At the point of giving up.

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
04 Oct 2014 7:28 PM by Marmalagueña Star rating. 8 posts Send private message

When I first joined this forum, I mentioned that my Spanish was not good, even after studying it for years.  For several months following that statement, I've thrown myself back into actively practising it.

I read all the advice about submerging yourself etc. to let your brain adjust to another language.  Don't translate, just LISTEN.  That was quite helpful, at first.  The trouble is, there's only so much time you can spend listening to something when you've no idea what they're on about.  It gets boring after a while.

I'm very limited with what I can listen to from here in the UK, it's either the news, radio or a very limited  selection of progs, of which I have no idea what they're about.  There seems to be an awful lot of politics and sport.  Politics I can't   understand even when reading the subtitles.  (My reading skills are probably my best.)  I've even sat and listened to sport!  I have no interest whatsoever in sport!   I did manage to pick up what  "Gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" meant. I have a slight suspicion it may mean someone has just scored a goal.

I'm coming to the conclusion that I'm never going to be fluent/half-fluent/quarter-fluent/eigth-fluent.  It would have been nice to have been just a tidgy bit fluent, a "poquito fluento", but no.

The trouble is: it hurts failing.  I can't explain to anyone else because none of my friends has learned a language and they don't understand the difference from learning, say, cake decorating.  They think that the longer I do Spanish, the automatically more fluent I'm becoming.  Following that logic, we'd all end up as translaters for the EU.

When I listen to the radio now, Spanish of course, I feel frustrated, disheartened and stupid.  It's time I gave up.  I just wanted to tell someone.

body p

Like 2      
04 Oct 2014 8:23 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

There are Spanish TV channels online. On some you can turn subtitles on so you can read the Spanish whilst listening to it which helps. Definitely helps to get one of those CD learning courses.

Sorry, but it's a "poquito fluido" or de fluidez not fluento, not that that's made you feel any better. Easy to remember as my Spanish gets more fluido when I get more fluido.

Like 2      
04 Oct 2014 9:57 PM by Marysafc Star rating in Harrow and Peñiscola. 113 posts Send private message

There is a website italki.com which you can join and find language partners, and it's free to join. You just set up an account with the language you are learning and basically exchange your english for their spanish. I specified Castillian spanish and have now found 2 people that I am happy to talk to via Skype. One lives in Sevilla and the other in Madrid. If you are worried you needn't video call, just audio. I now make time to talk to each of them at least once a week which makes me do some studying. I must admit that their english is much better than my spanish, but I'm helping them as well. The chap I speak to in Madrid has a daughter who is doing all her lessons, except Maths and Spanish in english but she won't speak to her dad as his accent is bad! There is also an app called DuoLingo which is good to do when you have a few minutes spare. I don't think that I'll ever be fluent but I'm trying and speaking, which is important as I'm usually too self conscious to speak when I'm in spain!!

Like 0      
12 Oct 2014 6:19 PM by Susanspain Star rating in Mijas, Malaga. 145 posts Send private message

Susanspain´s avatar

Don't get disheartened marmalaguena... 

I have been here since 2000 and although I consider myself 'Nivel Intermedio,' I still have trouble understanding my neighbours! Partly because of the local accent/words I feel, but also I find some are 'open minded' (and are prepared to be patient and help me,) but others are just so 'Closed minded' that I will never get through to them.

I admit I mix only with Brits, listen to Brit TV, read in English etc. So if I have reached a plateau then that is partly my fault. But as long as I can get by, and do day to day stuff without too much hassle; (I can still walk into virtually any official institution and get my point across!), then that is good enough for me.

I have tried to 'integrate' and learn. But I think I am more British at heart than I realized ;) 

Maybe go for in immersion course? Where no English is spoken for the whole month? 

Just keep practicing and if you really want to get to the 'next level' I am sure it will come :)

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

GP IN LOS ALCAZARES? - 5 posts
login problem - 1 posts
Interesting discussions on Law 57/68 - 1 posts
Noisy neighbours - 3 posts
Best beach in murcia - 3 posts
Internet - 0 posts
Catastro, how accurate is it, does it matter? - 2 posts
Electricity in Spain - 6 posts
Passport renewal - 12 posts
Hi, Louise here. Moving to Murcia with mum and kids before Xmas. Would like as much advise as possible. - 10 posts
Trouble sending an enquiry about long term rentals - 6 posts
Reform Respect and upholding the rule of law - 3 posts
Travel: AVE train from Alicante to Madrid - 9 posts
Agency seems to have stolen 900 euros of my money - help/ advice needed!!! - 2 posts
They changed the law overnight and are fining people- that HAS to be illegal right? - 6 posts
Surcharge or Admin Costs? - 3 posts
Raining in murcia ? - 13 posts
Bye bye Ruiz-Gallardon - 2 posts
12 dodgy Spanish menu translations (all genuine!!) - 3 posts
TRAVEL COT AND HIGH CHAIR UP FOR GRABS - 5 posts
Would i get a spanish mortgage - 6 posts
Sax - 0 posts
Corvera golf - 0 posts
Murcia Airport transfer - 0 posts
Ramsey's Costa del Nightmares - 9 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 4

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x