monthly living

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
14 Jul 2011 12:00 AM by paddy121 Star rating. 35 posts Send private message

I find it easy to survive on 650 euro a month in spain .Why does this surprise people

Like 0      
14 Jul 2011 10:49 PM by campana Star rating in Marbella. 474 posts Send private message

campana´s avatar

Paddy:

I think it depends where you live.  We are just two people, and there is no way on earth we could live on 650 euro a month.  We are not given to wild living, or over-expenditure, either. 

Patricia

Like 0      
15 Jul 2011 1:13 AM by paddy121 Star rating. 35 posts Send private message

i now lots of people that get by on the same amount .The average Spanish income is 1000 per month

Like 0      
15 Jul 2011 2:58 AM by Jon07 Star rating in Sydney. 84 posts Send private message

Well done !

How do you manage it ?

Jon

Like 0      
15 Jul 2011 9:05 AM by Piltonian Star rating in Madrid. 36 posts Send private message

This thread reminds me a bit of Lord Gowrie stating that he had resigned from the Cabinet because, "no one can live in London on fifty thousand a year". (Which would be more like 120k nowadays). There are many different reference points for what is practical as a standard of living.

Trainees in the office where I work live in Madrid are on EUR12k p.a. - so 1k a month *pre* tax, with the higher costs that go with living in a capital city. When I was a student, even accounting for inflation, I survived on far less than that, but I know that now, having become accustomed to living in a certain way, I'd find it a tough challenge if someone asked me to show a budget for living on that amount here.

Like 0      
15 Jul 2011 9:41 AM by Toddie Star rating in Nr Elche Alicante Hu.... 107 posts Send private message

| think the clear message here is it depends on which area you live in.  For Patricia living in Marbella a 1,000,00 per month would be difficult,  therefore it would seem that the cost of living in the Costa del Sol is more expensive than Southern Costa Blanca, the North of Costa Blanca can be a bit more expensive too !!   When relocating it is alway wise to research an area first, the cost of living being top of most peoples list.  We along with many of our neighbours and friends live very well on 1,000,00 euros per month, however we do not have community fees to pay which can add up to another 1,000,00 euros a year.

Like 0      
15 Jul 2011 10:05 AM by paddy121 Star rating. 35 posts Send private message

My utility bills elec is 50 euro /water 20 euro /groceries 260 euro(5 pork chops in Dia 2 euro)=320

That leaves330 for everyday living

Its tight but i can manage

Like 0      
15 Jul 2011 10:11 AM by paddy121 Star rating. 35 posts Send private message

By the way i know British State Pensioners that live on less than 500 here .

Like 0      
15 Jul 2011 10:12 AM by Jon07 Star rating in Sydney. 84 posts Send private message

That is very interesting feedback. It would certainly be helpful to  see a breakdown on basis of 1000 Euro per month ?

Other people on Forum have previously suggested a "comfortable" life style (not over the top) in Costa del Sol would cost 2000 - 2500 Euro per month on basis of owning their property & excluding holidays !!

Jon

Like 0      
15 Jul 2011 10:20 AM by paddy121 Star rating. 35 posts Send private message

And if you like to inbibe (pissheads) alcohol especially wine is dirt cheap

Like 0      
15 Jul 2011 11:42 AM by roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

roberto´s avatar
"I find it easy to survive on 650 euro a month in spain .Why does this surprise people"

Because for the vast majority of people it is simply unrealstic, and since this thread sprung out of the other really dumbassed one that's going so well (it's silly season on the forums), it's a little unfair to give small-brained idiots the impression that it's easy to live on fresh air and sunshine alone.
Your simplistic calculation is ridiculous. You allow yourself 320 euros a month to pay either rent, or if you own your own property, rates, insurance, community fees if any, maintenance (yes, things break evn here in paradise), not to mention your internet connetion, mobile phone (even the simplest campesino can't live without one nowadays) and if you do in fact live in the remote wilderness and survive by growing your own food, you almost cetainly have a car or moped, or at the very least a donkey which needs feeding.
Having said all that, I do think it's quite possible for a couple owning their own home to cover all necessary expenses on 1000 euros a month.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
15 Jul 2011 11:42 AM by Toddie Star rating in Nr Elche Alicante Hu.... 107 posts Send private message

Hi Jon.  We have a good sized detached house on a 2 acre plot in the Elche area, Alicante province, Southern Costa Blanca, about twenty minutes from the coast. We do grow our own fruit and nuts and swop various produce with neighbours. Neither of us smoke but we do enjoy going to the local spanish bar's for a tipple a couple of evenings a week. A decent menu del dia plus wine or beer can be had for 8 euros. We could spend 2,000,00 a month but choose not to, whats the point when we can live perfectly well on 1,000,00 euros.

Electric average 70.00 per month

Water  60 euros a quarter

Gas 2 botlles a month  28.00 euros

Telephone and internet  30 euros a month

TV   free

150.00 per month annual bills  ie  house insurance, car insurance and service, suma bills etc etc

700.00 euros food and general living expenses

On the other hand we have family members that live on the coast in apartments and town houses, they have extra cost's such as community fee's, they also tend to pay slightly higher prices for eating out and fresh produce especially during the tourist season. On average this add's about another 200.00 euros a month to their living costs !

Like 0      
15 Jul 2011 12:20 PM by paddy121 Star rating. 35 posts Send private message

Yes i do own my own property and my suma(rates are 80 euro per year)Thats it no other charge If you live on the coast and pay community charge and stuff it will probaely be a lot more 

Like 0      
15 Jul 2011 12:21 PM by Jon07 Star rating in Sydney. 84 posts Send private message

Hi Toddie,

Many thanks for the interesting breakdown - you appear to manage your affairs judiciously.

Keen to hear from anyone living on Costa del Sol since I was under impression (rightly or wrongly) that it would take >2000 Euro per month to live comfortably there (i.e. owning property & excluding holidays) ???

Cheers,

Jon

Like 0      
15 Jul 2011 12:35 PM by campana Star rating in Marbella. 474 posts Send private message

campana´s avatar

In reply to your last post, Jon, I live on the CdelS.   The figure given to you by a poster on another thread was much closer to the mark.  I think he mentioned €2.300 per month.  I can assure you we live judiciously (LOL) but we certainly don't scrimp or "just get by".  There is of course a difference between "living" and "existing". 

When I was a student, sure, I got by, but that was back then. And also students tend to share accommodation, so there is no comparison.

Patricia

Like 0      
15 Jul 2011 12:38 PM by paddy121 Star rating. 35 posts Send private message

Hi Jon There are lots of factors to take into account If you have kids it adds a lot to your budget Try and break it down to daily expences I am here now 7 years My army pension is a lot more than 650 but that is what i spend Good luck to you 

Like 0      
15 Jul 2011 12:53 PM by Piltonian Star rating in Madrid. 36 posts Send private message

In a spirit of making helpful and constructuve suggestions, I can exclusively share a means by which you can reduce your monthly outgoings to zero.

http://www.minsterabbeynuns.org/monastic-vocation.html

Like 0      
15 Jul 2011 12:53 PM by Toddie Star rating in Nr Elche Alicante Hu.... 107 posts Send private message

Patricia I find your remarks about those living on a lower budget than yourself as scrimping or "just getting by" a bit rude. My wife and I certainly have a very nice way of life.  How much extra does to actually cost to live in Costa del Sol, are you just paying for where you are ?

Like 0      
15 Jul 2011 1:02 PM by paddy121 Star rating. 35 posts Send private message

Hello Toddie Your the man you seem like a nice down to earth chap

Wish everyone was like you here

Like 0      
15 Jul 2011 1:17 PM by Toddie Star rating in Nr Elche Alicante Hu.... 107 posts Send private message

I just wonder why nearly every forum turns into a slanging match !!  I try to give honest answers and advice to the best of my knowledge and experiences but there is always someone that would rather put you down !!   It seems as if there is a big difference from region to region in living cost's over here. I would be very intrested to know why Costa del Sol is twice as expensive for general living cost's than the Costa Blanca. Or is it purely just down to life style ? 

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

WANTED - Video Recorder - 3 posts
WANTED - Unfurnished Mijas Costa - 0 posts
Chiropractor Fuengirola or Mijas Costa - 0 posts
handyman needed - 1 posts
illegal homes in Spain 5 - 0 posts
Looking forward to Summer hols :-) - 4 posts
Poor Website Spelling Cut Sales by Half - 13 posts
motability scooter - 3 posts
Do I need a residencia or will a padron/nie be enough? - 16 posts
Driving to spain - 3 posts
What Makes You Think Of Spain - 24 posts
Water Leak - Undetected - 2 posts
Mary-Anne Goosens: Am I Being Cynical? - 2 posts
Dogs saved from drowning - 0 posts
Time for property agents to earn their commissions. - 2 posts
sick of england - 117 posts
selling our restaurant - 0 posts
not wanting to pay commisions - 4 posts
Selling Opportunities - 0 posts
property - 1 posts
NEED A GOOD RENTAL AGENT IN MIJAS COSTA - 6 posts
Algorfa,Costa Blanca School - 0 posts
holiday in malaga august 2011 - 2 posts
Starting new business selling/installing IP Security Cameras in Malaga Area - 10 posts
illegal homes in spain 4 - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 45

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x