IBI Local taxes

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
12 Sep 2008 11:16 AM by Kev K Star rating in Cork, Ireland, Olivi.... 141 posts Send private message

Kev K´s avatar
Cheers Rashmi
I will watch our own thread with interest, we got the keys in May 2007 so maybe our bill will only be for 2007, 2008. The last thing I want is a large bill in a couple of years time rather get on top of it now.

Thanks to all.

Like 0      
12 Sep 2008 11:40 AM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

Whoops, sorry Rashmi

Kev - I did pick up the fact that you were non-resident and also that you had paid Wealth/Renta tax for 2007 - same as Rashmi.  It made me think that you had both bought your properties on the same phase.

I've just scrolled down and found that I'm answering your first thread.

As you completed in May 2007 Kev you will not pay the IBI for 2007, the person who owns the property on Jan 1 is the one who is liable.  You will be responsible for 2008, Rashmi has posted the figures due this year so keep that amount in your Bank Account.

Your Solicitor seems to be on the ball, you will only have to pay penalty payment if there is a delay in paying the bill.  Does anyone check your post box for you, if so it might be worthwhile getting them to do it weekly.  Look what happened to Rashmi, her's was sent to her home instead of to the Solicitor.

Rashmi - glad you got it sorted.

Like 0      
12 Sep 2008 11:49 AM by Kev K Star rating in Cork, Ireland, Olivi.... 141 posts Send private message

Kev K´s avatar
Cheers Semi
My post is looked after regularly but hopefully won't have any nasty surprises,

Will reply when I finally recieve such bills.

Keep up all ur valuable info
Cheers

Like 0      
12 Sep 2008 12:22 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

You're welcome Kev, you also gave some valuble info as my solicitor is still being cagey about whether or not Wealth Tax is being abolished.  

I can understand why as most people, myself included will be calculating their own Renta Tax.

I'm going to print off the 214 forms and see if I can complete them to arrive at the same amount that I've been paying each year.  If I'm successful then I'll be completing my own forms from next year.  I think the cost of the Tax will be less than the 82.94 they charge me to do it. 

Like 0      
14 Sep 2008 11:37 AM by Mooma Star rating. 48 posts Send private message

Hi

I think I might not be alone in having a panic attack over this thread! I have received some information from our solicitor which has put my mind at rest. These taxes have several titles and although I was aware of Suma tax and Wealth tax, I had never heard of IBI and Renta. I thought that maybe these were yet more taxes. Luckily this is not so, and apologies if I am repeating information already given, or if I'm being stupid, but if I post this I will feel much calmer and hope that it might help others too.

Local tax/Suma tax/IBI tax (Impuesto de Bienes Immuebles) are all the same tax, just different names. From what I understand this is similar to the English Council tax.

Income and Wealth tax/Renta/Patrimonio (Impuesto de Renta y Patrimonio) are all the same tax, just different names. Liable to pay because we have a property in Spain.

Phew!!!

Like 0      
14 Sep 2008 12:23 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

You are nearly there but not quite!

SUMA is the name of a Government office who deal with the local taxes.  In the principal towns there will be a SUMA building where you go to arrange to pay the taxes.

They prepare the IBI (council tax) bill and also the annual car tax bill.  In some areas I think they also deal with the Basura bill, mine I pay as part of my water bill.

Wealth Tax (patrimonia - I don't think the spellings right but I've learnt it by thinking of matimonial and it's stuck (google it and you'll find the correct name)) and Renta are separate taxes which you pay at the same time.

Wealth Tax is being disbanded from the 1st January this year, it's paid in arrears so you still need to pay it this year for 2007.

Renta is not so you still have to pay this next year.  

Like 0      
14 Sep 2008 1:34 PM by Kev K Star rating in Cork, Ireland, Olivi.... 141 posts Send private message

Kev K´s avatar
Hi Semi.
Guess what.... after I recieved an email from my solicitor stating my property isn't ready for IBI bills etc. (few posts down) I check my bank account and what was debited on 03/09/08, yep you guessed it my IBI for 2008.  I have written back to soliitor to query same. Good news is that the bill was very small 95 euro and now hopefully there shouldn't be anymore surprises to come in a few years time, except I suppose what will replace wealth tax and annual increases etc.

Cheers
Kev

Like 0      
14 Sep 2008 2:40 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

Well you can relax now Kev as your yearly bills are up todate now.

If they decide to bring in another tax to replace the wealth (patrimonio  - deepest apologies to Mooma as she had spelt it correctly)  then everyone will know as these message boards will be full of threads.  Front page news on the English language newspapers as well I would think as everyone would be moaning.

Wish my bill was 95e   Only kidding I'm happy with what I pay, just wish my Solicitor would hurry up and pay it.  Don't really want to have to sort that out as well when I'm over in two weeks.  Have enought to do with sorting out Non Residents Certificate and making sure my Mobile is registered.

I'm supposed to be enjoying me casa in Spain not running around with a list of things to do.

Like 0      
14 Sep 2008 2:51 PM by Kev K Star rating in Cork, Ireland, Olivi.... 141 posts Send private message

Kev K´s avatar
Don't worry Semi, when you get there you can chill with a nice bit of weather cheap food and alcohol, bills will be the last thing on your mind.... enjoy....

I am going this week and that's what I'll be doing

Salud

This message was last edited by Kev K on 9/14/2008.

Like 0      
14 Sep 2008 3:49 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

I have a bottle of Tinto verrano chilling in the fridge and tins of tonic, can't remember the names at the moment but they're made by Coca Cola and are delish.  Don't even bother to put the Gin in as it would spoil it.  Loads of ice and lemon, can't wait.

Safe journey

Like 0      
14 Sep 2008 5:27 PM by Mooma Star rating. 48 posts Send private message

Sorry for going off topic, but contining the thread......my favourite tonic in Spain is Nordic Mist. Yum!

Enjoy! I'm jealous! Not out again now until the end of October

Like 0      
14 Sep 2008 7:29 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

Nordic Mist, that's the name!!!!!!!  Only sold in Europe, can't get them in Spain

Like 0      
14 Sep 2008 10:59 PM by Mooma Star rating. 48 posts Send private message

Well, I certainly buy Nordic Mist in Spain... and they have them in our local bar too! I think I buy them in Eroski. Just wish I could buy them here in England.

Another favourite that I used to buy here in grotty greyland is Ben Shaws, but I havent been able to find this make in ages and presume they are not made now. Tesco finest are a reasonable runner up. 

With best wishes from the world tonic expert   !!!!!!

Like 0      
15 Sep 2008 7:02 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
Semi, don't want to sound nit-picky because you have been giving such great info , but:

"SUMA is the name of a Government office who deal with the local taxes.  In the principal towns there will be a SUMA building where you go to arrange to pay the taxes"
I've lost count of how many times I've made this point. SUMA is specific to Alicante. Those of us elsewhere in Spain don't know what you are talking about when you mention SUMA, which does lead to some confusion (see Mooma's post below).

And:
"Only sold in Europe, can't get them in Spain"
Huh?

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
15 Sep 2008 7:42 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

Oops  didn't realise that it only related to Alicante, to be fair though Mooma did say she knew what Suma tax was but not IBI.  

I will add that nugget to my little grey cells to make sure I don't confuse anyone again.

I see you noticed my "CRAFT" moment, I meant to say Spain

I didn't want to lose the important information with too many threads on Nordic Mist etc so sent a private message to Mooma apologising.

Like 0      
07 Oct 2008 1:38 PM by dondonsinspain Star rating. 13 posts Send private message

Hi - IF you are registered with the Padron in Estepona (able to vote) you should have received a letter informing you of these proposed increases to the IBI a few months ago.  Basically if you are on this register the increase would only be 2.4% as opposed to the 63% for those not registered.  The only reason we know is that although we were registered when we moved house we forgot to tell the Padron, so we had to re-register again, fortunately in time for the increase NOT to apply to our IBI.  However Estepona residents should be aware that there is an intention to charge seperately for the dustbin empting  - this is supposed to be coming into effect this year -although we havent heard when yet!

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Mirador Villa Phase 2 Fuente De Piedra - 2 posts
urgent - cycle hire - 0 posts
Living in Malaga - 0 posts
viva estates - 8 posts
Moving with a dog - 3 posts
Bank transfer to Holland - 2 posts
How to handle the Guardia Civil...(not) - 1 posts
LONG TERM RENTAL REQUIRED - 0 posts
Broadband around cabo roig. - 10 posts
Good evening to everyone! - 6 posts
Tesco Clubcard Vouchers - 1 posts
New Restaurant La Reserva! - 1 posts
Mystery - 0 posts
UP-DATE ABOUT (M11) - 2 posts
Este Bueno! - 2 posts
Any Salsa classes in Los Alcazares, San Javier or anywhere close by? - 3 posts
mortgage transfer - 1 posts
MORE WOE BROUGHT ON BY CREDIT SQUEEZE - 27 posts
house exchange - 1 posts
UK based Notary - 7 posts
What's the legal age for marriage in Spain? - 5 posts
DECREE 218/2005 (only applicable to Andalucía) - 15 posts
Bank Repossessions in Spain explained - 27 posts
Bank Guarantees explained - 41 posts
First Occupancy Licence - 12 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 76

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x