Can I afford to live in Spain - Serious question

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
13 Aug 2008 8:05 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
If you haven't owned it for at least 6 months, it will not be considered part of your chattels (or whatever the term is) and you WILL have to pay matricualtion tax, based on CO2 emissions and depreciated value. More info available on other threads blah blah blah.....
Too much hassle!

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
14 Aug 2008 7:35 AM by ivorb Star rating in Durban, East Coast S.... 36 posts Send private message

ivorb´s avatar
Ah. Thanks.  Can see that's definitely too much hassle factor to import a vehicle. Must do some work now.

Like 0      
14 Aug 2008 8:14 AM by Max Kite Star rating in Castilléjar, Granada. 308 posts Send private message

Max Kite´s avatar
The car thing - don't do it.  It is possible, but HASSLE.  I know lots of people who have done it and they are now wearing jackets that do up at the back!

Like 0      
14 Aug 2008 8:20 AM by ivorb Star rating in Durban, East Coast S.... 36 posts Send private message

ivorb´s avatar
Thanks Max.  Decided that already. We need to learn by these poor characters in jackets.

Like 0      
14 Aug 2008 8:22 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Just saying good morning to all in this thread, have a good day.

Like 0      
14 Aug 2008 8:31 AM by ivorb Star rating in Durban, East Coast S.... 36 posts Send private message

ivorb´s avatar
Thanks Morerosado. You have a great one too. 

Actually an amazing day here today. (Has been great for 6 weeks - no rain) Must be all of 25 degrees, the Bullies are laying in the sun, (keeping a one eye lookout for the gardener - they enjoy their little harrassing game every so often). My daughter arrives from the UK on Saturday, so I have tried hard to book this good weather for her. Hope it holds. Right now, our winter seems to be better than her summer.  

Like 0      
14 Aug 2008 5:37 PM by Max Kite Star rating in Castilléjar, Granada. 308 posts Send private message

Max Kite´s avatar

Last thought on the job subject.......

If you have to work to maintain your sanity (I have already said that you won't NEED to - not that I'm jealous!) you could do beginners classes in IT for the Brits - you know - this is called a keyboard, this is the monitor.  There are thousands of retirees out here who have never touched one, but would like to keep in touch with family by MSN or whatever.  Would keep you off the street corners, and put a few bob in the beer kitty.  You can also explain sessions in php to me!!.

Hope you can read this Bob.

Max

Like 0      
15 Aug 2008 1:38 PM by Max Kite Star rating in Castilléjar, Granada. 308 posts Send private message

Max Kite´s avatar

Ivor - This has nothing to do with living in Spain.......

I HATE Bill Gates.

I have spent all morning working in Word (with auto - backup set at every 5 mins) when it froze - and guess what - it's backed up b$$$$$r all!

This message doesn't require a response!

Unless you're called Bill of course. 

Like 0      
15 Aug 2008 4:17 PM by ivorb Star rating in Durban, East Coast S.... 36 posts Send private message

ivorb´s avatar
I'm rather glad Bill is in Spain. That way, I get to collect Beer money.  Training also a good idea. Once I know how PHP works, will let you know.  You now know, not to rely on autosave. There are only two types of compiuter users.  Those who have lost data and those who will. 

Sorry Bob. Here it is again. Also a good idea. Once I know how PHP works, will let you know.  There are only two types of compiuter users.  Those who have lost data and those who will. 

Like 0      
16 Aug 2008 4:53 PM by Max Kite Star rating in Castilléjar, Granada. 308 posts Send private message

Max Kite´s avatar
Hi Ivor

What really annoys me is that I back up everything on a portable hard drive, and on CD.  I learnt all that in the '80s.

So- yes - I'm really angry with myself, not Bill.  I now have a tic which clicks on "save" every 10 seconds!

Max

Like 0      
24 Oct 2008 3:43 PM by ivorb Star rating in Durban, East Coast S.... 36 posts Send private message

ivorb´s avatar
Well Folks, hello again.  

Been a while. We have now taken the plunge and arrive in Spain for a look see on 13th November. 3 weeks to suss out the land and glean as much as we can.  Will no doubt have more questions as we go. Just a thought. Should I cart my notebook with me or are there plenty of internet cafe's where I can check mail etc.

Regards,

Ivor

Like 0      
24 Oct 2008 10:28 PM by Max Kite Star rating in Castilléjar, Granada. 308 posts Send private message

Max Kite´s avatar
Hi

Yes, there are loads

Look for "locutorios"

We are nearly in twentieth century (sometimes)

Like 0      
25 Oct 2008 12:26 PM by ivorb Star rating in Durban, East Coast S.... 36 posts Send private message

ivorb´s avatar
Thanks Max

Like 0      
25 Oct 2008 12:26 PM by ivorb Star rating in Durban, East Coast S.... 36 posts Send private message

ivorb´s avatar
Thanks Max

Like 0      
04 Nov 2008 1:35 PM by ivorb Star rating in Durban, East Coast S.... 36 posts Send private message

ivorb´s avatar
Another Question to the endless list.

Spending 3 weeks in Spain from the 11th Nov. I think the way to go is to get a local sim card for the duration. If I use my own, (South African ISP), I'm in for an arm and a leg on roaming fees. Any suggestions on the best place to go. Arriving in Malaga and staying in La Cala, Costa Mijas. I know that if one buys a local card (pre paid package) here at one of the Johannesburg International Airport rip off artists, the cost is Euro10. If you buy one at the supermarket, Tesco equivilent, 50cents. (Literally).  You then simply buy a re charge .  What should I look for or Maybe, where should I look ?  

Like 0      
04 Nov 2008 7:06 PM by falklands Star rating. 42 posts Send private message

Hi Ivor

In La Cala there is a very good English run shop where you can get a PAYG phone card. It is located just behind the Supersol Supermarket in the middle of town. Any one will direct you there.

Spanish law insists that you provide Identification (passport) when purchasing. Prices are cheap and can be topped up anywhere.

Hope this helps

Falklands

Like 0      
04 Nov 2008 7:28 PM by ivorb Star rating in Durban, East Coast S.... 36 posts Send private message

ivorb´s avatar
Thank you Falklands.

That's exactly what I was looking for. 

Many thanks

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

EXTREMELY URGENT One month Torrevieja or surrounding €100 a week - 0 posts
EXTREMELY URGENT One month rental required Torrevieja area - €100 per week - 0 posts
Savings on shopping - 14 posts
GoGo's Crazy Bones?? - 1 posts
Totally Torrevieja - 1 posts
Another building giant crisis hits Costa Blanca - 7 posts
All MAR MENOR (Costa Calida) general info. - 0 posts
Bus Service - 11 posts
Moneycorp & QuesadaLife forum, devious lot or WHAT !?! - 11 posts
Sad site in Torrevieja (Costa Blanca) today - 6 posts
Can you eat a hot curry in Spain? - 15 posts
Watch T4 pop concert LIVE in my town of Weston Super Mare right NOW on C4 - 2 posts
HELP....Advice on TDLT - 3 posts
Child Bank Account - How do I open one ? - 5 posts
Youtube teaches you Spanish, very helpful. - 1 posts
Christmas - 10 posts
changing mortgage to a new owner - 6 posts
Adding a page to social networking sites - 1 posts
Spanair and Ryanair give details of their cutbacks in Spain. - 0 posts
Check out flight info for all carriers at Alicante & Murcia - 1 posts
Copy of the handout booklet from the seminar "Local Taxes and Suma for European Residents" - 9 posts
ESCRITURA. - 18 posts
calas del pinar san juan - 1 posts
CROSS DRESSING - 1 posts
Keys to the garage area - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 77

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x