certificates of Habitation

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
22 Apr 2010 12:00 AM by Gorth1 Star rating. 10 posts Send private message

Hi  I am just wondering can you sell property if you do  not have certificate of habitation

Like 0      
22 Apr 2010 4:10 PM by joanmalaga Star rating in Costa del Sol. 419 posts Send private message

You can seel, the problem is wether anyone is willing to buy without it. I know a couple of people who have sold without.

Joan

Like 0      
22 Apr 2010 4:40 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

I know of some who HAD a certificate of habitation who had to renew it BEFORE selling as, in our area, I understand it is only valid for 5 yrs.

As you are not legally permitted to live in a property that has no certificate (& you should not be connected either to mains water or electricity), I would NEVER buy a property without one & the buyer's solicitor should insist the property has it!

Like 0      
22 Apr 2010 4:46 PM by Gorth1 Star rating. 10 posts Send private message

thanks for that information. we are looking to buy property in bosque de las lomas and hear they might not have certificate of habitation

Like 0      
22 Apr 2010 4:51 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Gorth, DON'T DO IT! You are leaving yourself WIDE OPEN to problems. You only have to read certain posts on here & other Spanish forums about the problems of not having a certificate of habitation.

Apart from being illegal developers have been known to withdraw their water & electricity supplies when wanting to move onto pastures new.

Is it a new or newish property or an old one? I understand sometimes old properties never had a cert!

This message was last edited by morerosado on 22/04/2010.

Like 0      
22 Apr 2010 4:58 PM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar

Gorth,

I presume the property is a Tecnologica (battenburg) property if it's in Bosque de Lomas.

why would you consider buying something that is going to have so many problems attached when there is so much property available that is squeeky clean.

Warning; stop and think before making a decision that could cause you major problems in the future.

You can buy a property without one as long as it is requested before purchase, i now use an architect that can get any Cedula within 3 days, it has made my life so much easier.

with the property i think you are talking about, no Cedula will be just the tip of the iceberg..........................

Like 0      
22 Apr 2010 5:11 PM by Gorth1 Star rating. 10 posts Send private message

great to hear from people with advise, yes will be looking for property elsewhere.

Like 0      
22 Apr 2010 8:15 PM by Fly380 Star rating in Las Filipinas, Orihu.... 253 posts Send private message

A good call Gorth 1. I live in a TU battenberg house on Bosque de las lomas. No deeds, builders water and electric that we have to pay for, no certificate of habitation etc etc. It's a building site and I've been here 5 years thanks to Atlas and TU. As others have said - with so many other properties available you would be mad to buy here.

Like 0      
27 Apr 2010 6:57 PM by shar Star rating in Campo in Albatera, C.... 36 posts Send private message

shar´s avatar

Its should noted that if this is for urban property then cedula, yes but not always so with rustic properties that have water and electric older than 5 years!

Like 0      
27 Apr 2010 7:04 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Shar, you will note I DID say in my post 22 Apr 2010 16:51

'Is it a new or newish property or an old one? I understand sometimes old properties never had a cert!'

There was NO NEED for you to send me a PM saying ...

27/04/2010 18:55:00

shar

Sent to:

morerosado

Yes sometimes older properties never had one and it does not mean they are illegal if they dont!! please make sure what you say is 100% before printing thanks

Like 0      
27 Apr 2010 7:16 PM by shar Star rating in Campo in Albatera, C.... 36 posts Send private message

shar´s avatar

As you are not legally permitted to live in a property that has no certificate (& you should not be connected either to mains water or electricity), I would NEVER buy a property without one & the buyer's solicitor should insist the property has it!

Sorry if I have offended you but people who are not aware of laws and are new to the regulations here may take this rule for ALL properties which is not the case!

As I work in rustic properties only then you can imagine how much harder this makes my already hard job!

No hard feelings, I hope you understand where I am coing from, I have sold over a 100 rustic properties many if not the majority with no CofH with no problems to date, 6 years later !

Like 0      
27 Apr 2010 8:47 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

There are different properties on BDL so saying don't buy isn't really helpful to anyone who may be trying to sell a property on this location.

BDL1 is fully legal and they have deeds, certs of habitation etc etc.  Most properties on BDL2 are legal with the same paperwork. A cert of habitation for the community has been issued and is held by the administrators.  A good deal of the other properties have individual certs of habitation and others are having them forwarded on to them at this very moment (should have got all the individual ones by February but apparently there was a spelling error in the address and they are being redone).  However, all this property has been connected to both mains water and electrics for some time so its just a case of red tape being completed.

BDL3, unfortunately, has never been fully completed due to the developer going bust and having debts (even though they continued trading) as Fly380 can testify.  Hopefully, this will get sorted out as the last I heard the council were going to step in (?) as they are doing in the Campoamor area (?).  I really hope this gets sorted out soon and with huge financial penalties to TU (and Atlas as well, if there were any justice in this world).

So don't let them put you off if you want to buy in the area.  Just ensure the paperwork is correct which, for most of the property, it is.  Ensure you have a good (independent) solicitor and you should be OK.  This is what you should do with property in any area, after all.

A lot of the comments you will hear are now historic (or should that be hysteric?).  As they say, give a dog a bad name..........but it doesn't take into account the hard work that has been done by the residents and, frankly, does them a disservice.

(PS, I used to own a property there.  It did take a long time to get the deeds, solicitors taking TU to court 6 times etc, threatening to take the old administrators to court but, finally, after 7 years it was all OK.  Comments from people outside relying on hearsay are just not helpful at all).

It is a great and up and coming area with either good facilities on hand or within easy reach.  It even has buses with stops!

Like 0      
27 Apr 2010 8:58 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

But surely, at the end of the day, a lawyer should find all that out & advise? Too many rely on hearsay. If a lawyer claims they hold the cert it has been mentioned by many on here that hasn't been accurate. Ask to look at the cert to prove it exists IF the property isn't over 5 yrs old & classed as 'rustic' as it doesn't need one Did I get it right??

Like 0      
01 May 2010 7:47 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Whatever  happens here and there. You cannot live either sell a house with no First Occupation License

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
01 May 2010 11:03 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Buenos dias Maria. I hope you are keeping well, also your family ... the children will be growing so fast.

So .. from what YOU, as a lawyer, say ... Shar is incorrect??

I want to be 100% clear here as I pass information onto others regularly.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Car Hire Prices - 0 posts
wood pellet stoves - 0 posts
Private Message Facility - 1 posts
Van going back to the UK. - 0 posts
Good news week - 2 posts
Floundering! - 4 posts
Texting! I Cannot Send Texts! - 1 posts
WE HAVE JUST BECOME RESIDENTS - 2 posts
Community Rules and Washing Lines - 0 posts
Does anyone need to drive from UK to Malaga in next few days? - 0 posts
Wanted LHD Vehicle - 8 posts
Money making idea - 2 posts
Is anyone good with websites?? - 13 posts
Car Swop - 3 posts
2 Easy jet flights from Malaga to Luton for 21 st ....23.15 pm - 2 posts
if you need a driver. - 0 posts
Breaking News - 27 posts
Any ideas of how to get from Malaga Airport to Cherbourg France PLEASE????? - 10 posts
Room/bar to let out for one night for a birthday party in la marina!!? - 4 posts
Mr. - 1 posts
For Magic lovers - 0 posts
On line legal forms and documents - 1 posts
"Pet Transport, No problem, No Crisis" - 1 posts
polaris world cancelled my contract - 2 posts
THE DREADED COMPUTER - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 15

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x