Direct debit payments for Community fees

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
13 May 2011 12:00 AM by sp1946 Star rating in Playa Flamenca, Orih.... 28 posts Send private message

Can anyone explain to me how direct debits work. According to our Administrator a number of people paid Community fees by direct debit just prior to the AGM. They were allowed to vote as they weren't debtors but just after the AGM the direct debits were 'stopped' & the recently made payments were refunded! Can that be right? It sounds crazy!

Like 0      
13 May 2011 1:25 PM by sneezey Star rating. 64 posts Send private message

sneezey´s avatar

In Spanish banks if a payment is taken from your account, even a direct debit, you have about 20-30 days to reclaim it, ie have it paid back in to your account. Then the company/person who wants the money would have to ask for the money again.

Like 0      
13 May 2011 7:55 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

The nerve of some people is amazing!

The retention period is the period during which the money has come out of your account but is held by the receiving bank before actually being paid into the creditor's account (in this case the community). This gives you the chance to cancel any erroneous or unauthorised payments (such as the duplicate payment of nearly 500 euros that Linea Directa just took from my account!!) and the period during which the greedy robbing banks are making money out of your money too of course. This practice caused major cash flow problems in our community, so we switched from Unicaja to Banco Popular, who do not have this retention period (but charge scandalous commissions instead!) Strictly speaking I suppose these community members would say since the funds have left their account (destined for the community account) they are fully paid up, but of course the funds were not cleared in the community account, so should they have been counted as paid? I really couldn't say. If they subsequently cancelled their payments, any vote they had made should be discounted too, but that's obviously easier said than done, especially if there was a secret ballot.

Incidentally, Linea Directa will not send out a receipt for your car insurance renewal paid by direct debit until the payment has cleared. This means you could potentailly be driving around with a renewed and paid for policy but no receipt as proof of payment, without which it is not valid, for up to 30 days. Sounds crazy? Yep.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
14 May 2011 12:26 PM by sp1946 Star rating in Playa Flamenca, Orih.... 28 posts Send private message

Thanks both for your help. I'm still a little confused about where the DD payment goes when it has left the payyee's bank. Is it held 'in limbo' pending a recall or is it credited to the account for which it is intended? Also, exactly how long is the time allowed for recalling a payment? Is it a fixed time for all banks or can it vary depending on the bank?

Like 0      
14 May 2011 1:13 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Not sure, but I think the money is still in the payee's bank but in a suspense account (in limbo) because my bank were able to credit the duplicate payment to Linea Directa instantly. I think the payment would have showed up in LD's account as a credit but NOT CLEARED, i.e. they could not draw on it until the retention period has passed. LD themselves told me that by law the payee has 35 days to cancel the payment. I think it used to be 15 days. Not sure how Banco Popular work though because they do not seem to place any retention period on community fees received via DD. All a bit confusing...... 

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
14 May 2011 2:04 PM by sp1946 Star rating in Playa Flamenca, Orih.... 28 posts Send private message

Thanks, Roberto

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

No bank guarantee - La Caixa obliged to refund deposits. - 0 posts
Guardia at Manilva - 3 posts
car info - 4 posts
PROPERTY TAXES FOR NON RESIDENTS - 8 posts
ILLEGALLY HOUSES IN SPAIN - 0 posts
Joe Molloy - 1 posts
Grandfather Colcks in Spain - 1 posts
ILLEGALLY HOUSES IN SPAIN - 1 posts
A7-E15 that passes via Lorca en route to Murcia - 2 posts
HUELVA PROVINCE - NEW AIRPORT - 3 posts
Ferguson Ariva 100E Set Up - 8 posts
Earthquake near Lorca Murcia - 42 posts
Renault Scenic for sale - 0 posts
Transfer to another bank - 3 posts
(Spanish) Choirs in Almeria Province... - 0 posts
New Car hire company - 4 posts
Anyone know how to write a possessive pronoun in Spanish? - 15 posts
Apple iMac For sale - 3 posts
iberdrola in pilar horadada - 10 posts
Guitar for Sale - 1 posts
Barclay Capital's view of the Property Roadshow of the Spanish Ministry of Public Works - 0 posts
WHAT ARE THE FINES FOR NOT SUBMITTING TAX RETURN - 4 posts
Declaración de la renta - 1 posts
Looking for reputable TV man to install Spanish antenna in Calahonda area - 5 posts
Cost of prescriptions - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 6

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x