solicitor wants more money plus valia tax ??

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
08 Feb 2012 12:00 AM by lisa.faulds Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Hi ,i  sold a property 6 months ago , the solicitor witheld 990 euros to pay the  taxes saying he had over estimated and would refund the balance now he informs me i owe another 900 euros for plus valia tax, do i have to pay ??  what happens if  i dont ?  things are really tight at the moment the money from the property sale paid debits back here in the uk, so there is very little left....... any advice will be greatly appriciated.thanks

Like 0      
08 Feb 2012 8:29 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Plus Valia must be paid, I think, within 30 days of the sale, so why 6 months to let you know how much it was? Ask for the receipt from the town hall, as presumably (hopefully) he paid this on your behalf way back. Maybe you also had to pay capital gains tax? Ask for a full breakdown (and justification) of the taxes and his fees.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
09 Feb 2012 3:35 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Plus Valia, 
                            is a tax on the increased value of the land upon which the dwelling is built (also applies to apartmentsas I believe a percentage).

It is a tax which the seller is legally obliged to pay, but it has been the practice for many years to get the buyer to agree to do so.

What can they do in Spain to recover the Debt ?

Well, even if the buyer has to pay, they can go to the court in UK and claim against your assets there. 

Sorry, do the right thing, pay up.

Like 0      
09 Feb 2012 10:10 AM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar

just as a note of caution....some areas are massively increasing the plus valia tax on sold property.

Torrevieja for example,i had a client recently that had to pay over 7,000€.

This can be checked during the sales process so no suprises arise after the fact.

In these times of austerity it is an easy tax for the ayuntamientos to claw back as their word is final,ask your solicitor to clarify this first if you are selling at the moment.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Legal assistant job opening - 0 posts
Heart attack and how to save your self, worth a read - 3 posts
Telefonica ADSL!! - 28 posts
Driving to Portugal via Seville - 9 posts
Which side on the Round-a-bouts? - 39 posts
hows the weather - 4 posts
Property Prices! - 62 posts
Another success for Costaluz, Maria and her team - 9 posts
Costaluz Lawyers, A great success in recovering our deposit using law 57/68 - 9 posts
How do I edit my thread? - 4 posts
Funeral Plans - 0 posts
Testimonial for Maria de Castro and the team at Costa Luz Lawyers - 4 posts
Gib. - 3 posts
driving to Spain from the UK - 16 posts
road tax advice - 5 posts
Legalisation Issies! - 5 posts
Typist Wanted - 0 posts
Have I really won the lottery? - 22 posts
Tax on Rental-Deductions - 8 posts
PROPERTY ADMINISTRATOR - 2 posts
Crisis?? - 0 posts
Earthquake - 3 posts
Mazarron apartment - 2 bed and 1 bath. - 1 posts
Working in the UK and having shares' dividends in Spain - 1 posts
Working in the UK, with share dividends in Spain - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 4

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x