Healthcare when retired.

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
05 Sep 2010 12:00 AM by costello Star rating in Co Durham. 45 posts Send private message

Hello All,

Can someone please advise me of the below questions about healthcare as everyone seems to have a different view on it.

Father aged 68 not residencia in Spain but in long term rental in Alicate, he is covered on his E1 11 as he is a pensioner? Is he covered in any EU country for healthcare?

His wife is early retiree aged 53, non redsidencia, what is the healthcare situation with her, Is she covered under her husbands healthcare or can she just use her E1 11?

Im aware they are not totally covered with the E1 11 as this should be used for short stay only.

Can they both register at a doctors in Spain without residencia and if so is their a cost?

What would happen if either died whilst in Spain and not residencia.

Hope someone can clear some of the issues as were all a bit confused.

Cheers

Like 0      
06 Sep 2010 10:02 AM by suemac Star rating in Jumilla, Murcia. 1001 posts Send private message

Hi

The best solution would be for both of them to get residencia.  You can do this when you are renting, as we did so, plus we registered on the padron, before we bought our apartment.  Your father should have had the E121 and if he had registered his wife could also have registered as his dependent.  The E121 has now been replaced by the S1.  Full details can be found on the FCO website: http://ukinspain.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for-british-nationals/living-in-spain/pensions-benefits/healthcare/e121/

Sue

Sue Walker

Author of "Retiring the Ole Way", now available on Amazon

See my blog about our life in Spain: www.spainuncovered.com

Like 0      
07 Sep 2010 10:23 AM by Kenny G Star rating in Calahonda. 41 posts Send private message

I would like to register and get the appropriate E form etc., but what happens if I decide (or need to) return to kive in the UK? Will there be problems transferring back to the NHS?

I would hate to be excluded from NHS, especially in later life, because I'd lived in Spain for a few years.

Like 0      
07 Sep 2010 3:03 PM by suemac Star rating in Jumilla, Murcia. 1001 posts Send private message

Hi Kenny

Check out the link that I included in the message below, as they may very well answer that question on the website! 

To the best of my knowledge the reason why we get the same healthcare as Spanish pensioners is because Spain and the UK are both in the  EU.  That being the case, moving back to the UK should not be a problem, though obviously you would need to register with a GP in the UK as soon as you moved back permanently.  At the moment, being a resident of Spain, you would need to use your EHIC card to get emergency medical treatment while on holiday in the UK.  The form you need is now called S1.  Hope that helps.

Sue

Sue Walker

Author of "Retiring the Ole Way", now available on Amazon

See my blog about our life in Spain: www.spainuncovered.com

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Looking for a tv repair person/company - 2 posts
Recommended driving routes through France to Mojacar - 6 posts
Canucki has joined!! - 1 posts
DOGS & BEACHES - 9 posts
Help please - Notice headed ´Cédula´received from local court. - 1 posts
LOW LOADER TRANSPORT REQ - 3 posts
Housesitting/Housekeeping/Pet sitting - 0 posts
Enjoying the food in Spain - 23 posts
i want to relist my property on EOS but.... - 4 posts
insulation and builders merchants? - 0 posts
Non Resident Tax Return - 43 posts
My town not shown on the list!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 6 posts
Is that about Bank´s liability a JOKE? - 3 posts
ZANUSSI SINGLE DOOR FRIDGE PURCHASED 1998 - 0 posts
Reputable car dealer near Vera / Mojacar - 5 posts
Valor Catastral & La Renta - 6 posts
OPEN SIGN UPS TO THE BOX - 5 posts
80% Mortgage possible ? - 11 posts
An Orihuela Townhall Scandal - 26 posts
ACCOMODATION IN FRANCE? - 7 posts
Arborculturalist advice wanted in the Gandia area - 0 posts
Spanish retirement pension - 24 posts
Car Hire - 3 posts
Golden Products Nutriance Aloe Vera Gel - 0 posts
Endesa Office, San Pedro De Alcantara, Marbella, Spain - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 4

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x