Taxis

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
23 Sep 2011 12:00 AM by rod Star rating in Uk and Spain. 469 posts Send private message

I think this news is great for MARBELLA and its visitors another image improvement

http://www.surinenglish.com/20110923/news/costasol-malaga/marbella-taxis-must-have-201109231811.html

More Please

Rod

Like 0      
24 Sep 2011 12:44 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

I find it staggering that until now meters have not been used. Having to haggle over taxi fares puts places like Marbella on a similar level to Tangiers or Delhi in a tourist's mind.

I read somewhere else that the Marbella taxis were grumbling (again) about illegal taxis, saying among other things that the illegals present a poor image of the town. Oh really? And over-charging, bad manners and appalling driving standards don't? These idiots need to get a grip. Even the private hire licensed chauffeur driven vehicles can work out cheaper, and accept short trips without cursing. If these taxi drivers are worried about image, they should take a look closer to home first.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
24 Sep 2011 9:01 PM by westport Star rating in London & Co.Mayo Ire.... 509 posts Send private message

Having meters in the taxis won't make a bit of difference. The taxi drivers in Spain are basically highway robbers.It's a disgrace what they charge and get away with. Our complex is just inside the Fuengirola zone bordering the Benalmadena zone. To access our complex from Fuengirola central, you have to go past our turning about 100 metres to a roundabout to come back on yourself to turn into our road, as there is a no left turn. The roundabout is in the Benalmadena zone. The drivers charge extra because of this, even though your apartment is within the Fuengirola zone. They also charge extra on top of the fare to drive up the hill as our road is under repair. On a number of occassions I have got taxis in the evening from Los Boliches, which is no more than a 7 minute journey, and always get charged about 14 euros.  I have been a London black taxi driver for over 15 years. Even on the highest tariff which is after midnight, the equivilant in a London taxi would be 8 - 9 pounds. We have far higher overheads than Spanish taxis, diesel costs more, insurance more, tax disc more, repairs more, MOT thousands more and a new taxi £42,000 ( € 48,000 ), probably atleast double for what they pay for a vehicle. On top of that we have to study for 4 years to memorise 25,000 streets and 75,000 buildings. Which is why we are recognised as the best in the world. This lot are just a bunch of cowboys looking to rip off any tourist they can. They are so stupid they don't even see the damage it is doing to their tourism, and then they have the cheek to go crying to the local government about ex pats offering a cheaper service. Maybe they now might open their eyes, though I doubt it. I encourage you to use any other form of transport.

Like 0      
24 Sep 2011 9:57 PM by rod Star rating in Uk and Spain. 469 posts Send private message

Westport
I travel to London on business perhaps a dozen times a year and the London cabbie is the best in the world no doubt they help to make London the best city in the world personally when I visit Spain I always hire a car but any regulation is good I guess in what I call the Wild West

The buses I have been told are pretty good and my wife and I used the fuengirola train which works but stops at about twenty stops between the airport and fuengi

Spain is still a great place with all it's faults

Can't wait to visit again soon

Rod

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

the Rowleys - 3 posts
List for transponders please - 4 posts
Looking for a good local book keeper. - 3 posts
Thought 5 months was a holiday?? - 11 posts
usa visa - 0 posts
Wanted Dining Room Table & 4 Chairs - 1 posts
Sue Spanish Builder/Bank in UK? - 13 posts
Anyone in Marbella do me a favour? - 2 posts
Things you need to known about your Cell Phone - 3 posts
Looking to buy Property in Malaga, Spain - 6 posts
Moving to Spain - 6 posts
I received letter from Agencia Tributaria saying I have a fine - but for what? - 14 posts
Land sitter/land wanted for rent for campervan. - 2 posts
Getting your deposit back? Tenant rights - 3 posts
Campsite work - 1 posts
Is this the bottom of the market - 1 posts
amplifier for satellite dish - 1 posts
Driving down to El Faro Mijas first time. - 10 posts
Couple from Barnsley S.Yorks - 3 posts
TOMTOM TRUCK SATNAV IDEAL FOR CARAVAN AND CAMPER VANS - 0 posts
Internet in la zenia - 2 posts
Place selling wine near Aspe - 3 posts
Patrimonio - 8 posts
reconnecting a phone line for internet service. - 12 posts
help with deferred UK pension - 6 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 4

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x