Missing 3% retention refund from the tax office

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
09 Jul 2020 1:51 PM by denise17 Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Hi. Can anyone help please? In December 2019 we sold a property in Murcia and as required paid the 3 % retention tax as all the 4 owners were non residents..  We also paid the plus valia. Four weeks ago 3 out of the 4 of us  received a refund from the tax office. The 4th person did not. We contacted the receiving bank who suggested we requested the tax office put a trace on the payment as they had not received it.. I contacted our solicitor to request he makes contact with the tax office and establish what has happened. Since then I have written to him several times requesting an update but he is not replying to my email mails.  Additionally although he kept the money to pay the Plus Valia I do not know whether it has been paid. I have asked him to reclaim this payment as we lost a significant amount when we sold from what we originally paid for it.  How do I move this situation forward and insure the money owed iso repaid? There are no taxes owed by the person who did not receive the refund so either an error has been made or its got lost. 

Like 0      
09 Jul 2020 4:42 PM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1316 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

Hello Denise and welcome to EOS.

If you are now back in the UK you will be of little or no interest to your Spanish Lawyer. You have ceased to be an earner for him/her.

However if you are still in Spain things maybe easier. You will need to go to your lawyers office and camp in the waiting room with your flask and sandwiches, and demand attention. You could ask for the famous complaints book.

I did read somewhere that the courts had ruled that where a property was sold at a loss ''Plus Valia tax'' was illegal, but town halls said they would continue to do as they like.

There are principles involved here but you need to consider the money involved versus the stress and grief.

Good luck

Like 1      
11 Jul 2020 7:43 AM by denise17 Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Hi Kavanagh. Thank you for your advice. As a result I have decided not to pursue the plus valia repayment as it seems a non starter. However I really want to make contact with the tax office as a believe they will have sent the payment and it's got lost in the banking system.  A simple trace will locate it and then my daughter, the fourth person who owned the property can access their refund. I contacted my solicitor again yesterday  and he said his colleuge who deals with the tax office  was dealing with it. I rang his colleuge directly and they said my solicitor was dealing with it! So nothing has been done. Do you know how I might get in contact with the tax office in Murcia? I feel totally let down that a 17 year relationship with this firm of solicitors is ending in this way as over the years they have been supportive but the company has grown and got very busy so maybe this has contributed to the very poor after sales support we have received. It has and still is a most stressful experience.  However once this refund is received we will have completed the process. Many thanks for any advice given.

Like 0      
12 Jul 2020 8:48 AM by Bytesized Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Just thinking out loud.

Is plus valia based on the cadastral value and not what you may have actually paid for a property or whether you made a loss on that when you sold?

Like 0      
13 Jul 2020 2:55 PM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1316 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

Plus Valia is based on cadastral value land price only. Amazingly while property values in some cases have dropped by 50% since the financial crash of 2008 land prices have doubled. So in theory we are back in the boom times again.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Looking for advice for buying holiday home in spain - 4 posts
New forms for Reidency in Spain of UK citizens - 21 posts
All won cases by Costaluz Lawyers-- off plan refunds--so far in 2020 - 0 posts
Malaga Airport Arrivals from UK - 0 posts
Ownership quotas and community fees - 6 posts
Selling Property in Spain - 1 posts
New member seeking advice - 22 posts
Were you affected by Amber Sun? - 4 posts
Masks to be worn by everybody incl Tourists when Applicable - 2 posts
dermatoligist - 0 posts
Making a Spanish Will - 3 posts
Candy CDCP 6 dishwasher machine - 0 posts
720 and other forms - 1 posts
New Years eve - 1 posts
ELS ex clients trying to get access to papers/documents - 11 posts
Pool - 6 posts
non residents tax murcia - 6 posts
Residents - 17 posts
Looking for someone to visit a Farmacia for me - 0 posts
Pesty Fruit flies/Baby Flies in your Kitchen & Fruit Bowl in Lounge/Dinning - 1 posts
Flights - 6 posts
Death of Owner - UK Based - 2 posts
Certificates of Registries and Legalizations (CRyL) - 3 posts
las palas - 10 posts
Do you need to speak Spanish when taking your car for an ITV - 6 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 5

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x