Easyjet £5 extra APD Tax

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
12 Jan 2007 12:00 AM by sunnyside Star rating in UK/Duquesa. 95 posts Send private message

sunnyside´s avatar
We got an email from easyjet for £15 (3 passengers that were booked in Dec. 06)for the extra Air Passenger Duty tax that Gordon Brown brought in in his Pre Budget speech for flights
departing after 1/2/2007. The money has to be paid by 15/1/2007. We paid this (using the link on the email) only because it stated that you "Might not be able to travel" if you didn't.
We also booked, the next day, for 1 other passenger on the same flight but have not been asked for £5 for that booking.
The website does not mention this extra APD anywhere nor can
you see anything about it on the "Manage my Bookings" part of the website.  My concern is that the 4th passenger may have trouble checking in as we can't pay the extra £5.  I also tried ringing customer services, which was a total waste of time, all automated with no options relating to APD.
Anyone else had emails from Easyjet or trouble paying the tax.

Like 0      
12 Jan 2007 4:14 PM by webster Star rating in Sunny south coast bu.... 86 posts Send private message

We were worried too, but paid our £20 but like you could find no mention on the site.  Loath to ring them (premium rate) but a friend in the know suggested that updating their website payment system could be difficult and it would be a big job as it has to be listed separately.  Even so, they could put a note on it about a separate email.  No doubt there will still be queues and complaints at the airport if they have bumped non-payers!  Oh what fun! 

Like 0      
13 Jan 2007 12:51 AM by JeansSis Star rating. 2376 posts Send private message

JeansSis´s avatar

This message was last edited by JeansSis on 5/16/2007.

Like 0      
13 Jan 2007 9:19 AM by solostar Star rating in North Wales / Almora.... 101 posts Send private message

Hi, I haven,t had any e-mails from Easyjet concerning the extra tax due. I am starting to panic a bit, as I have got several flights booked. I have just tried to phone them up but couldn,t find anything relating to this . Heard on T.V. this morning that Ryanair will refuse to board anybody who hasn,t pre-paid,hope Easyjet doesn,t follow suit. I believe it has to be paid by Monday. I want to pay ,as we have not got a choice, but how do you sort it out? Any help welcomed.

Best Wishes     Solostar.

Like 0      
13 Jan 2007 9:51 AM by rustym Star rating in Balsicas. 13 posts Send private message

rustym´s avatar

If you booked your flight on line I suggest that you go to your booking reference on line, this is what I did although I did receive an email.

Pete & Mave

Like 0      
13 Jan 2007 10:10 AM by solostar Star rating in North Wales / Almora.... 101 posts Send private message

To Pete & Mave, Thanks for reply, did what you suggested but no luck. Bookings are listed just as they appeared when booked.    

P.S. love your Avatar.  Solostar.

Like 0      
13 Jan 2007 10:16 AM by sunnyside Star rating in UK/Duquesa. 95 posts Send private message

sunnyside´s avatar

Thats the point I was trying to make you can't actually pay it online if you don't get an email.  It isn't referred to anywhere on the "manage my bookings".

My daughter also got an email regarding the extra £5 for a domestic flight but when we tried the link given it didn't give any option to pay - so what are you supposed to do?

I also emailed them regarding it and the reply I got was "we will get back to you within 20 working days" Hardly helpful.

I agree it isn't Easyjets fault it would cost them 4 million apparently if they covered everyones extra APD who had prepaid.

Like 0      
13 Jan 2007 10:23 AM by solostar Star rating in North Wales / Almora.... 101 posts Send private message

It would be easier if they let everybody pay at check in. Anybody who had already paid on-line would have an e-mail receipt to show.

Like 0      
13 Jan 2007 12:47 PM by JeansSis Star rating. 2376 posts Send private message

JeansSis´s avatar

Like 0      
13 Jan 2007 3:28 PM by solostar Star rating in North Wales / Almora.... 101 posts Send private message

I have tried to contact Easy Jet but can,t,apparantly there is a "high volume of calls". Probably everybody trying to find out what is going on. Nothing on there web site ,except in Q&A where it states that if you do get an e-mail it is a valid one. But how do you get them to send you one?  Ah well I shall have to wait and see!

Like 0      
13 Jan 2007 3:52 PM by JeansSis Star rating. 2376 posts Send private message

JeansSis´s avatar

Like 0      
13 Jan 2007 7:27 PM by sunnyside Star rating in UK/Duquesa. 95 posts Send private message

sunnyside´s avatar

Found this on the BBC webpage.  It looks like you will be able to pay(with Easyjet anyway) at check in, though it probably will be chaos.  There is no way they can refuse to let you fly because of £5, lets hope!!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6258213.stm

Like 0      
13 Jan 2007 7:31 PM by sunnyside Star rating in UK/Duquesa. 95 posts Send private message

13 Jan 2007 7:42 PM by solostar Star rating in North Wales / Almora.... 101 posts Send private message

Thanks for that Sunnyside, I don,t suppose that I am the only person that hasn,t heard anything.I am going out on the 24th so maybe I can enquire at the Easy Jet desk at airport (it doesn,t affect the flights before 31st) Best Wishes.

Like 0      
13 Jan 2007 9:27 PM by solostar Star rating in North Wales / Almora.... 101 posts Send private message

I have just been on another Forum and from what I can make out at some point in December the extra tax was added to the flight charges, but if that is true it would have been helpful if Easy Jet could have put "includes extra APD" on the confirmation bookings.Anyway, I am not going to worry about it, 

Thanks for everybodys help.

Like 0      
13 Jan 2007 10:48 PM by leeabby Star rating in Old Kilpatrick, Glas.... 140 posts Send private message

leeabby´s avatar

This was discussed on the Money Programme on BBC2 on Friday at lunchtime.

Seemingly when this tax was announced they asked a number of airlines if they would be charging it. Easyjet said no if you had already booked and no if you booked before February when the tax came in.

The reason it was getting discussed again on Friday was that the programme had received a number of complaints because Easyjet were in fact charging everybody, whether they had booked in advance or before February, seemingly something to do with their lawyers arguing it out with the government but quite simply they have changed their minds and are now charging everyone regardless.

Hope I've explained that clearly enough, I think that you can actually download their website for any programme, you'd have to watch on Monday though to see what that address is.

Sharon

Like 0      
13 Jan 2007 10:53 PM by JeansSis Star rating. 2376 posts Send private message

JeansSis´s avatar

Like 0      
13 Jan 2007 10:58 PM by leeabby Star rating in Old Kilpatrick, Glas.... 140 posts Send private message

leeabby´s avatar

Hi JeansSis,

Yes, that was also mentioned on the same programme.  As I said if anyone wants to know exactly what was said any of their programmes can be downloaded.

Seems a bit unfair if you had already booked before the rise was announced, think that's what prompted most people to complain.

Sharon

Like 0      
13 Jan 2007 10:58 PM by JeansSis Star rating. 2376 posts Send private message

JeansSis´s avatar

Like 0      
13 Jan 2007 11:03 PM by JeansSis Star rating. 2376 posts Send private message

JeansSis´s avatar

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

EURO RATE - 15 posts
Compleaños Feliz Justin - 6 posts
mark & karen - 2 posts
Happy 33rd Birthday Justin! - 0 posts
RyanAir 2 for 1 offer - 1 posts
***RATE ALERT!*** - 4 posts
Bank Guarantees - 2 posts
Free Web Sites - 4 posts
Bank Guarantee - 1 posts
Message from Debbie Muirhead - 3 posts
Foreign Exchange Is Simple! - 0 posts
Foreign Exchange Is Simple! - 0 posts
Foreign Exchange Made Easy! - 0 posts
Flying to Gib with Gib Air - 20 posts
VERY DISTESSED PROPERTY SALE BEFORE FEB! - 0 posts
We may just go beyond the date we fixed the exchange rate for - 5 posts
BMI have cancelled their route Heathrow to Alicante Sept to July - 0 posts
Patrimonio Familiar - 7 posts
Can anyone recommend a good agent - 18 posts
el rincon - 2 posts
THINKING OF MOVING TO SPAIN? - 0 posts
Spanish or British ???? - 20 posts
Developer Fees - 16 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 41

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x