monthly living

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
15 Jul 2011 1:27 PM by paddy121 Star rating. 35 posts Send private message

Hi Toddie I am not in Spain at the moment Having a lovely holiday in the Caucasus  Beautiful views and the people are great Bought a house here really cheap Back to Spain in Oct.

This message was last edited by paddy121 on 15/07/2011.

Like 0      
15 Jul 2011 1:41 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

We live on the Costa del Sol, and rent (500 euros per month), utlities and food come to around 1000 euros per month.  I doubt we could do that any cheaper.  Moving inland would maybe be 100-200 euros per month cheaper due to cheaper rents.

Read my blog: Spain Money Saving Tips and Offers 

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 0      
15 Jul 2011 1:42 PM by campana Star rating in Marbella. 474 posts Send private message

campana´s avatar

Toddie:

Dear me!  I did not say that.   I said (in reply to Jon):  

" I can assure you we live judiciously (LOL) but we certainly don't scrimp or "just get by".  There is of course a difference between "living" and "existing". 

I made no allusion to anyone.  And I repeat, again, it all depends on where yu live in the country.

I see no sign of any "slanging match" as you call it.

I am just telling you how much it more or less costs for us to live, and I repeat again we do live judiciously.  I can't tell you it only costs us 650€ a month to live, because that would be a lie.  I am sure were 50 people to come on here to give a figure, we would probably get differences in costs.

Best to everyone

Patricia

Like 0      
15 Jul 2011 1:58 PM by Jon07 Star rating in Sydney. 84 posts Send private message

Hi Patricia,

I certainly could not detect anything inappropriate in your comments !

You mention 2300 Euro to live comfortably in Costa del Sol. Thats also my 'back of envelope" estimate (i.e. a couple excluding holidays & owning property).

Keen to hear from any other people living in that region.

Thanks,

Jon

Like 0      
15 Jul 2011 2:01 PM by campana Star rating in Marbella. 474 posts Send private message

campana´s avatar

Thank YOU, Jon.  Whew!

Patricia

Like 0      
15 Jul 2011 2:39 PM by campana Star rating in Marbella. 474 posts Send private message

campana´s avatar

I say, Piltonian!  Now that sounds like JUST the place for me.

Me being such a retiring and obedient soul.  LOL.

Patricia

Like 0      
15 Jul 2011 2:49 PM by Toddie Star rating in Nr Elche Alicante Hu.... 107 posts Send private message

Just wondering why there is such a big difference in general living costs between the two Costa's. We are in the process of selling the family holiday home on the coast and were thinking of CDS to be closer to Sierra Nevada, but it sounds as if it's not such a good idea if the basic living costs are so dramatically different.  Does anyone have any costing's on Costa Brava area ?

We are looking for something in easy driving distance to ski areas for the grandchildren to enjoy, and maybe a bit of rental income to help increase our pension pot for the future.

Like 0      
15 Jul 2011 3:26 PM by paddy121 Star rating. 35 posts Send private message

The Costa Brava is particularly attractive because

• Summer heat is less intense than further south,
  • Scenery is spectacular,
  • There are beautiful well-preserved mediaeval towns like Pals and Peratallada everywhere,
  • Catalonia is well run with good roads and railways
  • The A7 motorway is never more than a few minutes drive and connects to the French network
  • Barcelona is easily accessible
  • Golf courses are numerous and of the highest standard all year round
  • In winter, there is good skiing in the nearby Pyrenees
  • There are cheap flights to Girona/Costa Brave airport and to Barcelona and Perpignan.
  • Eating out is inexpensive and a real pleasure
  • The cost of living generally is reasonable.
That is an impressive catalogue of benefits. Add that attractive property is still fairly freely available and competitively priced and you will quickly understand the popularity of the region.
Many different nationalities settle here, but unlike further south they are all intermingled, with no "English" estates or "German" estates. The whole atmosphere is much more cosmopolitan. That does not suit everybody.
Before buying anything, do visit the area in and out of season. Resorts that are a buzz in summer often die completely in the winter. To most Catalonians, the Costa Brava is where they go for their summer holidays; they don't live there, and they don't even visit at week-ends out of season. If you are buying just for summer rentals and/or your own summer holidays, that does not matter, but if you are thinking of permanent residence, it is a critical factor. Never assume that you may be able to rent your property in winter Hope this helps

Like 0      
15 Jul 2011 3:34 PM by Toddie Star rating in Nr Elche Alicante Hu.... 107 posts Send private message

Thanks Paddy that is certainly food for thought.  Our first taste of Spain was in the Costa Brava back in the early 90's, remember visiting some very good bodega's back then,  ahhh  nice memories. Think we may do a little investigation trip when this heat dies down in September.  Thanks again.

Like 0      
15 Jul 2011 3:48 PM by paddy121 Star rating. 35 posts Send private message

Hi Toddie went to see this the other night With some Israeli friends spectacular

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkAagtjyDaM&feature=related

Like 0      
15 Jul 2011 3:56 PM by paddy121 Star rating. 35 posts Send private message

And just to keep up the Irish side

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZCjgPIvBU8&feature=related

Like 0      
15 Jul 2011 4:16 PM by guslopez Star rating in Lorca, Murcia.. 745 posts Send private message

elect.     70€

water     18€

Irr. water 3,85 €

int/ phone.  35€

wood 20€

gas bottles15€

car insurance  45€

car tax  14€

house ins.  15€

IBI ( council tax ) 1,5 €      Yes , 16€ a year. Yes Paddy that's 20% of yours  ! lol.

m/phones 10€

total 247,35€

that leaves food around 200 €,  tobacco 20€, diesel . Well that depends on me . Varies from 60€ -   200€ +

Mines 3000m2, 4bed 2bath , pool,  just outside town .We don't drink & aren't in a Brit area so there's not a lot to do.

Todos somos Lorca.

Like 0      
15 Jul 2011 4:32 PM by paddy121 Star rating. 35 posts Send private message

Hi gus lopez

See i said its possible And to reward your efforts

Here are some Irish Coleens singing Spanish lady

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHOyPLSVam4

Like 0      
15 Jul 2011 4:38 PM by Bigwilly Star rating in Spain of course. 118 posts Send private message

Rent 1400 euros a month.

Electricity 200 euros a month on average (aircon summer, heater winter)

Water 30 give or take

Internet 80 for two connections

3 cars, 1200 for insurance a year give or take

100 repairs a month on average.

fuel 200 a month

car taxes/itv 400 a year give or take

food /household 200 a week give or take

dog cost 300 in last 2 weeks

clothes 20 a month to 400 a month. (more towards the 20/60)

health insurance for 2 people 6000 euros a year

mobile phone 200 euros a month give or take, 150 normally

cigarettes / alcahol / chocolate 120euros a month

eating out / bars 200 euros a month give or take, sometimes nothing

Like 0      
15 Jul 2011 5:01 PM by paddy121 Star rating. 35 posts Send private message

Just practicing how to embed video lo siento /pardona

Like 0      
15 Jul 2011 5:16 PM by paddy121 Star rating. 35 posts Send private message

Hi Bigwilly Just curious as to why you choose to rent

Like 0      
15 Jul 2011 5:30 PM by Bigwilly Star rating in Spain of course. 118 posts Send private message

many reasons.

I was going to buy a house in Sotogrande in 2007 for 1.4million euros (which was good value at the time)

i didnt

7 months later they phoned up and offered me it for 600k cash (the recession hit hard)

which meant i would have been paying a mortgage in negative equity immediatly and nobody saw the recession coming or i didnt anway.

in 2009 i got sick of spain and was going to live in france but met a girl just before i left so i stayed.

i see houses that are only 10 years old in spain looking like they need knocked down they are so run down.

its very rare to hear good news regarding property in spain.

and i am not sure where i want to live yet.

so renting is bad because its dead money but allows me to move every 11 months and have a change of scenery and keep flexibilty to move to wherever i want in the future.

This message was last edited by Bigwilly on 15/07/2011.

Like 0      
15 Jul 2011 6:57 PM by paddy121 Star rating. 35 posts Send private message

Good reasons .All the best with your new relationship

Like 0      
16 Jul 2011 11:12 AM by Jon07 Star rating in Sydney. 84 posts Send private message

Perhaps, I could run a little off topic re the following:

1) When might be the best time to buy property in Costa del Sol & when is the market likely to bottom ??

2) Some informed people have suggested summers are unbearable in Costa del Sol. How unbearable - is it comfortable walking  up to say 11 am & after 5 pm ?

Appreciate any feedback,

Jon

Like 0      
16 Jul 2011 1:08 PM by Bigwilly Star rating in Spain of course. 118 posts Send private message

1. if you are english and earn money in pounds the best time is when the exchange rates are most favourable to you.

simple as that.

2. unbearable? i wouldnt say that.

it does get a bit hot but by the coast its a lot cooler.

in the hills and campo you probably wouldnt want to go walking after 9am and 7pm in june, july, august, september.

by the coast you would be fine most of the day just rather warm

but only mad dogs and engishmen go out in the mid day sun.

if you dont have aircon it would be unbearable to live and sleep but most people do so its not a problem

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

WANTED - Video Recorder - 3 posts
WANTED - Unfurnished Mijas Costa - 0 posts
Chiropractor Fuengirola or Mijas Costa - 0 posts
handyman needed - 1 posts
illegal homes in Spain 5 - 0 posts
Looking forward to Summer hols :-) - 4 posts
Poor Website Spelling Cut Sales by Half - 13 posts
motability scooter - 3 posts
Do I need a residencia or will a padron/nie be enough? - 16 posts
Driving to spain - 3 posts
What Makes You Think Of Spain - 24 posts
Water Leak - Undetected - 2 posts
Mary-Anne Goosens: Am I Being Cynical? - 2 posts
Dogs saved from drowning - 0 posts
Time for property agents to earn their commissions. - 2 posts
sick of england - 117 posts
selling our restaurant - 0 posts
not wanting to pay commisions - 4 posts
Selling Opportunities - 0 posts
property - 1 posts
NEED A GOOD RENTAL AGENT IN MIJAS COSTA - 6 posts
Algorfa,Costa Blanca School - 0 posts
holiday in malaga august 2011 - 2 posts
Starting new business selling/installing IP Security Cameras in Malaga Area - 10 posts
illegal homes in spain 4 - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 45

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x