Electrical wiring help

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
24 Apr 2012 2:55 PM by garyizme Star rating. 17 posts Send private message

I have a faulty switch for my hot water cylinder. I have changed switches here in the past and in the UK. When I install the new one it blows the main fuse so there is a problem. I have 2 blue and 2 black wires. Any suggestions, could it be a faulty switch?

Like 0      
24 Apr 2012 3:07 PM by steve and anita Star rating in in San Cayetano. 324 posts Send private message

steve and anita´s avatar

If it still trips when you have fitted a new switch, it sounds like a problem with the boiler. Try an extension lead in another socket and plug the boiler into it, if it trips then its defo a problem with the boiler.

Like 0      
24 Apr 2012 3:13 PM by garyizme Star rating. 17 posts Send private message

Hi, boiler is only 2 months old. Strange thing is switch works when on but trips when it is switched off

Like 0      
24 Apr 2012 3:15 PM by steve and anita Star rating in in San Cayetano. 324 posts Send private message

steve and anita´s avatar

Are you sure you have wired it correctly, as it sounds like a dead short when in the off position.

Like 0      
24 Apr 2012 3:21 PM by garyizme Star rating. 17 posts Send private message

Hi, sorry but what is a dead short. My knowledge is only DIY. I have put the 2 black wires into one side and 2 blue into the other

Like 0      
24 Apr 2012 3:23 PM by steve and anita Star rating in in San Cayetano. 324 posts Send private message

steve and anita´s avatar

Oh, have you tried what I previously suggested, plugging into an extension lead in another socket.

Like 0      
24 Apr 2012 3:27 PM by garyizme Star rating. 17 posts Send private message

Hi, yes, everything works with that. Strange thing is with the old boiler when we put a timer switch onto it it quite ofter blew the breaker, that is why we bought a new boiler. The switch started to stick yesterday so that could have been the problem all along

Like 0      
24 Apr 2012 3:31 PM by steve and anita Star rating in in San Cayetano. 324 posts Send private message

steve and anita´s avatar

Try it without the timer, boilers when the initially come on can draw a huge current thus tripping the trip switch, also is it a cheap chinese timer switch???

Like 0      
24 Apr 2012 3:33 PM by garyizme Star rating. 17 posts Send private message

I no longer use the timer as it is an eco boiler and yes it is a chinese switch so a trip to bricolage for me i think!!

Like 0      
24 Apr 2012 3:35 PM by steve and anita Star rating in in San Cayetano. 324 posts Send private message

steve and anita´s avatar

It sounds like your problem then, especially as you say it started to "stick", its probably starting to burn out. Get a decent switch and it should sort it.

Like 0      
24 Apr 2012 3:36 PM by garyizme Star rating. 17 posts Send private message

Thanks, it's the new one that's chinese. The old one is the original, probably 10 years old now. Many thanks off to buy a real one

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

What is European Law ? - 0 posts
Ryanair and Gatwick - 0 posts
Google play - 2 posts
Kylie Minogue Lookalike and Tribute Act - First on the scene back in 1997 - 0 posts
Almunecar car boot - 1 posts
PROPERTY CAPITAL GAINS TAX LIABILITY - 8 posts
Costa Luz Lawyers - 6 posts
how do you get to see a doctor if its not an emergency? - 5 posts
Rod Stewart tribute night - 0 posts
Dublin to Almeria - 0 posts
House to Rent Los Alcazares / Roda / Senorio that sort of Area - 1 posts
Is this Fraud or just me being Cynical ? - 9 posts
NIE MARBELLA - 1 posts
NIE MARBELLA - 4 posts
Teaching English with monthly income up to EUR2100 pre month - 0 posts
gibralter and spain combined - 12 posts
So, how does it feel to have someone in a foreign country steal your property ??? - 1 posts
Can I get an N.I.E. without a passport? - 2 posts
Renew Documents - 6 posts
QuickDollarz - 0 posts
insurance in spain - 7 posts
EU Citizens Registration (Help with form) - 0 posts
Renault Scenic '98 Turbo Diesel for sale Spanish registered! - 4 posts
Car Hire - Alicante Airport April 2012 - 10 posts
Mercedes,Spainish translator - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 11

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x