route Bilbao to costa del sol

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
13 Oct 2013 3:34 PM by cabapino Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

info needed we are taking the portsmouth -- zierbena (bilbao) ferry 10/11/2013 2 night crossing advice on route we are in no rush as we are going to visit our daughter's for the winter.Any info on hotels, route.

Like 0      
13 Oct 2013 5:55 PM by txakoli Star rating. 18 posts Send private message

Hi;  we live in Bizkaia, my wife being Basque.

Depends what time you disembark in Bilbao.  If early in the morning, you could go mad & do it to the costa del sol in a day, tho' I'd hate to do that & miss interesting parts of Spain.

Vitoria isn't much really;  Logroño has good pintxos (tapas to southerners!!) & Laguardia in la Rioja is an interesting wine hill town.  Problem then is that the national road to Soria is a bit twisty & then you're faced with probably going to Madrid & round one of its too many ring roads which confuse me like hell. 

Otherwise Bilbao-Burgos on autopista, which'll be about €14-15. Countryside a bit boring, but Bilbao-Burgos you should be able to do in around 2 hours.  Burgos catherdral worth seeing. Then autovia, free, to Valladolid & from there, you could do worse than see some of the more spectacular castles of Castilla, such as Medina del Campo, Coca  (a real gem) Isabel's birthplace of Madrigal de las Altas Torres (no castle), & then Avila, where you could stay overnight.

From Avila on the N403 thro' the Sierra De Gredos to Toledo then on autovia to Consuegra (windmills), Valdepeñas, then south, perhaps stopping to visit the museum at las Navas de Tolosa, where the Moors were defeated in 1212 (museum closed Mondays).  It's signposted off the autovia & is just north of la Carolina.  Ubeda is an interesting hill town also to visit, just south east of Jaen.  Once you're there, I guess you know the way better than me back to the Costa. 

regards

paul attard

Like 0      
13 Oct 2013 6:31 PM by cabapino Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Thank you Paul

the ferry is due to dock 07.30 i will use your info and make a relaxed no rush journey to Estepona.We will take a few days.On return to santander at end February we will go via Seville Salamanca Valladolid.

Regards

Roy

Like 0      
13 Oct 2013 7:59 PM by txakoli Star rating. 18 posts Send private message

If you're taking a few days, then maybe a detour to Segovia might be worth thinking about.  As you're probably aware, it's famous for the Roman Aqueduct & suckling pig, in either order!!  Also,  from Avila, rather than the N403, take the yellow road(Michelin map) N 502 going thro' Cuevas del Valle & the castle of Mombeltran.  More picturesque.  There's also a 'mirador' (viewpoint) overlooking the Roman 'calzada' where they still drive cattle on the famous transhumance route. Being an ex-shepherd/agriculturalist, I'm therefore interested in such things!

Salamanca on your return shouldn't disappoint. 

Like 0      
14 Oct 2013 9:48 PM by petermadd Star rating. 12 posts Send private message

A real treat is the Finca la Estacada in Tarancon just south of Madrid. Aim to arrive by 3.30 and you then get a free spa session. The accommodation is modern and beautiful and attached to a winery. Lovely rooms, beautiful gardens and if you have time a free guided tour of the winery in the morning. Reasonable well priced food on the terrace. We love staying here on the way down to the Costa Calida.

Like 0      
14 Oct 2013 9:59 PM by petermadd Star rating. 12 posts Send private message

Forgot to say, lots of free wine starting with two bottles in your room!

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Wer spricht deutsch? - 3 posts
Oh dear, this member hasn't provided any information yet - 41 posts
Denuncias - 11 posts
Anti social behaviour by tenants - 1 posts
COCKROACHES IN SPAIN SORTED OUT AND HOW - 0 posts
CostaLuz or MariadeCastro? - 5 posts
Los Alcazares: Looking for a Handyman, Plumber, Electrician - 1 posts
Garlic and Olive Oil - The Seventies and Eighties in Spain - 1 posts
Typhoid vaccination - possible from a private clinic? - 1 posts
thor TL1 500 - 0 posts
IF IT ISN’T BROKE DON’T FIX IT - 3 posts
easyJet Flights June-Sept - 0 posts
one way van hire move - 0 posts
Controversial but is it Truthful - 19 posts
Have you, or has anyone you know, left the UK to start a new life? - 4 posts
Wanted: Office Desk - 0 posts
Mother gored to death during bull-running. - 5 posts
Santander contact. - 7 posts
Golden Leaves Leaflet - 0 posts
Rental Income - Allowable Expenses - 20 posts
Eutelsat 28a & Astra 2F changes - 11 posts
New to site and need some advice please. - 4 posts
Iberdrola PPI Charge . Can we get rid ? - 11 posts
UK Probate - 2 posts
Beach space to rent - 5 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 6

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x