NEED TO CLOSE SANTANDER ACCOUNT FROM ABROAD

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
26 Dec 2020 2:36 PM by sdfghjklkjhgfd Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Hello all,

I'm an English teacher i was working in spain during the pandemic and left in June for the summer break to return in august / september and therefore kept my Santander 123 Account. My school unfortunately didnt survive the summer and since i didn't have a job i decided to stay in the UK, keeping the account open just in case. They have now started charging me 12€ a month (!!!) for the privilege - I cannot close this account from abroad apparently and given the circumstances travelling to Spain is impossible at the moment, does anyone know what I can do???? 

Like 0      
26 Dec 2020 4:03 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

I personally know of a similar case of someone who left Spain over 3 years ago. They wanted to keep their account open for a couple of months after retuning to the UK, "just in case", but were told by their Spanish bank (Sabadell in this case) that it could only be closed in person, in the branch. As it was a joint account (despite being "either to sign") they were told both account holders would have to come in. When they explained this would not be possible, they were advised to simply "zero" their balance when they no longer required the account, and forget about it.

Three years later a former neighbour of theirs forwarded on to them a letter from a debt collection agency, trying to claim over €300 in charges on behalf of the bank.

My advice: ignore the charges / threatening letters and forget about it. Anyway, as far as I know, there is a 5 year statute of limitations on such debts, after which any such claims will expire.

Stupid situation, typically Spanish problem. 

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

EHIC cards - 21 posts
Feliz navidad - 0 posts
Irish passport - 29 posts
Key holding licence in Spain - 3 posts
Gibraltar/La Linea Border - 1 posts
Residencia, tax returns and not in country 183 days - 6 posts
Organised Mortgage Fraud and Caixabank threatening legal action despite knowing this! - 10 posts
Query re latest Supreme Court ruling on IRPH mortgage clauses and the impact on know of ECJ rulings - 1 posts
Do homemade DVD's work in Spain? - 1 posts
advice needed on builder asking for 50% upfront fee prior to starting work - 13 posts
Alternative to Negative PCR Testing before arriving in Spain by Sea or Air - 0 posts
Registering for healthcare in Spain - 2 posts
Tax redemption form sale of property - 12 posts
Living in Spain after Brexit. What worries you? - 9 posts
End of November Podcast with Maria de Castro - 0 posts
Mojacar Magazine Launch - 0 posts
2 month winter rental in the Canaries? - 2 posts
CostaLuz Lawyers are the best - 19 posts
is flu jab mandatory - 2 posts
Advice for Beginners, retiring in Spain! - 17 posts
NIE following marriage - 8 posts
New Formula to claim in Ocean View Properties developments- Deadline 28th of December - 0 posts
Healthcare in Spain - 2 posts
duchess - 3 posts
Paypal - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 2

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x