not too cold, not too hot... any advice

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
28 Nov 2011 7:52 PM by rod Star rating in Uk and Spain. 469 posts Send private message

Look this thread could go on and on and i am sure that the person who asked the question is totally confused by now we all have our own valid opinions and are favourites but for the record its BILBAO

http://www.spainexpat.com/spain/information/weather_in_spain

Rod

This message was last edited by rod on 29/11/2011.

Like 0      
30 Nov 2011 1:51 PM by Acer Star rating. 1529 posts Send private message

Methinks one or two postings are tongue in cheek by people promoting their particular chosen patch, rather than answering the question .

Arguably I did also with the Mazarron area which is pretty good and likely to have added attractions in the next few years, but I have to say that imho the Canaries is the only real answer for a place that really is an all year round location for mild pleasant weather.  We've been a dozen times or so, mainly in the winter months and never yet been disappointed.

But the downside is that the islands are considerably more expensive in terms of living costs and property prices.  Furthermore the market seems to be permanently flooded with rental property and unless you've got the right property or location you might struggle to rent it out, if that was your intention.  The hotels in the main resorts seem to be really geared up for all year business and offer amazing package deals, which are a lot better value for money than renting a self catering flat or villa.

We've found the two main ones Gran Canaria & Tenerife to be very touristy and genuine Spanish culture is hard to find.  Lanzarote and the others are quieter and Fuerteventura certainly seems to live up to it's name with strong winds a lot of the time.   My personal preference would be the north of Tenerife which has a comparatively cooler climate than the south of the island - it invariably clouds over by midday throughout the year.  But you've got to be prepared for the higher costs and reduced chance of earning any rental income.  So possibly good as a retirement location but not for a long term investment.

Like 0      
30 Nov 2011 2:17 PM by PablodeRonda Star rating in Ronda (Málaga). 76 posts Send private message

Good post, Acer. I'm not keen on estate agents promoting their areas on here either...

I agree about the Canaries. North Tenerife would be my choice too, or La Gomera, which is lovely, albeit remote.

If it has to be the mainland, don't forget the Costa Tropical, though (the coast of Granada province), which I mentioned in a previous post. BTW, I've no vested interest in that area.

Like 0      
04 Dec 2011 1:22 PM by dustyjack Star rating in Near Gandia, Valenci.... 9 posts Send private message

Hi.

You might want to consider Valencia Community.  I am in La Font Den Carros, a couple of miles inland from the sea at Oliva and 20 minutes from beautiful (best I have seen in Spain) beaches at Gandia where there is a Railway Station.  We are equidistant between the Airports at Valencia and Alicante.  Town has all the facilities:  Bus Service, 6 Banks, 14 Bars, new Chinese restaurant.  The new rail-link will run all the way from Gandia to Alicante for the Airport.   My house is an old townhouse (about 100 years) built of stone.  I don't use hardly any heat in winter, just a radiator in the bedroom.  We have a woodburner in the living-room.  The house really keeps the heat but is still cool in Summer - its the stone walls that do it.  There is no shortage of wood as we are surrounded by millions of orange-trees.  Not many Brits here - there were about 30 I suppose but most have returned to the UK due to the crisis.  Though why they have done that I cannot understand.

House has 3 beds, 3 Baths, Biiiig very private Patio with a fig-tree and a Palm tree, a pond with fountain etc and two other quite big terraces.  It backs onto an orange-grove but is 40 yards walk to the nearest Bar.  Seems to be a bit longer coming back though. 8>) A Golden Oriole came and perched in the fig-tree a few months ago and there are kestrels flying around the Church steeple..  The neighbours are mostly older Spanish (and the nicest people I have met after living in four different locations over 18 years). The Postman delivers my Mail to me at the Central Bar in the Main Square at lunchtime.

The temp is cool in winter but not bad and we get the breezes from the coast in summer.  Its mostly jumpers and trousers in winter and shorts in summer.

House might be for sale if you were interested. Something like 135,000 Euros. Don't know if we want to move but we have thought about  it.

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Used car dealers - 1 posts
link-ele.com - 0 posts
Washing machine repair - 2 posts
The elections - 7 posts
rates/community charges but no licence - 3 posts
Reliable, active estate Agent in the Alhaurin de la Torre area - 0 posts
I PHONE 4 FOR SALE ON VODAFONE UK - 5 posts
VW Transporter Van For Sale in Los ALCAZAARES (murcia) ENGLISH PLATED - 0 posts
What's the matter with Spain? - 5 posts
Driving a Spanish car in UK? - 2 posts
end of season on costa blanca - 4 posts
Buying a Car in Spain...Beware - 24 posts
Does my mother have to pay capital gains tax ? - 4 posts
Friday Storms - 2 posts
Tips for a short break in Granada, please! - 2 posts
Income tax for non residents - 37 posts
TEACHING - 1 posts
La ALUMNIA - 0 posts
Oso y madrono - origins of Madrid city emblem/coat of arms/ statue - 1 posts
Brenda - property in calanova - 2 posts
bulding the internal walls in breeze blocks - 8 posts
Hotel Recommendation - 0 posts
2006 Nissan Micra 5 door. Low price for quick sale - 2 posts
bank - 10 posts
Bank guarantees - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 64

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x