quesada to gibralter

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
11 Apr 2012 12:44 AM by quesada11 Star rating. 31 posts Send private message

Hi can anyone tell me the best and cheapest way to get to gibralter, i have friends who want to visit there while on holiday in july, do the trains run that far from alicante

think flights will be to expensive?

They dont want to hire a car, think maybe a couch would be better if there are any running that time of year?

Like 0      
11 Apr 2012 2:32 AM by stillgoin Star rating. 161 posts Send private message

wonder why you would want to go to gibralter  or gibraltar even its so very boring?

This message was last edited by stillgoin on 11/04/2012.

Like 0      
11 Apr 2012 6:23 AM by guslopez Star rating in Lorca, Murcia.. 745 posts Send private message

No the trains terminate at Águilas . Alhough you could go up to Madrid & back down on the ave. Plane or Coach would be the only way ..

Todos somos Lorca.

Like 0      
11 Apr 2012 6:19 PM by mr.kevin Star rating in Costa Blanca. 189 posts Send private message

mr.kevin´s avatar

Gibraltar is 573 km from the CB, and a long but easy ride by car, driving is the only feasable way to get there.

Flying to Gib. will mean arriving at Seville or Malaga and a expensive taxi down to the border. Going by train will also be a difficult journey with many changes. You may get a bus as far as La Linea, not sure about this though.

Driving to Gib. takes about 5 1/2 hours with stops, I have done it many times not for pleasure though. There are some good hotels in Gib. but expensive, avoid the Bristol. Avoid getting there mid morning as the wait at the border can be long.

Gib. is worth a visit if you have never been there before, it has not changed for the 35 years since I first worked there. One day with an over night stay will be long enough.

Tell you friends, not to go mad with the cheap cigs. and the Guardia will have them crossing back into Spain.

Like 0      
11 Apr 2012 7:30 PM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

quote...Tell you friends, not to go mad with the cheap cigs. and the Guardia will have them crossing back into Spain....

Currently Spanish regs limit each visitor to one carton of 200 per month.

For information...It is possible to do it by train with one change at Madrid but the destination station is Algeciras so you would have to get a bus back to La linea for the Gib border. Journey time including a two hour layover in Madrid is around 10 hours.

It is also possible to get a direct coach from Alicante to Algeciras which calls at La Linea. see the alsa.es website.  The timetable is as follows;

Alicante dep 0320, La Linea arrive 1300;

La linea dep 0920 alicante arr 2020.

The fare is 102€ return.

As Mr Kevin says its a long way and the only redeeming factor is that your visitors will see a lot of Spain en route. The coach routes via Guadix, Granada, Loja, Malaga, Marbella and Estepona. The route by train from Madrid is via Cordoba and Ronda and one of the most scenic routes in the world from Ronda to Algeciras.

fb

http://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Like 0      
11 Apr 2012 8:29 PM by mr.kevin Star rating in Costa Blanca. 189 posts Send private message

mr.kevin´s avatar

Yes, the scenery en route from the CB to Gib. is very good, also you can drive on the N92 and not see another vehicle for miles.

Out of 10 times through the border, I have been stopped 6 and asked for cigs. bad luck Guardia, I don't smoke.

Like 0      
14 Apr 2012 10:30 AM by spiritofspain Star rating in Riviera del Sol, Mij.... 114 posts Send private message

spiritofspain´s avatar

It seems a long way to go for a few ciggies - but I do have to dissagree with Stillgoin on the boring bit.

Sure if all you do is walk up and down Main Street and then pop to Morrisons every time you go ... it will be a drag.

BUT

All that history .. there are so many historical and even contempory things to see and do .. just have a look at the following sites -

http://www.gibraltar.gov.gi/calendar-of-events for all thats happening right now including Fashion Week ..

http://www.gibraltar.gov.uk/holiday.php is also very informative

and for anyone who likes walking there are fantastic walks that will allow you to explore the whole island and see at first hand the amazing flora and fauna - not forgetting that Gibraltar is a great place for birdwatchers to see the mass of migrating birds crossing the straits each year

and no I dont work for the Gib tourist office!!!

This message was last edited by spiritofspain on 14/04/2012.

Margery

www.losarqueros.iowners.net  and www.calahondapark.iowners.net

Like 0      
14 Apr 2012 12:48 PM by wackyjac Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

If you contact either Rosas tours, who are based in Quesada, or Daves coaches who are near Torrevieja they both do coach trips that take in Gibraltar, and the coaches pick up in Quesda, so you could sit back and enjoy the scenery and see other places as well.  They both advertise in the local free papers, Or you could look them up on the internet and that will show their itinerary.  We have been on trips with both companies and they are very good value for money.  Hope this helps.

Like 0      
14 Apr 2012 1:52 PM by jokamac Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

If they do go and decide to have an overnight stop, tell them not to stay on Gibraltar but stay on the Spanish side of the border the hotel prices are much cheaper.

Like 0      
14 Apr 2012 3:44 PM by Jualsy Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

Coach Trip companies do trips to Gibraltar. Try Davids Coaches. They are good.

Like 0      
14 Apr 2012 8:11 PM by watchmanager Star rating. 25 posts Send private message

This message was last edited by watchmanager on 14/04/2012.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

El calon - 3 posts
Help with Santa Greenhills - 4 posts
FURNITURE WANTED - Costa Del Sol - Elvira Area - 0 posts
health care coin area - 0 posts
car for sale - 0 posts
FREE Gatwick/Valencia flights 11/04/12 ~ 09/05/12 - 0 posts
Car insurance question - 5 posts
Taxis from Malaga - 8 posts
Kitten Wanted - 1 posts
Car Wanted! - 2 posts
As in the UK so it shall be in Spain... - 9 posts
Pope Benedict meets the Polizei - 0 posts
for sale - 0 posts
best fish and chips - 42 posts
water and electric installation - 5 posts
Drives and paths - 0 posts
Moving To Marbella/ Spain - 5 posts
La Condesa de Mijas Golf - 7 posts
Hey guys I am new at here... - 1 posts
Web Development degrees in Spain - 3 posts
Re Mortgages - 1 posts
Legal issue boundary wall - 7 posts
Quoting for serious reformation work in an 8 storey building - 6 posts
Comparison website for electricity and gas prices - 0 posts
HELP in identifying Spanish Bank into which my Spanish Lawyer paid my deposits. - 7 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 11

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x