breach of contract

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
10 Apr 2008 12:00 AM by tedaldi Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

My wife and I were due to purchase a property in Benalmadena- we thought the completion date was December 2007 but when we had the contract translated in English recently we realised that in fact the completion date was June 2007.We visited the development in January 2008 and were pretty disappointed about the standard of the finish. The contract provides specific termination conditiions. Basically if the property is not ready by the due date then the developer is obliged to return the deposit funds along with 10% compensation. We instructed our Lawyer on March 7, 2008 to terminate the contract. We have heard nothing and when we chased him up today he said that he has a list of clients who applied to cancel their contracts more than 6 months ago so we have to be patient and that the legal process will take several months but we will get our funds returned along with compensation, He also stated that going through the court would take more than a year. THis lawyer is one that was introduced by the estate agents so I am doubtful of his independence and of course he did not correct us about the completion date being December 2007.

We don't want to be unreasonable but considering that we would have been obliged to pay the remaining monies to the developer on the completion date if it had occurred at the agreed time I don't see why we have to wait for months for the return of our funds from the developer.

I would like some basic advice on the steps to take to keep the pressure on and obtain the return of our deposit as soon as possible:

This website has mentioned a formal notice to the developer- Should we ask our lawyer whether the requiermiento notorial has been issued to the developer? Should we ask for evidence that this has been done? How long should it take for the developer to respond to this and when does the need for action on the bank guarantee kick in?

Many thanks for any assistance.

regards

Like 0      
11 Apr 2008 7:00 AM by bunty Star rating in Belfast. 96 posts Send private message

bunty´s avatar
Get an independent lawyer! There is no other advice it is what you need to do. Lawyers linked to developers are there to protect the builder not you and you will still be asking the same question in 6 months time

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

message for debbie and paul (payton) - 0 posts
Swimming Pool maintenance ? - 6 posts
Complete in two weeks - any last minute advice? - 36 posts
Cordoba Accommodation? - 1 posts
Can someone shed some light for me ! ( and hope) - 1 posts
How long to switch on the services ? - 3 posts
Forces Pensions in Spain - 11 posts
televison channels in Guardamar - 0 posts
Spanish restaurant - 1 posts
Landrover discovery for sale - 0 posts
Bitter and Twisted Shows - 1 posts
NEW LENDER CHECKS INRODUCED - 0 posts
Total property protection - 0 posts
Long Term Let Contract for 6 to 11 months - 1 posts
plasterer thinking of moving to spain ? - 3 posts
Help with moving to Spain - 6 posts
Translation Service - 2 posts
free advertising - 5 posts
Can you trade in English Cars in Spain for new i.e Part Ex? - 10 posts
Submarines off Torre Del Mar?? - 0 posts
When is a Bank Guarantee not a Bank Guarantee? - 4 posts
Builders Liability to Pay Fees for Unsold Houses - 6 posts
Perils of selling in the UK ! - 15 posts
Bank Guarantee Process for Claiming - 46 posts
Can anyone recommend a Property Management Co - Los Flamingos, Estapona - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 2

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x