Living In Spain Documentary Film

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
01 Dec 2012 2:52 AM by Andygman Star rating in Leeds. 21 posts Send private message

How about a man and woman retiring to Spain for a better life. Taking their daughter and son in law with them. Buying a house to renovate in Northern Spain where there are not many expats (nearest 5 miles away). Having to learn the language because people only speak Spanish (well I never what a bugger, they should learn English lol). The joys of getting plumbers and electricians to do what you want and pay Spanish prices not English. The paperwork to have anything done from knocking down walls to buying a car (in triplicate and in a foreign language). Having to learn new skills and adapting to the rural way of life where people smile at you greet you and help you with no thought for themselves. Having an old lady knock on the door asking if we needed any help as she`s heard from the local panaderia an English family had moved here (what a godsend she is).

Having our 3 year old granddaughter start mainstream Spanish school straight away. Now 7 and more fluent in Spanish than we will ever be. Working part time in a school where the kids run up and hug you when they see you and the manners that they have got (must be the water). Getting a joint of meat from the butcher, cooking it and finding that it comes out the same size as when you first started cooking it (what not injected with water). Waking up on a morning, looking out of the window, seeing the lake and the mountains (priceless). Getting 3 monthly check ups by the doctor and nurse. Bollocked if you have put on weight and not lost, as well as the yearly blood test (bloody hell my cholesterol and high blood pressure are normal at long last) Not having to use my ventolin as the air is so clean and my asthma is at bay. Growing our own veg in the garden and having enough to give away to the locals.Oh and another thing, leaving our door open all day and not living in fear. Do I regret moving to Spain with all the trials and tribulations we have had? Of course I do (NOT NOT NOT).Also the wife is happy which is good for me.

This message was last edited by Andygman on 01/12/2012.

This message was last edited by Andygman on 01/12/2012.

Like 0      
01 Dec 2012 6:46 AM by hrespana Star rating. 31 posts Send private message

I suspect that the vast majority of expats are enjoying living in Spain.  However, the documentary would not be honest if it did not at least mention some of the problems people have when things go wrong.  Although this only affects the minority, it is nevertheless a real experience for a lot of people who get swamped by the bureaucracy and tackling less-than honest Ayuntamientos.

It would also be prudent to contrast couples and familes that live here with the life of single people, especially the elderly.

I love Spain, I do not want to leave, but I have had some awful experiences with large companies and local officials in the townhall that took my breath away.

If the target audience for the documentary is British people who might be considering moving to Spain, it would be dishonest to pretend that it's all blue skies and what I would have found very useful is an awareness of the very different attitudes and culture in Spain, most of which came as quite a shock!

Go for it !  But I agree with previous contributors - half an hour isn't enough!

Like 0      
01 Dec 2012 8:22 AM by deecoco Star rating. 17 posts Send private message

I have lived here 11 years and it is more difficult to integrate than you first think. Learning the language is only part of the problem (though  large part). The Spanish people particularly the older ones are very set in their ways and we do not always understand their customs and unless you are actually living with them you probably never will. Dont get me wrong I find them a charming and accommodating  race on the whole albeit at times somewhat frustrating.Now it is becoming even more difficult with the influx of Scandinavians, Eastern Europeans and Chinese

Most programmes show you what it is like  to live here in the Summer, blue skies and equally blue sea.. Sunshine and smiley faces .a permanent holiday feeling. We never see (and people back in the UK dont believe we have cold weather).what it is like living here in the winter months. That our cold weather payments from the UK are necessary. That the houses are not built for cold weather and how difficult it is to keep our homes warm. How hard it is for businesses to keep going.

Spain is not Utopia nowhere is.. and though I decry those who whinge about Spain because they want England with sunshine I also would argue with those who make it sound like its heaven down here on earth because Spain has its faults like anywhere else. In the final analysis life is what you make it and there has to be a certain "live and let live" attitude.

Like 0      
01 Dec 2012 9:10 AM by Andygman Star rating in Leeds. 21 posts Send private message

I agree that things are not all rosy here and the cold weather is one of them. Heating a large house can be expensive. But we have found ways to make it better (double glazed windows, draught excluders, curtains on the front and back door and of course more insulation). Still watching the gasoil boiler drinking oil quicker than I can down a pint is upsetting. The thing is you adapt to your circumstance, it is nice lighting the wood burner on an evening, sitting down with a nice bottle of wine and some good food. As to the snow, they are so geared up to clearing it quickly (2 foot of snow in the night cleared from the roads by the next day before lunch)

But my BIGGEST gripe living here is that there are no Indian takeaways or a bookies where I can have an occasional wager on the geegees (mind you more money for the wife to spend on clothes).

On the whole though as it was said in the previous comment life is what you make of it. Also the other part is making friends is great as they are as interested in you as you are in them. So would we ever go back , well the emphatic answer is NO

Like 0      
01 Dec 2012 10:46 AM by Harry07 Star rating. 205 posts Send private message

Well Andy's Spanish experience certainly contrasts with Camposol's !!!

I am somewhat puzzled - is it mindset, good luck, tough breaks or what ?????

Cheers,

Harry

Like 0      
01 Dec 2012 12:14 PM by magnum44 Star rating in Figueres, Catalonia. 1 posts Send private message

Hi John,

A Documentary for ex-pats sounds good. I am not sure about 30 minutes though. I would have thought 1 hour (or even 2 !) would be better. I am sure that you will find more than enough to fill an hour.

Personally my wife and I moved here 12 years ago. We started off in Almeria, then in deferenc to my wife's fair skin moved to Catalonia where we still are.

Contact if you need anything that might help.

Magnum44

Like 0      
01 Dec 2012 12:52 PM by Farnsfield Star rating in Benalmadena. 4 posts Send private message

A documentary about British Expats living in Spain is an excellent idea. There have been over the ;last 20 years or so a number of documentaries about Brits in Spain but they have not been well balanced in their opinions and views. I have a doctorate in International Retirement Migrtion centering on older British retirees. If you want any help please ask. Charles B

Like 0      
01 Dec 2012 2:05 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

Andygman-you would definitely not leave your door open all day here! It's lovely that you can do this where you are.

I know this is a very extreme and disturbing example, but go to "Murcia Today," search Georgina's story, about an elderly ex pat in the Mazarron area. What happenened to her is horrendous, despicable-there are no adjectives strong enough. As I said this is a very rare set of events, but nevertheless we should bear certain aspects of it in our minds.

Like 0      
02 Dec 2012 12:44 PM by Stratico Star rating in Los Barrios. 10 posts Send private message

There's so many UK film producers looking to sensationalise disasters of moving to Spain that the idea of a documentary about Success In Spain is a positive retort. However, who are you? Are you an experienced film maker? Do you have a production company? What is the timing etc etc etc or us this post just to get some quick and general feedback to an idea? Personally, I don't think anyone who s serious about thus would want to share their plans or time without knowing more as, sadly, the dirty tricks of UK media has damaged trust.

Like 0      
04 Dec 2012 11:49 PM by DMG Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Hi John

I agree with Stratico.  On many occasions im really disappointed with UK news and documentaries about the Costa del Sol.  Its all doom and gloom and Cow boys and crime on the Coast. They very seldomly show the happy stories here.  But the truth of the matter is that there are many xpats who would never go back to the UK and are so happy here and most feel safer walking the streets here. Although, many complain about how expensive living has become here, including myself!

I was born in the Uk , educated there to post graduate level, and worked as a Forensic Toxicologist for 10 years in London.  Made the move to the Costa del Sol.  Couldnt find a similar job here, realised that tourism and real estate were the most likely options that I would have to resort to,  The past 9 years have been the best years of my life!  Luckily for me, I speak Spanish and this has been my safety net during the crisis.

I would suggest your documentary shows the life of expats who integrate themselves within the Spanish way of life,  here you will another field of view. 

Daniel

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

VPN - 1 posts
Any advice please. - 4 posts
Community Fees and Debt Recovery Problems - 20 posts
UK DL to Spanish - 16 posts
Real Estate Leads - 0 posts
Grupo 90 - Vacaciones en el infierno - 5 posts
jazztel - 5 posts
Holiday companies - 6 posts
Fifty Shades of Oh My Gawd....v.3 - 4 posts
From the USA, want to buy a car in Spain - 3 posts
What's easiest? Taking my uk RHD to Spain, taking a LHD to Spain on UK plates or buying a LHD in Spain? Help - 4 posts
Why was Spain First Choice & any Oversights/Regrets ??? - 18 posts
Astra 2 F change over tests - 16 posts
TIPS ON BUYING A PROPERTY IN SPAIN - 1 posts
Looking for Lawyers on the Costa del Sol... - 2 posts
hi , matthew here - 2 posts
Record low interest rates - 0 posts
solicitors charges when selling a property. - 7 posts
I need to take my bike licence - 2 posts
One way car hire fees - 0 posts
Cancelling Insurances - Assurance - 7 posts
Form 210 - 1 posts
Some would rather go to prison than face life :) - 1 posts
NEW REGULATIONS re CASH, TAX ON OVERSEAS ASSETTS and automatic Residencia and - 6 posts
New years eve in Duquesa or Sabinillas - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 30

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x