KISSING GOODBYE TO TENANCY DEPOSITS

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
27 Aug 2013 8:31 AM by mike_walsh Star rating in Torrevieja. 594 posts Send private message

mike_walsh´s avatar

A couple of months back I raised the hot topic of lost deposits on rental properties. The pros had their say of course and why not? Tenants are not against deposits in principle but there is weary resignation that they can kiss their deposit goodbye. For this reason many properties stay empty.

We walked away from several we were looking at - and they are still empty. Some wanted two months rental-deposit so a €500 tenancy requires €1,500 upfront and ’trust me’ on getting the €1,000 back. Dream on! Pull the other one.

Short-term greed is losing long term gain. A €600 pm property losing the security and maintenance of a tenant and €7,200 rent a year for a lousy €600. Duh!

Why raise the point again? Dear friends of ours, a hard-working couple with a perfect record of tenancy have just been fleeced of their deposit. They had placed a €1,100 (two months rent); left the house as they found it but only €500 was transferred to their account without even an explanation. Not surprisingly, she and her husband are fuming at the theft, for that is what it is. Nothing has changed my opinion, pay a deposit and presume to forfeit it.

Russian - English Translations, Copywriting and Ghostwiting. Check my Website or email keyboardcosmetics@gmail.com for details

www.keyboardcosmetics.com

Like 0      
27 Aug 2013 11:13 AM by I_Love_javea Star rating in Gibraltar / Morocco .... 125 posts Send private message

Did they rent through an official agent, so called "agent" or one of the many working from home on the internet? Now that sales are few and far between with much lower commisions many are relying on rentals to make ends meet and unfortunately what you describe is common place. When you dig deeper you find that many are also taking a finders fee from the tenants as well as the commission from the property owners. Best advice is to rent direct from the owners whenever possible.

Shiny happy people - where?

Like 0      
27 Aug 2013 11:29 PM by christos1980 Star rating. 7 posts Send private message

Does Spain have tenancy deposit protection schemes in operation?  Scandalous behaviour.

Like 0      
28 Aug 2013 12:16 AM by ads Star rating. 4124 posts Send private message

Good question Christos.......all of these incidents that increasingly bring into question consumer protection issues in Spain need to be resolved if Spain is ever to recover purchaser's/renter's trust.

I keep pressing the point about the dire need for adequate timely consumer protection/justice across member states and the need to establish a reputable independent system of accreditation for the various professions to route out the bad apples from within.

Let's hope that those in power both in Spain and the European Commission, start to heed the message and replicate good practice wherever it exists, learn lessons, and bring to the table a workable and fair package of reform (ever the optimist!).

It's unfair not only to innocent consumers caught up in these abusive practices but also those who are desperately and courageously striving for reform from within (for whom I remain very grateful).

Like 0      
28 Aug 2013 7:43 AM by Mailpoint_Dave Star rating in Algorfa. 3 posts Send private message

I thought that 2 months rent was normal. Then when you give notice, min 1 month, you don't actually pay the last month. So effective only 1 month deposit. Could this be what happened with MW friends?

Like 0      
03 Sep 2013 12:42 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

You should always use the deposit to pay the last month's rent, or in this case, the last 2 months rent.  This is what the Spanish do as they know they will never get their deposit back otherwise.

Read my blog: Spain Money Saving Tips and Offers 

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 1      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Coming for a Preview - 0 posts
applying for health care - 28 posts
TO ALL BLOGGERS & ADMIN - 0 posts
problems with my kindle. - 5 posts
problem with web page - 5 posts
habitation certificate - 40 posts
Blog changes!! WHERE ARE PHOTOS I UPLOADED? - 10 posts
Goodfly - 0 posts
administrators - 3 posts
I am looking at geting a new bench top any recommendations? - 3 posts
Disapponted visit to Spain - 10 posts
swimming pools - 2 posts
Social Security Payments- Optional? - 1 posts
Windows - 1 posts
Legal tip 1010. Law on Foreign investments in Spain. Bit four - 0 posts
Have you been affected by a Cowboy Builder? - 23 posts
JUST WHO IS DOING THE SHOPLIFTING - 11 posts
fulhampatrick - 0 posts
Need a new kitchen and or bench top - 0 posts
Google Chrome Bug - 2 posts
Spain: fertile lands in return for European assistance and credits. - 0 posts
Bank accounts in the UK - 5 posts
Gibraltar border cntrols - 1 posts
EHIC vs Travel Insurance - 10 posts
Private and public healthcare - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 6

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x