Hotel saying they missed charging us - is it a scam?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
22 Feb 2012 12:00 AM by curious Star rating. 28 posts Send private message

Hi all.

Just wanted a bit of advice.  We go to spain quite often,we have a property over there.

As our property is iin a busy but rural town we tend to spend a few days in a commercial hotel -for the kids.

We visited the said hotel 3 times last year april aug and oct.  Booking on line with credit card, sometimes paying by cash, sometimes by card when we got there but always giving our credit card  and passports on arrival and signing out properly when we leave.

We received a phone call a few days before christmas saying we did not pay our bill in Aug as there was a new system and they forgot to take it and could we give them our credit card over the phone.  We said no and that we would have to look into it as we have changed credit card and we would need to ask for our online credit cards also we may have paid cash as we take alot out over there. It was a long time ago and only for a few days on our holiday and we really can't remember. It all seems a bit odd.

We have had a couple of missed calls from them, but no message left.  Surely if this was genuine they would email or write to us? We had to give all our details each time at booking.  Has this happened to anyone else?  This is a big chain I am talking about.

Not sure what to do. Has anyone got advice with how to deal with this?

Thanks.

Like 0      
22 Feb 2012 11:04 PM by cbrammeld Star rating. 172 posts Send private message

Even if you paid cash you would have still received a receipt. Unless the cashier did not complete booking you out and pocketed the money. 

If they are genuine, they will have your address and can write to you with copies of the bill in question. It is possible their epos system failed but that is there responsibilty. Non payment would have shown up within few days not 4 months later.

Are you able to email the hotel direct or its head office for clarity on the position?

Like 0      
22 Feb 2012 11:17 PM by curious Star rating. 28 posts Send private message

Thanks for your reply.

They may have given me a receipt.  It is that long ago, I dont keep cash receipts for that type of thing. Especially as we have stayed there since then and had no problems.  Problem is proof, would hate to pay twice.

I think what I will do is wait for another phonecall and ask them to put it in writing to us. I may contact the manager or head office would rather deal with them than someone on the phone asking for my credit card.   They are normally great  but this is odd. Dont want it problems when we go over next.

This message was last edited by curious on 22/02/2012.

Like 0      
23 Feb 2012 1:07 AM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

I would not give my credit card detail's out to someone that had phoned you!  Get them to put it in writing .  Which really they should have done in  the first place. That is if it is the hotel.probably another scam

Patricia

This message was last edited by pat and roy on 23/02/2012.

Like 0      
23 Feb 2012 3:28 PM by mrnkar Star rating in Lancashire. 55 posts Send private message

And if they call again, dial 1471 straight afterwards to see if and what the phone no: is they are calling from.  Karen

Like 0      
23 Feb 2012 3:51 PM by manyarna Star rating in the UK- Heart is in .... 59 posts Send private message

Being you said you have stayed there since this period they are now mentioning I would point out to them if they ring again that you have stayed there several times some of which you have paid in cash of which this occasion in August could have been one and therefore you cant really help further ( unless you want to )

At the least get them to confirm all in writing and suggest you can discuss it next time you visit.

Like 0      
23 Feb 2012 7:57 PM by curious Star rating. 28 posts Send private message

Thanks for your replies and advice.

I agree with your suggestions and will refuse to give card details and ask them to write to me.  If I get a letter, I will then contact them by email or visit when I am over in April.

Nicky x

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Sabadell and Cam - 0 posts
Legal advice - community problems! - 14 posts
Driving friends to and from Alicante airport - 10 posts
Buying in centro historico Malaga - 6 posts
Online Community Website - 4 posts
El Faro, Mijas - 12 posts
3% retention tax - 21 posts
Car parking in Malaga - 2 posts
BBC outside UK - 3 posts
Ryanair - 0 posts
Spanish lawyers - 2 posts
Vodafone USB Stick To pup - 4 posts
Sr Rajoy and David Cameron meet at 1.30 pm today in Downing street. - 12 posts
Understanding Endesa Electricty Bills - 0 posts
Indoor swimming pool in Balsicas Murcia? - 6 posts
Where to get Orbegozo spin drier spares - 0 posts
lawyers in murcia - 3 posts
buying in spain - 8 posts
hi - 4 posts
RESIDENCIA CERTIFICATE - 2 posts
Leaving Spain Overstayed Visa (2yr) Airport Trouble? - 0 posts
air source heat pumps / alternative heating... - 11 posts
Any owners from La Cala de Mijas be able to help? - 7 posts
kitchen, dining room furniture and bedroom furniture for sale- COSTA DEL SOL - 0 posts
We was brung up proper - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 7

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x