Looking for advice/recommendations

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
19 Nov 2008 12:00 AM by vrodrig Star rating in Cambridgeshire. 22 posts Send private message

Hello to EOS members.

I am a new property owner in Spain, and have just joined EOS, where hopefully I can greatly extend my knowledge about all things related to owning and renting my property.

Briefly, we have a 2-bed 2 bath apartment at La Cala de Mijas on the Prados del Golf development. We completed in early August but due to an oversight it was late August before the utilities were connected and the property ready for use. When the process started in April, we were informed that unfurnished long-term rental was the best strategy, and that we could potentially achieve 1000 Euros per month. Now that the credit crunch has started to bite hard, we are trying to market at 700, but not really generating any interest. We are considering switching our strategy to furnished short-term lets and would appreciate any advice or recommendations on the following:

is this potentially a better strategy?

as we cannot be in Spain due to various commitments in the UK, we need a good and reliable management company to look after the property i.e. cleaning, general maintenance when required, handing over keys etc. Has anyone any experience of a company in the area that can help?

we have searched the internet for furniture packages, but is there anyone locally who may not advertise on the internet that we can consider?

what do other members see as the long-term prospects for property in this area? Ultimately, we will use the property for ourselves and family/friends, but we need to get up and running to start getting something towards the mortgage payments.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Like 0      
19 Nov 2008 12:55 PM by gwm Star rating in Pizarra. 139 posts Send private message

Welcome to the Forum which is very informative on every subject under the sun...

Regarding your property ,most  agents exagerate the potential income on a property whether long let or for holidays. At the moment holiday and long term rental clients are becoming more difficult to obtain. There are thousands of standard 2 bed, 2 bath apartments available to rent.  Regarding furniture packages these can be very overpriced and take 6 - 8 weeks to be delivered. Take a look at the online version of Sur in English, long term rentals, and you will see the competition. There are  new apartments, now available from 550 a month Calahonda, Riviera and La Cala. Sorry it isn't good news for a new property owner

will send you a private message.

gwm

Like 0      
19 Nov 2008 3:09 PM by gwm Star rating in Pizarra. 139 posts Send private message

Hi Vrodrig,

cannot sent you a private message until you have posted 10 times...get busy as I have loads of information for you.

gwm

Like 0      
19 Nov 2008 3:10 PM by gwm Star rating in Pizarra. 139 posts Send private message

Hi Vrodrig,

cannot sent you a private message until you have posted 10 times...get busy as I have loads of information for you.

gwm

Like 0      
19 Nov 2008 3:11 PM by vrodrig Star rating in Cambridgeshire. 22 posts Send private message

Ok this is my 2nd message - only 8 to go.

Like 0      
19 Nov 2008 4:03 PM by BBBunny Star rating in Javea, Costa Blanca. 20 posts Send private message

Vrodrig,

Can't really offer a lot of advise except that I think a lot of people look for furnished rather than unfurnished long term lets. I think a lot of people may be like myself, moving over to Spain but keeping a property in the UK,  so leaving all their furniture here.  We are certainly renting a furnished property for a year before we buy, and then we will go and buy new stuff (safe to write that - husband on the other side of world!)

You will get loads of good advise on here!

Wendy

Like 0      
19 Nov 2008 4:27 PM by vrodrig Star rating in Cambridgeshire. 22 posts Send private message

Thanks Wendy.

Does anyone know if IKEA  Spain has an English version of their site? If so, how do you get it?

Like 0      
19 Nov 2008 4:30 PM by gwm Star rating in Pizarra. 139 posts Send private message

gwm again, not up to your ten posts yet....you can contact me at

www.aqua22.net

Like 0      
19 Nov 2008 4:36 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Just looked at IKEA Spanish website - it's only in Spanish, but you can ask Anna (whoever she is) anything you like in English. But buying stuff from IKEA is rather like painting by numbers. Most if not all the products are identical in stores all over the world. What exactly did you want to know?

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
19 Nov 2008 8:56 PM by vrodrig Star rating in Cambridgeshire. 22 posts Send private message

Roberto

Saw somewhere, probably another thread on this site, that IKEA do furniture packages, and that someone local would collect and build for a fee. Thinking about it, I don't really want to go down that route as the furniture is obviously IKEA, and will probably give totally the wrong impression to potential renters.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Reasons to move to Spain - 55 posts
Completing on Polaris Property @ Condado de Alhama next Week - 13 posts
Mexican Restaurant in Benimar - 5 posts
Experienced Chef Required - 0 posts
Spanish TDT tv. - 5 posts
Looking for Sales Agents for Canvas Printing Company - 0 posts
car wanted - 2 posts
Rental management software - 0 posts
FIVE on FREESAT - 0 posts
HONDA GENERATOR GX270, petrol, 5KVA - 0 posts
Opel Vivaro 2.0 cdti - only a few months old still with warranty - Gandia, Valencia, Spain - 0 posts
Legal TV in Spain - 0 posts
Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 Sx Top 2007 Spanish Registered LHD Gandia, Valencia, Spain - 2 posts
CHRISTMAS dinner for COST BLANCA ????? - 7 posts
STATIC HOMES,URGENT HELP REQUIRED PLEASE - 0 posts
Gas bottle wanted... - 10 posts
Karrite Roof Box - 0 posts
Bijon Frise or X Pomeranian Puppy Desperately Wanted - 0 posts
Warning to landlords... - 5 posts
Fireworks, stars, pictures, explosions? - Rock on EOS!!!!! - 7 posts
Spanish grass - 10 posts
POLARIS WORLD NIGHTMARE CONDADO DE ALHAMA - 28 posts
CAR HIRE SEARCH.............. - 0 posts
Freshwater fishing equipment - 1 posts
Spanish Seasons - 6 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 10

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x