Bought a French car with the intention of taking it to Spain – not a straightforward process.

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
14 Oct 2013 8:30 PM by paddyw Star rating. 32 posts Send private message

Bought a French car with the intention of taking it to Spain – not a straightforward process.

I just bought a French left hand drive car with the intention of taking it to Spain.  I will need to wait 6 months before registering it in Spain in order to avoid the import duty.  I was intending to take it to Spain about Feb 2014.

I thought this would be relatively straightforward but it has not worked out that way.  My first problem is that UK insurance companies do not want to insure foreign registered cars.  The second problem is that the UK Government does not allow UK residents to drive foreign registered cars in the UK.  I therefore have a car which I can not drive.

I had thought of registering it under UK plates and then taking it to Spain.  I could register it as a UK car which would overcome the insurance obstacle and this would allow me to drive it in Spain for 90 days.  However, there are a number of UK requirements that have to be met.  These are similar to the conditions imposed by the Spanish Government when we want to register a UK car in Spain.  The first requirement is for left dipping headlights and the second is for a dual marked speedometer.  My left hand car fails on both these requirements.  The lights dip for Europe not the UK.  All the French and Spanish cars I have ever driven only have kilometre markings on the speedometer.

I feel I am running out of options.  I have contemplated transporting it to Spain and then trying to insure it there.  I don’t know whether Spanish insurers will insure non Spanish cars – does anyone have any experience of this.

There is a great deal of experience among the members of this forum and I would be grateful for any constructive advice and suggestions.

I look forward to hearing from you.

PaddyW

Like 0      
15 Oct 2013 9:25 AM by eos_ian Star rating in Valencia. 506 posts Send private message

eos_ian´s avatar

As your plan is to take it to Spain, you will obviously have to change the plates to Spanish plates. There are some insurance companies in Spain that will insure foreign plates for 3 months and then you must change the plates to Spanish ones. So the normal procedure would be to get the insurance on your French car froma  Spanish insurance company and apply for the Spanish plates at the same time. Not sure how long that takes but you would have a window of 3 months to be able to drive the car in Spain. Not sure if this helps you or not..

Ian :   EOS TEAM MEMBER 

www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/ianandspain.aspx

Like 0      
15 Oct 2013 1:28 PM by BobbyBlue Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

very tricky one

you could wait 6 months and then pay for a transporter to spain only to find out that the paperwork for the french car is incomplete which could very easily render the car useless.

i think this is a case of trying to save money wrongly because cars in spain have never been cheaper.

scrap it or sell it and just buy spanish

Like 0      
22 Oct 2013 8:15 AM by Philsreparacion Star rating in Estepona . 1 posts Send private message

Tricky yes .
Sell it on millanuncios as spares over a period of time you will double your money you paid for it !

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

WANTED flat to share on Costa del Sol - 0 posts
Property Swap - 3 posts
Enter the b****y code - 3 posts
Malaga Car Hire - 4 posts
utilities and costings - 2 posts
trying to find a flight Search Engine - 5 posts
route Bilbao to costa del sol - 5 posts
Wer spricht deutsch? - 3 posts
Oh dear, this member hasn't provided any information yet - 41 posts
Denuncias - 11 posts
Anti social behaviour by tenants - 1 posts
COCKROACHES IN SPAIN SORTED OUT AND HOW - 0 posts
CostaLuz or MariadeCastro? - 5 posts
Los Alcazares: Looking for a Handyman, Plumber, Electrician - 1 posts
Garlic and Olive Oil - The Seventies and Eighties in Spain - 1 posts
Typhoid vaccination - possible from a private clinic? - 1 posts
thor TL1 500 - 0 posts
IF IT ISN’T BROKE DON’T FIX IT - 3 posts
easyJet Flights June-Sept - 0 posts
one way van hire move - 0 posts
Controversial but is it Truthful - 19 posts
Have you, or has anyone you know, left the UK to start a new life? - 4 posts
Wanted: Office Desk - 0 posts
Mother gored to death during bull-running. - 5 posts
Santander contact. - 7 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 4

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x