The Banks Cash Point Scam

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
06 May 2010 12:00 AM by mike_walsh Star rating in Torrevieja. 594 posts Send private message

mike_walsh´s avatar

"I've noticed an increasing tendency when using cash machines in Spain to be asked whether you want to be charged in Euros or Sterling (for UK cards). This seems such a banking scam as most tourists don't know which is best for them and I'm sure many select Sterling without realising that they will then be accepting a very poor exchange rate.

You should select the option of NOT accepting the conversion to the non-Euro currency. I've also heard that the Spanish banks are adding on an additional 2.5% commission when you accept the conversion to Sterling rate ... talk about adding insult to injury! Just accept the money in Euros and ignore any other options."

Russian - English Translations, Copywriting and Ghostwiting. Check my Website or email keyboardcosmetics@gmail.com for details

www.keyboardcosmetics.com

Like 0      
06 May 2010 10:38 AM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

I don't know I think it's a case of swings and roundabouts.

Most people using UK debit/credit cards don't know what their UK bank will charge them either on conversion.

Personally I never use UK debit/credit cards in Spain and vice-versa when in UK.

I think there are some UK credit cards that are better than others when it comes to using them overseas?

Like 0      
06 May 2010 1:29 PM by Marysafc Star rating in Harrow and Peñiscola. 113 posts Send private message

Nationwide don't charge any fees for taking money out in EU and 1% for USA, which is better than using a credit card to pay for goods in shops, as typically they charge a 2% fee.

Like 0      
06 May 2010 2:20 PM by daniela Star rating in Duquesa. 167 posts Send private message

daniela´s avatar

I live in Spain but I work in Gib - so get paid in sterling.  I have found that the best way is using my credit card for shopping etc and when withdrawing from the bank using a debit card always say no to the conversion rate.  Usually you get more money from your own bank conversion in the UK - even if they charge you a fee.

Post Office offer a credit card with no commission and they always give you excellent exchange rates to - highly recommend them!

Hope that helps!

Like 0      
06 May 2010 2:53 PM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

Another Mike Walsh post...

Stick up something a bit controversial and wait for the flack and at the same time make sure you plug your own website.

Just how spammy can you get?

Makes me kinda glad that EOS changed the rules about self promotion.

fb

http://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Like 0      
06 May 2010 3:08 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

What's your problem with Mike Walsh, FB? Your signature mentions you have freedom of choice so maybe don't read his posts. 

I don't know Mike but I do know there are many members who post rubbish who promote their website with a DIRECT link  which Mike doesn't though he could seeing as he's posted over 50 posts. I don't see them generally taking flack.

No PMs to me please over this.

This message was last edited by morerosado on 06/05/2010.

Like 0      
06 May 2010 3:21 PM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

I think today the sun is not shining on Foxbat.

I thought it was a good topic and we had gone off on a relevant tangent discussing which UK credit/debit cards did not fleece you if used in Spain.

Like 0      
06 May 2010 4:56 PM by mike_walsh Star rating in Torrevieja. 594 posts Send private message

mike_walsh´s avatar

I am not sure where FB is coming from either. I was a bit uncomfortable at making so few EOS posts. As for spamming I haven't checked my details for a long time. If it is ghost-writing then he or she is really barking up the wrong tree. I have work coming out of my ears. So much so that I stopped writing for two newspapers! In another forum I removed the link completely. In every forum I know you will find someone taking pot shots at another poster; quite bizarre.

Russian - English Translations, Copywriting and Ghostwiting. Check my Website or email keyboardcosmetics@gmail.com for details

Like 0      
06 May 2010 7:05 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

I've just been looking at your website, Mike, as I write myself & consider myself very good at it as, I believe, do many. I have two friends who also write.

As Roberto has started a very comical thread about how long is a piece of Spanish string I had to laugh when I read this on your site ..

WHAT WILL IT COST ME?

This is the ultimate ‘How long is a piece of string?’ question. I re-write everything from a website’s home page to 70,000 word manuscripts – and everything in between. If it were possible to include a price list it would add to the confusion.

You should join in   Just curious.....   is the thread. Click on the blue link.

Like 0      
06 May 2010 8:17 PM by mike_walsh Star rating in Torrevieja. 594 posts Send private message

mike_walsh´s avatar

Yes, that thread amused me too, honey; especially the one that replied: 'As long as una momento.'  My use of the term was purely coincidental but I have been told that my articles identify me by my style and use of certain terms. Heck! I can't disguise my looks, my age, nor my writing. Oh for anonymity. I am always banging on about the banks and banksters.

Good wishes with your writing; there are too few who can do so. Of the several books I am currently working on the manuscript that reads the best is penned by a German national. Whatever happened?

Like 0      
06 May 2010 9:17 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

If you have a Alliance and Leicester/Abbey/Santander account in the UK, you can get free withdrawals at Spanish Santander branches.

Read my blog: Spain Money Saving Tips and Offers 

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 0      
08 May 2010 12:04 AM by Elly May Star rating in La Zenia, Costa Blan.... 13 posts Send private message

Elly May´s avatar

You might want to check that with regard to Abbey/Santander as we were of the understanding that you only got free withdrawals in Spain if you had a mortgage with them.

Like 0      
08 May 2010 11:58 AM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Any information on care work in Altea? - 0 posts
freeholder going bankrupt - 0 posts
Member of staff stole deposit and agent will not pay back - 5 posts
Car storage near Murcia Airport - 0 posts
Did any thing nice happen in 1998? - 2 posts
Find History of House - 6 posts
mains water estepona - 0 posts
Health & Safety certificate - 1 posts
Car rental , Alicante Airport - 17 posts
white sky viewing card skynet? - 12 posts
Banks! Not at all user friendly - 8 posts
need help from a spanish citizen - 6 posts
Hague Apostile in the UK - Information for other would be users - 1 posts
Transfer of property in divorce settlements - 9 posts
town hall daya nueva website address - 2 posts
looking for a one month rental in Fuengirola - 1 posts
room wonted - 2 posts
replating my uk registered Vespa PX200 - 2 posts
Help in getting from Gibraltar to Duquesa end of the month by bus - 0 posts
Any way to keep english no. plate? - 4 posts
Help please????? - 1 posts
Looking for the RIGHT PLACE in Spain - 0 posts
Wanted bike for 6yr old boy. - 12 posts
Make your vote count if you have one - 0 posts
Martin's Facebook blog: Spanish cash machine gave me more info than I’d bargained for… - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 13

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x