Runway heating

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
22 Dec 2010 12:00 AM by Donna773 Star rating in Guardamar, Costa Bla.... 19 posts Send private message

EOS Supporter

I've been looking at a report by an American University that heating airport runways could pay for itself in two years. Do any Eye on Spain readers know if this is feasible because the general consensus seems to be that underground heating would be too expensive? I've written a rant on my blog to express my own feelings but would love to know if the sort of heating mentioned really works. Grumpy Old Gran Donna

www.donnagee.blogspot.com

http://www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/donnagee.aspx

http://www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/donnagee2.aspx

http://www.grumpyoldgran.com

Like 0      
22 Dec 2010 7:37 PM by Karensun Star rating in Orihuela Costa. 1474 posts Send private message

Karensun´s avatar

I have no idea of the cost or feasability but I do know that East Midlands airport has under runway heating.

I was stuck in the UK a couple of weeks ago due to the Spanish air strike and when I eventually got a flight back and arrived at East Mids airport the temperature was MINUS 13.5......................and there was NO PROBLEMO with flights or with 'stuck' aircraft !

Now a non-smoker !  

Like 0      
23 Dec 2010 11:17 PM by JohnKath Star rating. 157 posts Send private message

I do know for certain that this system has been used in roads and bridges in UK. In particular a bridge on the main route into Bootle docks has heating in the bridge deck.

Like 0      
24 Dec 2010 12:43 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

I struggle to understand the problems. Many years go when I was in the RAF we had a runway de- icing team to keep the aircraft on operational readiness able to be deployed, plus all the training missions. The fuel tankers had a modified jet engine on the front operated by a ground crew member. The blower was then followed down by the spreading of urea as they cannot use salt and our runway never closed. Have we gone backwards?

Mark

Like 0      
24 Dec 2010 2:52 PM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

Mark; have we gone backward...in a word yes!

As one who used to reguarly operate one of the twin jet Sno-blo Blacktop clearance machines back in the 70's at Waddington most definitely we have gone back BUT its largely thanks to the Environmentalists. They create far more problems than they cure. They moan continuously about the emissions from Jet Engines at high altitudes and it is they who have successfully managed to ban the use of such machines at ground level.

Also there is the question of the de-icing chemicals used these days; the various water authorities dislike the run-off from the runways getting into the normal surface drainage and the underlying water table. There is also the point that the chemicals used are highly corrosive to aluminium and cause premature aging of airframe structures.

Whilst it is damaging to big corporation profits it is ultimately more cost-effective to just ground all aircraft movements and let nature take it's course with assistance from ploughs, scrapers and rotary brushes.

As for runway heating all very nice but unless you have a large store of geothermal energy to rely on the costs involved are astronomical. Think of the millions of gallons of hot water that would be needed and the consequent electricity bills

Numerous scientific studies have shown that the system has to be operational at least 5 days before any snowfall to overcome the thermal inertia of 3 feet of concrete. The installation of such a system would entail closing and ripping up runways and no airport authority is going to sanction that kind of expenditure. Given that in fact the runways are the least problem and the easiest to clear mechanically, there is still the question of the support taxiways, service roads, aircraft dispersals, parking stands, etc, etc.

Taking Gatwick as an example there is also the question of the transport infrastructure. The railways in the mid-Sussex area are just as badly affected and the trains stop running at the drop of a hat. The M23 / M25 are highly liable to closure in snow, so people cannot get into or away from the airport even if the airport itself had every snow clearance device known to man.

Karensun...East Midlands Airport does NOT have runway heating; they were just lucky that they weren't affected by the very heavy snowfalls experienced in other parts of the UK. They are however very environmentally aware...see this link

Prior to coming out here I worked at Bournemouth Airport for 15 years and in all that time I think we closed just twice and we were open again for business within 24 hours handling diverted traffic from all over the UK and Europe. Bournemouth did close for a while this winter due to the snow but again was reopened for business (such as it was given that the rest of Europe had ground to a standstill!) within a very short period of time under 12 hours as I recall.

No airports in the UK have runway heating and only a couple in the States are so equipped. The ones that are so equipped in the States are operational USAF bases that suffer long periods of snow every winter.

There is no environmentally friendly, cost effective solution. All costs would have to be passed onto the customers ultimately and given that the majority of homeowners / holiday-homeowners out here use airlines such as Ryanair and Easyjet because they provide a cheap form of transport, the impact of such costs would probably lead to those operators moving away from 'modified' airports to avoid paying  the higher charges; passing on the costs to the customer would make them no longer cost effective. However in moving away from say Stansted and Luton they would lose customers anyway so its a Catch-22.

Far easier and ultimately far more cost effective just to shut down operations and wait for the weather to change.

fb

http://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Like 0      
24 Dec 2010 3:01 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

As one who used to reguarly operate one of the twin jet Sno-blo Blacktop clearance machines back in the 70's at Waddington most definitely we have gone back BUT its largely thanks to the Environmentalists.

Never got the chance to operate the snow blowers at Cottesmore or Wildenrath as I was a lowly SAC . Saved me being called out at silly o' clock in the morning though .

Mark

Like 0      
24 Dec 2010 6:30 PM by rod Star rating in Uk and Spain. 469 posts Send private message

Thankyou you lovely ANORAKS

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Codeur - 5 posts
Web Domains - 8 posts
Europa Network - 4 posts
Online shopping in Spain - does it work? - 11 posts
The bank will not pay Community fees it owes on apartments it owns - 9 posts
car transport / recovery - 0 posts
Indoor swimming pool - 4 posts
villa rental prices - 7 posts
What are lawyers doing to address the delays in the Justice Administration System? - 56 posts
PJ's Car Hire - 4 posts
RECOMMENDED OIL CENTRAL HEATING ENGINEERS IN LOS ALCAZARES AREA - 0 posts
Bank Charges in Spain where can I find a list? - 12 posts
Iberdrola Web Site - 4 posts
1.8 metre satalite dish wanted - 7 posts
What does our Prime Minister do ? ? - 2 posts
winter arrived~ - 2 posts
hello,friends! - 1 posts
1.8 metre satalite dish wanted - 1 posts
Freesat tv - 2 posts
We're moving to Spain! - 4 posts
Wanted Wardrobe & Chest of Drawers - 0 posts
NIE form required for long term rental? - 11 posts
Maria de Castro in the Wall Street Journal - 4 posts
Instructions on Completing NIE Form - 8 posts
This might be of interest - 11 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 7

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x