They changed the law overnight and are fining people- that HAS to be illegal right?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
25 Sep 2014 5:30 PM by jess869 Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

I live in Zaragoza and use their public bike sharing system thing (their Boris Bikes). Bikes are pretty popular here and there are cycle lanes on most major roads. Overnight though they've decided that you can't go on certain roads in the city centre with a bike. Roads that actually have a cycle lane drawn on them. 

Yesterday I was cycling along and two pedestrians yelled at me that I'm gonna get fined. There was a police van further up the road- fining people for being on the cycle lane. There is no physical sign or anything that these cycle lanes are now not in use and no warning was given.

This has to be illegal right? There must be some sort of law that says they can only fine you if there's a sign up. Or that they must give you warning that they're changing the rules.

Everyone here is up in arms about it- the general consensus is that it's unfair and only a quick way for them to make money (50euro on the spot fine). 

Is there anyway we can fight back? 

It's a complete step backwards, bikes are supposed to be encouraged to ease congestion and be environmental etc. There must be some sort of angle we can work. This is pure bullying to make a quick quid. 

Like 0      
25 Sep 2014 10:29 PM by eos_ian Star rating in Valencia. 506 posts Send private message

Ian :   EOS TEAM MEMBER 

www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/ianandspain.aspx

Like 0      
25 Sep 2014 11:00 PM by jess869 Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Yeah, seen it. Most of the local papers are publishing stories like that. The problem is no one seems to be fighting back. Spanish people just kinda shrug and say "espana es asi". Maybe it's just the Brit in me but this just seems so unfair.  I know in the UK this would 100% be illegal and people would fight back. I'm wondering if that's even possible here...

Like 0      
26 Sep 2014 6:27 AM by chaddyowl Star rating in Manchester. 1264 posts Send private message

chaddyowl´s avatar

Good, they should ban them in the UK as well MENACE to the roads!!

Like 1      
26 Sep 2014 1:58 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Chaddyowl: Quote:-  Good, they should ban them  MENACE to the roads!!

As a cyclist I agree 100%.   Bikes should only ever be ridden on the road, except of course for VERY young children.

That said, in the case quoted, providing the signs which permit cycling are still on view, as is claimed (although the newspaper article quoted refers to cycling on foot paths and pedestrianised areas) then I would go to the police station concerned, probably Policia Local, and ask for and complete a Complaints form (hojas de Reclamación)   

Don’t be put off because it is the police: I have assisted people who have asked for the forms at a National Police Comisaria and the reaction has been to put right the problem instantly.

This message was last edited by johnzx on 26/09/2014.

Like 1      
27 Sep 2014 9:31 AM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

Zaragoza is a nightmare city for the car driver. I once stayed over night and tried to get back out on to the ring road. There are no signs telling you which way to go. Every street is one way and I ended up in the arms of the law going up one the wrong way! I protested the city was a nightmare for any stranger and the cop simply said tough whilst he handed me a ticket.

I have never been back since.

This message was last edited by Mickyfinn on 27/09/2014.

Like 1      
06 Oct 2014 4:19 PM by scambuster Star rating. 144 posts Send private message

I remember a town in Andalucia named Ubeda that was a nightmare to drive in, full of speed bumps that were unlit and unmarked which nearly wrecked our car, we had to do emergency repairs once we reached France.

Why would anyone English call themselves Ubeda on a property website elsewhere, never understood that?

This message was last edited by scambuster on 06/10/2014.

Like 1      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Surcharge or Admin Costs? - 3 posts
Raining in murcia ? - 13 posts
Bye bye Ruiz-Gallardon - 2 posts
12 dodgy Spanish menu translations (all genuine!!) - 3 posts
TRAVEL COT AND HIGH CHAIR UP FOR GRABS - 5 posts
Would i get a spanish mortgage - 6 posts
Sax - 0 posts
Corvera golf - 0 posts
Murcia Airport transfer - 0 posts
Ramsey's Costa del Nightmares - 9 posts
Is it Legal to pay For works done in the community without a proper invoice being presented? - 17 posts
BORED ! - 16 posts
The whereabouts of Wayne Stoneman last seen in Torrevieja and Javea. - 0 posts
Weather - 4 posts
Moving from the UK - 2 posts
House rental contracts - 5 posts
cheaper to both go autonomo or for me to employ my wife - 0 posts
Looink for most reliable wifi ni cordoba - 0 posts
GRANADA CHRISTMAS MARKET - 0 posts
Illegal European Enforcement orders - 9 posts
question re. healthcare and current medical issue. help needed - 8 posts
Hidralia - calling the helpline to set up payments - 6 posts
Endesa - billing cycle - 2 posts
Abogados in Huercal Overa area - 1 posts
GM LEGAL EXPERTS WON CASE - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 7

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x