iPlayer in Spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
01 Jun 2011 12:00 AM by kenny g Star rating in Calahonda. 41 posts Send private message

Hi There,

Here's one for the computer buffs out there.

How do I get iplayer and similar UK tv players to play in Spain?

I've heard of programs that enable you to change your Spanish ip address to a suitable UK ip address. Does anyone have experience of these programs, and which one would you recommend?

Ta

Like 0      
01 Jun 2011 9:17 PM by JamieJ Star rating in Manchester. 4 posts Send private message

Look on page 3 at tv on internet. Hope this helps

This message was last edited by JamieJ on 01/06/2011.

Like 0      
01 Jun 2011 9:54 PM by Deputy Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Google for  ' Expat Shield '

Download and install.

You can then watch any of the  iPlayers.

Like 0      
01 Jun 2011 11:47 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

This service may be of interest too.  It's what I use.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
02 Jun 2011 9:47 AM by kenny g Star rating in Calahonda. 41 posts Send private message

Thanks for the replies guys,

Justin, Im a bit wary of your suggestion since reading your blog. I'm not too good with the computing stuff so might end up stuffing the whole thing up.

Does expat shield work? Has anyone actually tried it out? It seems too good to be free........

Sorry Jamy, can't find the page you suggested.

Ta

Like 0      
02 Jun 2011 10:55 AM by claire T Star rating in Torremendo, Orihuela. 688 posts Send private message

EOS Supporter

Hi - I use Expat Shield after it was recommended here.  I find it a bit difficult to start up sometimes but last time I used it to watch The Apprentice it worked a treat.

Good luck!

Like 0      
02 Jun 2011 11:34 AM by mobailey Star rating in San Cayetano. 461 posts Send private message

mobailey´s avatar

hi 

we use EXPAT shield for watching iplayer and sometimes we find we get quicker webpage response for other pages when EXPAT shield is turned on 

We watched Dr Who last night with no problems

Mo&Bryan www.bryansblinds.com &  www.discovercostacalida.info Why not see if can we help  

Like 0      
02 Jun 2011 11:44 AM by kathyandbob Star rating. 294 posts Send private message

We too use EXPAT shield, it can "stream" a bit so I prefer to download the programs a few days after they have been aired & then watch them without any probs.

Like 0      
02 Jun 2011 1:31 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

I wasn't keen on Expat Shield as it seems to have all sorts of processes running.  Probably harmless, but I just didn't trust it.  I prefer to pay for a VPN.

Read my blog: Spain Money Saving Tips and Offers 

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 0      
02 Jun 2011 1:40 PM by marcbernard Star rating in Marina Alta; Alicant.... 254 posts Send private message

I also use Expatshield. It is prone to switch itself off from time to time but is very easily reconnected. I sometimes get the "UK Only" message even after switching on, but reentry solves it. I wonder if some of the proxies used are themselves not UK based, as the backing is, I believe, from the US.

Another member of my family uses TVProxy at some €7 per month, and this seems to work fine too.

Like 0      
02 Jun 2011 4:41 PM by fpegman Star rating in San Miguel De Salina.... 441 posts Send private message

fpegman´s avatar

try www.torresat.tv its free

Fred

Overseas Property Company

fred@overseaspropertycompany.com

Real Estate sales - rentals and Lloyds insurance agency.

Like 0      
02 Jun 2011 4:55 PM by prosky Star rating in Costa del Sol. 13 posts Send private message

prosky´s avatar
Hi kenny. Expat-shield works fine, I have informed many of my clients, Its free because they advertise on the pages, Some people experience problems but usually its down to their PC. Or you can pay. I prefer a free service, Even though I don't normally use it. If you have problems your welcome to PM me. Regards, Carl.

Like 0      
02 Jun 2011 6:45 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

For those with holiday homes here in Spain, who want to be able to watch TV from "home", this may be of interest: Sling Box

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
02 Jun 2011 7:50 PM by yb Star rating. 13 posts Send private message

I've always used vpnuk.net, very reliable, fast and full VPN solution with good instructions on how to setup.

( they also provide services for other countries e.g. USA)

Like 0      
02 Jun 2011 9:53 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar
I use vpngates.com - less than €10 a month and excellent customer service if you have a problem (although only ever had one problem in the last three years!).

Like 0      
04 Jun 2011 11:28 AM by kenny g Star rating in Calahonda. 41 posts Send private message

Many thanks to everyone for their help.

I've installed expat shield on my old laptop just in case it screwed anything up on my desktop. It took a couple of attempts to get it to work correctly, but it seems to be fine now.

I agree that it does seem to have strange things running in the background at times, but so far so good. It's not a thing I'll use all the time, so for occasional use it will do ok I hope! 

Thanks again

K

Like 0      
08 Jun 2011 2:31 AM by Danny D Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Hi Kenny,

I've been using Foxy Proxy for over a year and it's been fantastic for iPlayer. I've even used it to watch the ice hockey world championship finals on Czech TV. Live! And it's completely free. You just need Firefox.

It took some working out but there are plenty of straightforward explanations online. Just google "foxy proxy iplayer spain" for a whole pile of useful threads.

Hope this is of some use to someone!

Like 0      
08 Jun 2011 1:31 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

I used to use Foxy Proxy too but I used to spend ages sometimes trying to find an available proxy to use and in the end would just give up.

I stopped using it when I could get a proxy in time to stream the F1 race live last year.  That killed it for me straight away!

But yes, it's definitely an option and it works well a lot of the time.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
01 Feb 2012 2:25 AM by ray38 Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

I was using expat sheild but half the channels stopped working, the only VPN I managed to find that worked with TV Catchup was Anglo VPN  (anglovpn_com)  can watch most of the freeview uk tv channels live now, seems to stream pretty nicely, might give the idea of a dish a miss, not sure what size is needed for del sol area.

Like 0      
16 Mar 2012 3:22 PM by brian69 Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Hiya, I was living in Spain for few months last year, and managed to watch UK TV shows on my PC with one of those VPN thingys, I used   laptoptellycom   seem to do the trick, theres plenty of different ones out there now by the looks of it, are fine providing your connection is fast enough, got a Netflix account aswell now, never bored now!

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

moving to costa del sol - 6 posts
VISA scam - Please read. - 2 posts
TRANSLATERS - 2 posts
More Tenants From Hell - 0 posts
changes over the years - 5 posts
Non Resident Certificate 2 yearly payment - 3 posts
End of contract - 2 posts
Claiming social security - 2 posts
My Inheritance Nightmare! - 30 posts
Hola! - 2 posts
EX16 Form TIE Tarjeta de Identidad de Extranjero - 7 posts
A member of ours here, Tinasolera has been nominated for Coastrider Pride of Spain 2011. Vote for our Tina! - 2 posts
New Murcia Tram DSystem is Open - 1 posts
P.A.D. ANIMAL RESCUE - 0 posts
Thule Evolution 700 Car Roof Box - 0 posts
Thule Rapid System Car Roof Bars with Locks - 0 posts
Problem with delivery my order - 0 posts
holiday apartment not a house?? - 9 posts
statutes of horizontal law - 1 posts
24 HOURS LEFT: SIGN THE OPEN LETTER TO DAVID LIDINGTON - 9 posts
Minimums for tax - 9 posts
InSpain TV - 3 posts
How to complaining about Administrator and Presidents running of AGM - 2 posts
mire - 1 posts
Raleigh Tucana Mountain Bike for sale - 7 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 21

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x