Time for property agents to earn their commissions.

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
13 Jul 2011 12:00 AM by El alamillo Star rating in Nottingham & El Alam.... 221 posts Send private message

Property Estate Agents not helping with the sale of properties in Spain.
Would somebody explain why property agents charge so much in commission for doing almost nothing in promoting sales?
I returned yesterday after a short break to my home in Spain. (Yes I am happy still with my last 10 years as a non resident property owner) no intention in selling.
I was talking with one of my neighbours who has had his property on the market for the last Two and a half years with no takers. Dropping his asking price more than once.
The 3 Agents who have the property on there books, all would require a payment of €25.000 in commission if they found a prospective purchaser.
I asked my neighbour what they had done for him. He said nothing really apart for a picture in the window of their agency or in the odd property magazine.
Unlike UK your property is valued in Spain you set the asking price and the agent adds his bit thus sometimes the asking price becomes unrealistic.
My neighbour is only now asking €20.000 over what he paid 8 years ago.
Properties have sold albeit 5 years ago for €150.000 over the purchase price.

Me thinks that it is time for agents to do their bit and earn their commissions.

JB

Like 0      
14 Jul 2011 8:13 PM by sandybeach Star rating. 9 posts Send private message

The answer lies in your question - 3 agents selling the property. None of them think they have much chance of selling so won't spend on marketing. In the uk an agent usually has an exclusive and knows they will likely sell it at some stage and can devote a percentage of the commission up front

Like 0      
14 Jul 2011 8:24 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

"in Spain you set the asking price and the agent adds his bit thus sometimes the asking price becomes unrealistic". Well, that's up to the seller really. If you feel the asking price is unrealistic, then you can tell the agent what asking price you want it to be offered at, and tell him to take his commission out of that. Of course, if you want the buyer to effectively pay the commission, then you have to accept that the asking price may very well be unrealistic.

I can't comment on your neighbour's specific case without knowing exact the details of course, but based on the figures you mention, I'm thinking that if someone bought a property in 2003 for €480,000 and are now hoping to attract buyers at €500,000........I'm not really surprised the agents don't want to waste time & money marketing it.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

sick of england - 117 posts
selling our restaurant - 0 posts
not wanting to pay commisions - 4 posts
Selling Opportunities - 0 posts
property - 1 posts
NEED A GOOD RENTAL AGENT IN MIJAS COSTA - 6 posts
Algorfa,Costa Blanca School - 0 posts
holiday in malaga august 2011 - 2 posts
Starting new business selling/installing IP Security Cameras in Malaga Area - 10 posts
illegal homes in spain 4 - 0 posts
EX16 now EX19 Fee increases - 0 posts
Andalucia, Increases in water charges. - 0 posts
Problems with SKY+ - 4 posts
HiFX to charge - 17 posts
Objection to AGM Minutes - 3 posts
Cheap 7 Seater for sale in Murcia - No more car rental - 0 posts
COURT CASE VICTORY - 11 posts
restaurants estepona - 2 posts
Vodaphone doesn't accept the NIE for smartphone? - 3 posts
The Latest on Paramount - 0 posts
Bull running in Calaspara. - 0 posts
Anyone Living Around Benahavis or in Los Arqueros, La Quinta etc Resorts ?? - 3 posts
Insurance for UK property when in Spain - 9 posts
thinking of moving!! - 0 posts
La Siesta, Denia - insolvent developer and bank! - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 3

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x