Transferring money to my Spanish bank

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
21 Jun 2010 12:00 AM by gillian Star rating in Colchester and Altea.... 187 posts Send private message

Hi there,

Last year I decided to transfer funds for my mortgage on a monthly basis in the hope that sterling would gain some ground.

This year,because things have picked up a little I am wondering if to send out a large chunk of money to cover the year.

I am however concerned about banks in Spain - we are hearing pretty worrying stories about the Spanish economy.

I think that the banks in Spain do cover a certain amount of cash in the same way as the UK but as yet I presume this is an untried situation - I am just mindful of all the horror stories one hears about builders and how do we know the banks will be more reliable ?

Any ideas ?

Thank you

Gilly

Gilly & Ralph

Like 0      
22 Jun 2010 9:41 AM by suemac Star rating in Jumilla, Murcia. 1001 posts Send private message

Hi Gilly

What bank would you be transferring your money to?  It seems to be the smaller cajas that are having the problems, however Santander and BBVA are considered to be very safe (this is worldwide, not just in Spain).  Yes, the banks do cover a certain amount of money as in the UK.  I can't remember how much, however I am sure somebody else on EOS will know!  If not, I will try and find out for you later on.

Regards.

Sue

Sue Walker

Author of "Retiring the Ole Way", now available on Amazon

See my blog about our life in Spain: www.spainuncovered.com

Like 0      
22 Jun 2010 9:47 AM by claire T Star rating in Torremendo, Orihuela. 689 posts Send private message

EOS Supporter

Hi Gilly - there have been recent mergers of the smaller cajas but I read that all deposits were unaffected by this so no-one lost any money due to these changes.

As Sue said, someone on the forum will be able to provide more information.  One thing to remember though, is never to move more than 50,000€ in one go or they will charge to receive the money!!

Like 0      
24 Jun 2010 9:23 AM by gillian Star rating in Colchester and Altea.... 187 posts Send private message

Thank you for your replies.

My concern is that I am with one of the smaller banks - they are excellant and I have had amazing free service and help from them.

However, reading what you have said it does make me feel some worry about sending out too much money.

Gilly & Ralph

Like 0      
24 Jun 2010 9:35 AM by suemac Star rating in Jumilla, Murcia. 1001 posts Send private message

Hi Gilly

This is the link to the official website giving details about safeguarding deposits in Spanish banks.  The limit is 100,000 €, which hopefully will cover your expenses for at least one year!

http://www.fgd.es/en/info_regulacion_dinero1.html

Regards.

Sue

Sue Walker

Author of "Retiring the Ole Way", now available on Amazon

See my blog about our life in Spain: www.spainuncovered.com

Like 0      
24 Jun 2010 1:36 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

I wouldn't have any money in any of the Cajas to be on the safe side.  I know you are covered by the deposit guarantee in Spain, but how long would you have to wait to get your money back? Weeks? Months? Years?

As suemac says, I would stick to the quality banks - Santander, BBVA and also Barlays - just to be on the safe side.

Read my blog: Spain Money Saving Tips and Offers 

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 0      
25 Jun 2010 11:16 AM by Forhotspot Star rating. 233 posts Send private message

Does anyone know if there is a fee for Barclays in Spain to receive money. Moneycorp used to absorb the fees for receiving banks but they`ve stopped it now. There`s no fee on Moneycorp side to send money but I`m not sure about Barclays receiving it.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Endesa Web Site in English - 3 posts
can anyone recommend a good garage for servicing vehicle around Estepona - 3 posts
Simulsat TV - 9 posts
help wanted - 1 posts
Information, please? - 2 posts
Why do we get so many new members wanting to move to Spain? - 29 posts
Playing around! - 0 posts
Calahonda International School - 2 posts
Spanish postal service reliability - 2 posts
New on here and need some good advice... - 15 posts
Jale bankruptcy - 0 posts
HP Laptop For Sale - 2 posts
Horse riding stuff for sale - 0 posts
advice needed please - 1 posts
Speeding Fine UK Registered Car - Advice Needed - 12 posts
England Match - 2 posts
Winter heating - 4 posts
Court costs - 2 posts
Because we're worth it. - 6 posts
TASA Costa Esuri - help - 0 posts
Holiday let required please - 1 posts
Inheritance Taxes - 26 posts
Postal Service: Urgent help Needed, please - 3 posts
Garden Centres, DIY stores etc in Albox/ Huercal-Overa Area? - 6 posts
Paying Car Tax In Spain - 14 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 7

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x