How do I open a teaching academy inland Spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
08 Dec 2013 7:48 AM by dbd Star rating. 63 posts Send private message

I am unsure as to where I come across the resources etc necessary to teach the qualifications in an academy. I know it used to be cambridge English or something similar that was taught in academies but now as far as I am aware it is a different qualification. Also I am unsure as to legal red tape and difficulties involved in opening an academy although I suppose this would be determined by the region.

Although  I am a qualified teacher with  QTS I suppose a PGCE is adequate to teach the TEFL qualification. I have been told the TEFL is mainly  proof of classroom experience can anybody clarify whether it is suffient? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Like 0      
08 Dec 2013 9:16 AM by txakoli Star rating. 18 posts Send private message

You should be able to pick up a leaflet explaining the University of Cambridge levels at a British Council centre (Instituto Britanico) or else the Cambridge web site. The levels go from A1 to C2 (lowest to highest). Most coursebooks used in Spain reflect one of the levels that prepares students for an English level & test, such as KET, PET, FCE, CAE & CPE.......(Key English Test, Proficiency English Test, First Certificate in English, Certificate in Advanced English & Certificate of Proficiency in English).

Spain comes pretty low down the list of EU countries with their standard of English spoken.  A PGCE is more than adequate to teach TEFL.  The most important attributes for teaching are good preparation & sound discipline. The fact that you are a 'native speaker' will count a lot in your favour. 

Like 0      
08 Dec 2013 9:56 AM by andyintorre Star rating in Costa Blanca. 104 posts Send private message

where in spain are you thinking of opening?

Like 0      
08 Dec 2013 10:28 AM by Roly2 Star rating in Almeria. 646 posts Send private message

Opening a language school is about the only viable business opportunity at the moment in Spain!!!   But even that will depend on where you are.   In Andalucia (Almeria to be even more specific) there is an unbelievable demand for good teachers of both English and German.   To be honest, your problem is not going to be to do with levels for certification or anything like that - they can be fairly easily sorted out once you are up and running - the real challenge will be to work through the system to set yourself up and to find suitable premises.    If you give us a few more details about what you are thinking, there are plenty on here with the knowledge of how to get going.   To run your academy, you do not need any teaching qualifications, though to TEACH in it, you should have TEFL at some level.  Being a teacher obviously helps.     

Like 0      
08 Dec 2013 12:08 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

14 Dec 2013 7:42 AM by dbd Star rating. 63 posts Send private message

Firstly, thank you for your replies. We are looking at inland Andalucia. our concern is Spanish beurocracy and how long, on average, it normally takes to get the licence to run an academy. We know of an academy that took two years to open. Not exactly sure if it was due to beurocracy or if there were other reasons.

Like 0      
14 Dec 2013 12:57 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

Good luck with your venture but rather than worry about the red tape etc yu need to ensure you have a good solid business plan

How much will you charge for courses

What is the competition like, what do they charge

What will you be doing that is so different to what is already available

How much will premises cost (outgoings, rent, tax, utilites, insurance, furniture etc)

How many people will you employ

How much will employing people cost (wages, employer social securty contributions, insurances etc)

What is your market and how many courses do you plan to run

What is the market demand

Advertising costs

What are your forecasts (profit, turnover, growth etc)

A lot to consider and I did a quick google search for English cousres in Andalucia, Alicante and and there is a lot of choice

Good luck but do your research and plan well

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

How can i trace the previous owners of our apartment? - 20 posts
Help prevent Mobile phone thefts / EMEI number - 2 posts
small Finca/Villa/Apartment forr very long term rental wanted.. - 0 posts
cancelling residencia - 14 posts
Law 57/68 explained - 6 posts
Lagos de Santa María and Supreme Court - 2 posts
Holiday let insurance company not paying out. - 35 posts
driving uk reg car in spain - 11 posts
Buying a used car from a dealership - 11 posts
Log Book - 9 posts
Returning hired car with too much fuel - 3 posts
Log burner flue pipes. - 0 posts
Kia dealers in Mazarron or Cartagena? - 3 posts
Aircon supplier/installer in Valencia - 0 posts
Good hardware store in Valencia - 3 posts
spanish inheritance tax - 9 posts
End of Year Accounts for Non Residential Living in Spain - 4 posts
DELETE a POST - 7 posts
Strong Wholemeal & White Flour - 3 posts
Another Non Residents Tax Question - 9 posts
Benefits in Europe: country by country - 34 posts
JSC Sports - Al Jazeera & Fox Sports Italia in dispute with FA - 0 posts
Any legal question on buying property in Spain? Maria answers - 32 posts
CRB check Spain - 14 posts
Wildfire & insurance - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 7

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x