Income tax in Spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
11 Jun 2011 12:00 AM by jscpc Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Does anyone fully understand the Spanish Income tax system?I have given all of the necessary details to a local Gestor and she has presented me with forms to take to the bank in order to pay our tax. However, I think the tax is very high compared to both the UK and to France, where we lived for the past eight years. When I questioned the Gestor as to how the tax is calculated her response was, basically, "I enter your information into the computer and it tells me what your payment should be .I don't have to understand it!' 

I understand the various income bands which have different percentage taxation levels but, for the life of me, I cannot work out how the allowances are determined as, whatever calculation I use based on available information, I simply cannot come up with any answer remotely near to what the Gestor's computer tells her! I am 71 and have an allowance for that and I am married and I believe my wife also has an allowance and I assume I add those together and then deduct those allowances off our total income and then use the percentage factor but it simply doesn't match anything like what the Gestor has informed us. Is there anyone out there who understands how the tax they are paying is actually calculated? I would be very grateful for any help.

Like 0      
12 Jun 2011 10:26 AM by JohnKath Star rating. 157 posts Send private message

I do not pretend to understand the Spanish Tax system but I do undestand that the combination allowance for two people taxed together is NOT twice the single allowance.  For instance single 7000 combined  say 10500 but to each you would add the earned income allowance (pension is regarded as earned income). There is another thread just started in the General section on this very topic so do have a look round the Forum for all info on tax.

Like 0      
12 Jun 2011 11:35 AM by jscpc Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Thanks for that. I do understand that my wife's allowance is not the same as mine. From memory (poor) mine is about 6004€ and my wife something like 3400€ so it's those which are added. To give a rough example, if income is say 30,000€ the allowance deducted would be 9404€ which leaves 20596€ with a tax band of say 28% leaves 5766€ to pay. Seems an awful lot to pay!

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Desperate developer or just creative? - 3 posts
CAR RENTAL EXCESS INSURANCE CHARGES - 6 posts
BREAD FLOUR - 7 posts
Voting and Democracy at Community Meetings - 21 posts
Obtaining a Spanish birth certificate - 10 posts
Another Win For Costaluz Lawyers - 5 posts
Lazy Z Spa hot tub - 2 posts
SEGWAY FOR HIRE - 0 posts
WHERE TO PAY TAXES - 10 posts
Reposession by Cambank - 12 posts
U.K. in Spain - 4 posts
spanish personal tax allowances - 8 posts
How do I contact Ryanair? - 23 posts
buying a car with outstanding taxes and an embargo - 2 posts
Selling a property - 0 posts
Spain Local Guide Marketplace - 0 posts
Death certificate help - 1 posts
Wireless Speaker adaptor for Desktop PC - 0 posts
Illegal Rentals - 6 posts
Setting up a business in Spain / Importing into Spain - 2 posts
The EU - PROTECTING THE RIGHT TO PROPERTY - SEMINAR - 61 posts
French Classic Clock - 4 posts
WINDOW CLEANER - 0 posts
Telefonica 6MB - how to get it? - 4 posts
ADVICE NEEDED TO CHANGE INTERNET PROVIDER - 7 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 3

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x