Car insurance

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
27 Aug 2014 3:39 PM by pompom Star rating in London. 7 posts Send private message

My car was stolen but before all the paper work was completed the insurance became due and the amount taken out of my bank. When I queried this I was told thaf the car had to be insured as it hadn't been found and the paper work not completed. Does anyone know the rules re a refund. The car was found by the Guardia civil a few days later. It was burnt out. Anyone who has a car stolen hope that everything is completed before it is found. If not it takes hours and hours with the Guardia and then the truck took 2 weeks from picking the car up to taking it to the scrap yard. Numerous phone calls and emails. Altogether 2 months. I suppose I will have to wait weeks for the insurance to pay for the car.

the question now is do I get any of the €450 back from the years insurance.

Thanks for any information

Like 0      
28 Aug 2014 12:40 PM by acer Star rating. 1529 posts Send private message

Hi Pompom,

Sorry to hear of your misfortune.

You need to establish the date and possibly time exactly when the car was destroyed -  a written note from the Guardia Civil asap is essential.

If the date was before renewal date you are entitled to a 100% return of the premium paid in advance for the new year.  If the date the car was destroyed (not stolen) was after the renewal date you are not entitled to any refund.

The above is based on two established "rules" in insurance surrounding the principle of indemnity. Firstly, you cannot insure anything that does not exist.  Secondly in a write-off situation the insurers have fully indemnified you in paying out and therefore there is no refund for what would be a mid term cancellation of the policy.

If the Guardia Civil do not know the exact date try to get them to give you the likely earliest date it may have occurred and the date found, again in writing.

If you have any queries feel free to send me a PM if you prefer.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

WANTED PELLET/FIRE BURNER - 0 posts
Weather in murcia end of September - 9 posts
Spanish Inheritance Tax - 32 posts
Advice needed ref roquetas de mar - 0 posts
tv with english channels - 13 posts
Anyone want a vehicle taking to UK in September? Free! - 0 posts
banco sabadel. - 26 posts
Helping with cost of living idea - 2 posts
needed second hand 1.9 metre satellite dish - 0 posts
tom8922 - 0 posts
Internal rules of a community - 4 posts
Court Fees - 21 posts
Axiom Victim Help - 0 posts
La Renta tax rate? - 7 posts
Wanted - ladies and mens golf clubs - 0 posts
Buying in Spain - 5 posts
UK Car or Spanish Car?? Would love some advice please. - 15 posts
condado de alhama - 3 posts
Sun blinds - 4 posts
Over 2 millions visits to El Blog de Maria - 0 posts
Is their a Royal Thai Embassy in Malaga? - 6 posts
Bowling - 2 posts
Marbella IBI and Basura 2014 - 0 posts
President by ballot - 13 posts
Goods in Transit Insurance - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 2

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x