spent a year researching how and what to buy, plus all the regulations on the side. And even then I was cought out by extra expence. I also knew the area very well haveing spent 15 holidays there over the past 10 years. I love the spanish way of live, and I am very pleased with my little bit of it. And so will you be to, but read as much as you can these forums are great. I also found the English speaking banks were very good, and many have links with English banks and offer discounts. Find I good local Estate Agent, who will help you through all the paperwork. Most of all find people who you can trust, most of them will turn out to become friends. Dont be afraid to walk away, and look again. Take care.

Like 0      
26 Dec 2008 9:30 AM by Rob in Madrid Star rating in Madrid. 274 posts Send private message

Rob in Madrid´s avatar

One thing I would add is to learn the language. you can live in an English bubble (which I do even up here in Madrid)  but there are many times where the language is needed.

Like 0      
28 Dec 2008 11:06 AM by Rickiebear Star rating in Bristol UK/Tenerife. 40 posts Send private message

Hi Rob, I agree, Spanish is one of the easier languages to learn. I have a couple of CDs I play in the car it will give you a good start. Also access a spainish newspaper on-line, learn some of the day to day issues.

Like 0      
29 Dec 2008 11:08 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Some things that definitely helped me a lot when I was trying to learn English:

- To have a  great passion for  something in Spanish: music, philosophy, movies...

- To make ( and keep) good and permanent contact with Spanish friends ( Spanish people are very much friend- and people- oriented and everyone wants to learn English) so .....many initiatives such as face-to-face exchanges, email correspondence... week-ends intensive courses are welcome .... just some imagination will be needed here.

- To watch DVD movies in Spanish with english subtitles

-To read a good book of a topic you really like ( with a good dictionary at hand).

To write articles for EOS and post in the forums!!

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
01 Jan 2009 2:24 PM by Rob in Madrid Star rating in Madrid. 274 posts Send private message

Rob in Madrid´s avatar

BTW your written English is very good, writting is what seperates the men from the boys, or in your case the women from the girls

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

BARGAIN!!! Peugeot 206 XTD 1.9, Blue/Turquiose - 3 posts
CHRISTMAS OPENING TIMES - 0 posts
CHRISTMAS OPENING TIMES - 0 posts
Bad experience renting or buying a property in the Duquesa area? - 0 posts
The Protest against Threats to Property - 45 posts
The Phone House La Cañada - 2 posts
Buying Spanish Cars - 1 posts
Christmas lottery, do not miss the San Ildefondo children singing tomorrow - 3 posts
1 week to go - 0 posts
School in Scotland: Let´s do one like this in South Spain and do exchanges ! - 14 posts
Sterling accounts in Spanish banks - 7 posts
Christmas Day Dinner Cañadas del Romero Mazarron - 0 posts
Seasons Greetings/ Felicidades Navidad - 21 posts
Ford Transit Diesel For Sale - 0 posts
"parking sign" tax - 0 posts
BravaChat Podcast Number Six - 0 posts
Web camera - 0 posts
Jajah in Spain - 0 posts
Reducing Spanish Income Tax - 1 posts
Finding solicitor - 2 posts
Digenius WARNING - 1 posts
paying my taxes - 5 posts
Dación en pago - 7 posts
Ex Rate good for me! Can i lock it? - 2 posts
San Miguel - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 13

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x