Taking on Developers' Mortgage

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
26 Apr 2008 12:00 AM by leeabby Star rating in Old Kilpatrick, Glas.... 140 posts Send private message

leeabby´s avatar

Have now been offered mortgage from developer through my lawyer.  Not enough information given from them so have went back and asked a lot of questions.  They are getting back to me next week.  Meanwhile maybe someone could give me a pointer as to what to check out/make sure of and that I've asked the right questions.

Any info would be appreciated.

Like 0      
26 Apr 2008 6:44 PM by rowlandsbb Star rating in Gloucestershire &Hue.... 779 posts Send private message

rowlandsbb´s avatar

This is quite common and if you take over the mortgage the builder has on your property you will save cost

But it not always a good...but often it is...eg with Polaris World if you do this and use the bank as your Spanish bank you will get a better deal than those who do not

They should offer you commercial terms perhaps with some interest only period

The main problem as I see it, as at 2008 ,is that , before regulations got tight, some of the banks financed developments which did not have 100% permits, although they were expected to be granted

So you may be able for example to get a ' builders mortgage' even though there is no Habitation Certificate .....the bank is taking you as the security and not the builder so the finer points do not matter too much......banks are in business to make money!

You may well get the HC

But no one should complete a purchase without a HC.....and all the other permits required

One way of making sure that you have a legal purchase is to get a mortgage from an independant bank.....they will not lend unless everything is OK.....so a bit of an indirect guarantee   

The good thing about buying in Spain in 2008 [ besides the fact that you will get a good deal!!] is that . provided you are sensible, you can be assured that it will be a legal build....the Spanish Government is making sure that the ' cowboys days are over'

Like 0      
02 May 2008 2:44 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar
Interesting comment about the cowboys days are over Brian. While in general terms i would agree there are still areas where one needs to tread with great care. Agreed most independent lenders will not lend  on fully licensed developments and those that will do, require certain procedures to have been followed so that they know that eventually the mssing pieces of the puzzle will definitely be there in the not too distant future.

As you say most developers banks will subrogate the existing mortgage without paying too much attention to whether the Licences are all up to speed. I guess it begs the question when is a risk not a risk - answers on the back of a postage stamp please?

The problem with so many developer bank deals is that they are largely inflexible and the most common complaint is that they are not exactly clear about terms and conditions and so much is left unexplained - not to mention its all in Spanish surprisingly enough.

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Swimming pool colour - 4 posts
And so the silly season begins - 4 posts
Sky Installation - Altos de Princess Kristina, Duquesa - 3 posts
Spanish Noises - 2 posts
THE CIRCUS IS STILL IN TOWN (FUETE DE PIEDRA ) - 21 posts
BANK VALUATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 13 posts
Contract Quality Speciation - 7 posts
NEW MEMBER - 4 posts
Selling a Property in Spain - 1 posts
Where do I find help to set up a business? - 25 posts
Moving to Spain next year.......Just A few questions! - 48 posts
Wonderful hotels, restaurants, theatres... in COSTA DE LA LUZ!!! A taste for the weekend - 1 posts
A good estate agent in Torreblanca/Fuengirola - 5 posts
Vagamar2 Rafal. Whats going on!!! - 3 posts
El Vegetariano Restaurant Altea - 0 posts
HACIENDA SAN MANUEL - 0 posts
EOS has a car named after it! - 8 posts
Britons retiring abroad - 1 posts
Bumps in the Night. - 3 posts
Hi all Mark & Sandy Introduction - 3 posts
Justin, help required please regarding PMs to new members.. - 73 posts
Happy St. George's Day - 4 posts
Hi & help needed - 7 posts
Manchester to Gib - 2 posts
Rental needed ASAP with intetrnet connection - 7 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 3

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x