UK TV with freesat

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
12 Oct 2008 9:05 PM by satandpcguy Star rating in Gandia, Valencia. 399 posts Send private message

satandpcguy´s avatar

it all depends on how PW have connected the systems up.
they may have their own big  dish, they may get their signal from a rebradocaster.

can i advise you to look here
http://www.satandpcguy.com/forum/showthread.php?55-Freeview-Freesat-TV-Freesatfromsky-Sky-TV-UKTV-in-Spain
which wil hopefully make things clearer as to what is available in spain.

This message was last edited by satandpcguy on 24/07/2010.

www.satandpcguy.com Satellite TV & Sky TV in Spain installers. Costa Blanca, Azahar and Valencia areas.

"Like" us on Facebook

Like 0      
13 Oct 2008 4:45 PM by Doug and Chris Star rating. 7 posts Send private message

Hi 

Thanks for that info.
Will check with PW re size of dish.

THanks again
Doug

Like 0      
13 Oct 2008 10:05 PM by art Star rating. 28 posts Send private message

I am one of the many unfortunate residents who have forked out for Telemicro. 

Could someone answer these questions
1) Would a large dish on the roof of an apartment block provide a signal to supply all the residents (144 apartments)

2) if so what sort of reciever would they need (Would existing sky receiver or Coship box do)

3) Would you recieve british channels or would a viewing card be needed  

Like 0      
13 Oct 2008 11:04 PM by satandpcguy Star rating in Gandia, Valencia. 399 posts Send private message

satandpcguy´s avatar

Could someone answer these questions
1) Would a large dish on the roof of an apartment block provide a signal to supply all the residents (144 apartments)

144 feeds is a lot for on dish a a set of multiswicthes - you may need to split this on to three or fours dishes with eeach dish supplying a stairwel for eaxmple. 
a multiswicth gets the signal from a dish and sends oit out to multiple points. these units come with 8 12 (and 16 i think) outputs and can be "daisychanied" together - ie you can link 2 12 ooutput multiswicthes tfor 24 outputs.

you must consider the lenght of cabnles required from the dish to the multiswicth units and hten from the units to the receivers - anything over 150 meters will really strt to loose siganls - hence why im suggesting splitting the installation into smaller blocks with a dish each.

2) if so what sort of reciever would they need (Would existing sky receiver or Coship box do)
depends
you can get sky bsic recievers, sky+ reciver and sky hd recivers - all take a sky card
you can get freesat basic recivers, freesat HD receivers and soon the freesat+ recoivers - which wuill only get the free tv channels
or you can go for generic receivers which may be cheaper but without the full 7 day electronic programmes guides (EPG) and will have limited or no interactive serivices (like bbci text serivices)

3) Would you recieve british channels or would a viewing card be needed  
Again, bbc, itv c5 (and soon FIVE) are free tv channela nd do not require any subscription / viewing card. they are free.
There are also over 100 other free tv channels available (admittady some of these are shopping text and sex cahnensl, but there ar e few good ones around.
if you want oto view subscription channels (like sky sports, doiscovery etc) then you will need a subscription card an dpay sky each month.

for what channels you can get one each systems (freesat, sky or generic) see the first few sections of 
http://www.satandpcguy.com/forum/showthread.php?55-Freeview-Freesat-TV-Freesatfromsky-Sky-TV-UKTV-in-Spain

which was created to answer the last two questions as so many people have asked this...

This message was last edited by satandpcguy on 24/07/2010.

www.satandpcguy.com Satellite TV & Sky TV in Spain installers. Costa Blanca, Azahar and Valencia areas.

"Like" us on Facebook

Like 0      
14 Oct 2008 10:43 AM by art Star rating. 28 posts Send private message

thanks for that info

Any ideas how much would a 4 dish system cost? . We already have the wireing in place through the communal sockets.

Like 0      
14 Oct 2008 1:29 PM by satandpcguy Star rating in Gandia, Valencia. 399 posts Send private message

satandpcguy´s avatar

you may find that the communal wiring is not ideal for UK tv satellite and may need replacing - persoannly i would replace it so that the whole system is new - you never know if the exisitng wiring is good enough, and is usually full of splitters and boosters - ok for spanish tv, not for uk tv!

its difficult to give a price without seeing the site-.

but expect to pay 700 euros per 1.8m dish installed
maybe 200 - 300 for a multiswitch unit

and expect to pay for cable and time require to pull cable to each appartment.....

contact mike at nortons / (broadbandcostablanca.com)- as he is good at community installs for the area...

"Like" us on Facebook

Like 0      
15 Oct 2008 12:48 PM by andyinspain Star rating. 12 posts Send private message

Hi guys..DO NOT bring a sky dish to a PW resort - it will not work! We got channel5 and a couple of the 'bid tv' channels but that was it! Also, I don't know about the other sites but La Torre community have just ordered all satellite dishes are brought down - any not taken down within the time frame given (think its the end of Oct but I can check...) tey will remove it themselves. You do get spanish tv and DBV channels (if you have compatible tv) but no english channels. Your best bet by far is to buy the polaris tv system (400 euros inc iva) which gives you bbc1/2 , itv and a lot of other british channels (itv2/3 bbc3/4 etc). This has no monthly fee. If you like, you can upgrade using an independent company which is 100e upgrade fee plus 19e a month for channel4/5, sy movies action/drama/family/sky sports 1 2 3/setanta sports/sky 1/2 uk gold etc etc. 
We tried other ways but you will only end up costing yourself more money!

Like 0      
15 Oct 2008 7:14 PM by satandpcguy Star rating in Gandia, Valencia. 399 posts Send private message

satandpcguy´s avatar
"Hi guys..DO NOT bring a sky dish to a PW resort - it will not work! We got channel5 and a couple of the 'bid tv' channels but that was it! "

thats the same around most of spain on a sky 60cm dish.....

Also, I don't know about the other sites but La Torre community have just ordered all satellite dishes are brought down - any not taken down within the time frame given (think its the end of Oct but I can check...) tey will remove it themselves. 

have you got a link or is there any offical notice you can let us see...only as one town hall says that a dish need planning permission and small works permit - many other dont, yet the EU has expressed its concern where dish installations are stopped by taxation and red tape on dishes...

"Your best bet by far is to buy the polaris tv system (400 euros inc iva) which gives you bbc1/2 , itv and a lot of other british channels (itv2/3 bbc3/4 etc). This has no monthly fee. If you like, you can upgrade using an independent company which is 100e upgrade fee plus 19e a month for channel4/5, sy movies action/drama/family/sky sports 1 2 3/setanta sports/sky 1/2 uk gold etc etc."

but i bet they do not have the correct permissions for the rebroadcasting of these channels around their network - in which case they can be shut down at any time - i know that one hotel was asked to remove certian channels from its channel lists - so be careful....

"Like" us on Facebook

Like 0      
15 Oct 2008 8:29 PM by Doug and Chris Star rating. 7 posts Send private message

Hi

Thanks for the information regarding PW.
Very helpful

Doug

Like 0      
16 Oct 2008 5:45 PM by chrisalan Star rating. 19 posts Send private message

Hi, My first time for this, so hope it goes right.

We have just completed on our apartment in Polaris Condado de Alhama.  We have bought a TV in Spain, but have taken our DVD and Freeview over from UK. By reading some of the other comments I understand that we will probably not be able to use the Freeview over there!

As Doug and Chris has asked, (I see you are on a Polaris site also), what do we get if we plug into the socket in our apartment?  I have to say, 700 euros for a large dish seems to be a great deal of money, as it is not a permanent home, and I have also heard through the grapevine that Polaris will not allow large dishes on there sites, we thought maybe a small dish will be OK, but as we are pretty green about TV in general are not sure what that will give us.

Can anyone give us any further info please?

Thanks

Christine & Alan

This message was last edited by chrisalan on 10/16/2008.

Like 0      
16 Oct 2008 5:58 PM by andyinspain Star rating. 12 posts Send private message

Hi Christine anbd Alan,
we live on La Torre and the sky digiboxes def do not work here anyway - i assume it will be the same system.
After investigating every avenue we went with the polaris system which was 400e inc iva and that gives you most channels - u can upgrade to receive more channels but if u dont live here no need....

Like 0      
16 Oct 2008 7:10 PM by chrisalan Star rating. 19 posts Send private message

Thanks Andy, had a feeling this would be the case, will speak to them when next over.

Like 0      
17 Oct 2008 8:24 PM by roylps Star rating in balsicas, murcia. 56 posts Send private message

Anyone at Polaris World in Murcia who has a 1.4 Metre dish to sell because of the PW removal directive, I would be interested.

Like 0      
18 Oct 2008 8:19 AM by Rob in Madrid Star rating in Madrid. 274 posts Send private message

Rob in Madrid´s avatar
As Doug and Chris has asked, (I see you are on a Polaris site also), what do we get if we plug into the socket in our apartment?

If you buy a TDT box (about 50€) you'll get about 20 channels with the option of English on certain ones. What I should emphasis is what you won't get here or anywhere else in the world is British programing. It's not that Spanish TV is crap it's simply 99% American, which suits me fine. Any shows I'm missing I simply download.

Decided after all I don't like Spanish TV, that is having compared both.

Like 0      
18 Oct 2008 8:38 AM by satandpcguy Star rating in Gandia, Valencia. 399 posts Send private message

satandpcguy´s avatar

this is a link to a statement by a cable / rebroadcaster in Javea

http://www.satandpcguy.com/forum/showthread.php?64-Swiss-Cable-and-Sky-Channels-Statement

As you can see they have removed all Sky PAY TV channels.
As PW is providing TV using their own localised cable TV network (the sames as above), it may be best to check with PW if the channels you want to watch will be available

To use your own sky box and sky card you will need a connectoin to a satellite dish, not a cable network, as the frequencies the two use will be different.

Spanish TDT has a variety of channels, La2 and Teledeporte sometime show UK pre,miership football, Doctor Who was on another channle, LOST is on SET, The Disney Channel on TDT is the first free disney channel in the Europe (maybe even the world?!?!)

This message was last edited by satandpcguy on 08/08/2010.

"Like" us on Facebook

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

completion - 2 posts
Happy Birthday Fibby - 8 posts
Help With Nationwide Flex Account - 23 posts
New Road - 18 posts
Web hosting recommendations - 15 posts
Double glazing windows - 1 posts
Help needed with setting up a bank transfer to pay taxes - 5 posts
costa brava - 1 posts
valle ramano - 1 posts
looking for work - 0 posts
Christmas in Benahavis - 0 posts
Please Help - Advise needed on Serious Problem with Spainish Lawyer - 2 posts
INTERNET CAFE - 1 posts
Arenal Duquesa 140,000 euros - 0 posts
Hello from Fuerteventura - 4 posts
freesat - 1 posts
Any news re: communal dish - 0 posts
Manilva Beach - 1 posts
Bankruptcy issues - 5 posts
Emergency phones in Spain - 0 posts
fiestas in Rojales, ?????????????? - 5 posts
The Big Bang - 5 posts
ITV Documentary looking for Brits moving to/living in Spain - 2 posts
Tax Query... - 4 posts
Property Management, Sales and Rental Agent - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 35

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x