Setting up a spanish will

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
24 Aug 2009 9:33 AM by sandran Star rating in Aberdeenshire. 13 posts Send private message

Spanish wills is it not the case that if you buy your property as a UK  LTD company that the shares fall to the shareholders  ie ( family  ) when the parent dies thus avoiding inheritance tax.?

Like 0      
24 Aug 2009 10:32 AM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar

Yes thats true, but the property has to be in that ltd company. If its in private names then it needs to be transferred which costs quite a bit of money including transfer tax.

If there is a mortgage taken out in Spain then you cannot do this as banks will not lend on shares only on private names.

Quite frankly m'dear, I don't give a damn!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
24 Aug 2009 10:45 AM by kev2006n Star rating in Sussex and Playa Fla.... 344 posts Send private message

Sandran, The shares would form part of your estate. They could be subject to UK Inheritance Tax as they would have a value. I think you do have some problems in Spain. Last year I checked everything out and decided it was easier to put the property in the name of one of the kids with him granting me and his mum the right to use it for the rest of our lives without charge. He has done a Spanish will leaving the property to his brother. When something happens to us they will sell it and split the money as I don't think they will want to run a place abroad.

Like 0      
24 Aug 2009 11:00 AM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar

Thats also true and I should have clarified. Most people doing this ´sell´ the shares to the family members thus avoiding the taxes. Its the Spanish tax you avoid by placing into a company name.

The main downside is that if you come to sell and the buyer doesnt want the ltd co, there may be a hefty capital gains liability. The old reason many bought in this structure was because they paid a lot of B money (cash) and so the property was underdeclared massively (usually with the large villas) Property would trade in this way and so the original declared value of the property would stay static. If someone bought out of the ltd co, then the difference to the original paid to the new amount paid could be huge thereby attracting a lot of capital gains.

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
24 Aug 2009 3:55 PM by dringman Star rating in www.Condadoexcursion.... 772 posts Send private message

dringman´s avatar

Sorry to mention this but having been involved in Uk probate then the complcation of putting a property in a child's name solely is if the child dies before you . Re setiing up in a UK company there is a way that the property is transferred to a UK company that you are shareholders off without the tax being paid , see link in my details below, 

Many have tried to find a solution to this problem but if you use the link you will get a more detailed reply

David

EOS administrator-  Wincham have many paid adverts on the web site.

Sandra - see legal opinion on web site

www.condadoexcursions.com   Airport Transfers Day Trips Alhama de Murcia Taxi No 10  
tel +441212881323   +34 622714979

Like 0      
24 Aug 2009 4:40 PM by kev2006n Star rating in Sussex and Playa Fla.... 344 posts Send private message

I hope my son is going to survive me, in any event he has made a will leaving it to his brother in Spain. I think your suggestion of setting up a company is a good one if you have a valuable property. However a modest villa of around 100,000 Euros would seem hard to justify the annual costs that would be involved in running a company. I suspect the remaining partner will ask my son to sell the villa when something happens to one of us. I don't think the remaining spouse is likely to want to keep it at that stage. It then seems even harder to justify setting up a company.

Will we have problems getting our son to do what we want? I doubt it as I'm sure he will want a share of all the other assets!

I agree there is no easy solution. However, I do think Spanish advisers should be much more proactive in the giving of advice and simply not reactive! From what I have discovered very few have understood the way things work in Spain. Most buy the property in joint names, leave their half to their spouse. When a spouse dies this would trigger a tax bill. Then when the remaining partner dies and the whole is transferred to the children a tax bill will be generated on the whole of the property value! How many property buyers have had that explained to them when they bought their properties? How many were given suggestions on how to mitigate any tax liability? I suspect not even 5%  have been given any proper advice? When I asked last year no one seemed to know. I'd love to know how many people feel they were given proper advice?

Like 0      
27 Aug 2009 1:28 PM by Property On Finca Parcs Star rating in UK & Spain. 29 posts Send private message

Hello Fellow Members,

I have been reading this post with interest and I would like to pass on my knowledge and findings after purchasing a property in Spain using a UK Limited Company so my Family do not have to worry about Spanish Inheritance Tax. We were fully aware of IHT in Spain before we bought and new it is always the Beneficiaries who are liable for the Tax in Spain unlike the Estate in other Countries, and after lots of research we found the only legal and credible way to remove IHT in Spain was to own in a UK Limited Company. The requirement of a Will in Spain is suggested by most Lawyers in Spain to have if you own a property directly in Spain but what they forget to inform you is that the Wills are registered in Madrid and the Taxes have to be paid within 6 months of death otherwise the Spanish Government can charge you interest on the Taxes if they are not paid in time. You are also not allowed to sell the property or raise finance against it to pay the Taxes and the deceased’s banks accounts are frozen in Spain as well. Now we own our property in a UK Company the shares in the UK Company can be dealt with in a UK Will and Company Shares are exempt from Taxation in Spain and may also be exempt from Inheritance Tax in the UK as well, therefore no Wills are required in Spain. It is also miss guidance to say that between Husband and Wife there is a huge allowance in Spain for IHT as it is different from region to region and you have to be proven to be Domiciled as the Beneficiary in Spain and Resident at least, for everyone else you are thrown into the other Spanish Tax band and the Inheritance Tax to the Beneficiaries is extremely high.

Please find the Spanish Tax allowances below for the Beneficiaries

Group  1
€  15957
 Descendents and Adoptive children under 21
Group  2
€  15957
 Descendents and Adoptive children over 21, Spouse, Parents, and
 Adoptive Parents
Group  3
€  7993
 Brothers\Sisters, Nephews\Nieces, Aunts\Uncles
Group  4
€  0
 Relatives in 4th degree and Friends

Kev2006n has mentioned placing the ownership with your children but this is not a good idea as their share of the property may end being at risk through money or marital issues and if they die before the parents then the parents have to pay Taxes to get the property back in there own name. This transaction will also mean the children have a Capital Gains Tax as they have been given something for nothing and they may be liable for 18% Capital Gains Tax after receiving the asset.

Rixxy states ‘the main downside of owning in a UK Company is if you come to sell and the buyer doesn’t want the Company, there may be a hefty capital gains liability.’ This is not true as you are liable for Capital Gains Tax of 18% in Spain or the UK if you make a profit and this is no different if you own in your own name. There is also the opportunity of selling the Company in its entirety which simply requires a sale of the shares, this means there is no 7% Transfer Tax to the Buyer and no 3%Witthholding Tax to the Seller, if the buyer does not want the Company then the property is sold out of the Company at a Notary in Spain no differently then selling from you own name. If you already own a property in Spain and you wish to move the ownership into a UK Limited Company then there is no CGT implication in Spain. The Hacienda has a method of calculating an investment value based on the original purchase price as shown in the Public deed plus the 7% paid at purchase, plus the Notary fees, plus indexation for the years the property has been owned. This value would be the new investment value with no CGT in Spain. If you were to sell and make a further profit then your Capital Gains Tax will be based on the new deed figure.

If anyone would like my Consultants details who helped me purchase in this way then please let me know as they have offices on the Costa Blanca and in Cheshire, the UK

This message was last edited by Property On Finca Parcs on 27/08/2009.

Like 0      
27 Aug 2009 10:31 PM by kev2006n Star rating in Sussex and Playa Fla.... 344 posts Send private message

I do not believe you are correct about my son being liable to Capital gains tax on the money we gave him in the UK to purchase a property in Spain. It may be subject to Inheritance Tax if we were to die in the near future otherwise it is a gift in the UK. He has left the property to his brother, so in the event of his death we would not be paying to get the asset back, again he is only 26 and we are hopeful that he will last a god many years yet! He is not married and when that time comes we will make sure that this asset is passed to his brother in his English will as well as his Spanish one. Yes, he will be happy to do this as I'm sure he will not want to be excluded from the rest of the assets we have.

I don't understand how you believe an asset with a value  which surely the shares in the company will have, will be exempt from UK Inheritance Tax? Are you suggesting that all stocks and shares are exempt! Lots would dash out to buy them to make sure they avoided UK Inheritance Tax! . I'm sorry all your assets will form part of the estate for Inheritance Tax. True you may not have to pay IT if your assets are not sufficient to reach a level where tax is payable in the UK. I also think if you make enough money on the sale you could be liable to CGT in the UK when you come to close the company. This would be the same as any other asset you dispose of. I still think the buyer would have to pay the 7% purchase tax in Spain as there would be a change of ownership on the deeds if it was sold out from the company. If purchasing the company to buy the property, one would have to carry out a lot more work to check on the status of the company make sure tax returns had been done and carry out due dilligence. As the seller of the company you may be required to give plenty of assurances and guarantees to the buyer. I would want them if buying a company!

You make no mention of the costs of setting up and running the company nor of the charges your Consultants will levy, actually surprisingly quiet. Unless the property is very valuable I think it might prove to be a pointless exercise. From what you have detailed I think I am happy to pass on this and not want to follow up with your advisors! Thank you. 

Like 0      
27 Aug 2009 10:44 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar

You are taking what I said out of context. If you sell a property here in Spain, and the buyer wants a mortgage then it HAS to come out of the company name. There is then a cgt liability - I know as I have been involved in sales of the same.

If you transfer the shares of the company then there isnt. Just as there is no transfer tax or anything, its very simple and quick.

When you buy a property in Spain there is a declared value of the proeprty. In the old days one would under declare and pay the difference in cash. This does still go on but no where as badly when people where paying 7'% in cash! That meant both buyer and seller gained by paying less tax. It still had to be a reasonable amount and an increase on the original declared value.

This value is stated on the escritura and is registered at the notary offices and land registry so cannot be changed or ignored. The declared value of the new purchase was and now very much is annexed and related to the catastral value of the property.

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
28 Aug 2009 2:12 PM by Property On Finca Parcs Star rating in UK & Spain. 29 posts Send private message

Dear Kev2006n,

As a British Citizen your Son is Taxed in the UK on his worldwide Estate including Gifts and is required to complete an annual Tax Return in the UK on his worldwide income. When he submits his next Tax Return he will have to disclose you have supplied the money to him and he will be Taxed accordingly in the UK. If he does not submit a Tax Return in the UK and disclose the money to the British Government then he is acting a fraud which is obviously not a good thing to do, also if he decides to sell then his Capital Gains Tax of 18% will be on the full sale value of the property in Spain as the Tax Authorities will have no log of the ownership. You can supply money and items to your Son in the UK as a Gift but you have to loge it with your UK Accountant or Lawyer and are not required to inform your Beneficiaries until your death, should you then live longer than 7 years from when the Gift was logged then you’re Beneficiaries will receive it Tax free in the UK. I highly recommend in this case you take independent Tax advice from a Chartered Accountant in the UK to make sure he does not have a liability.

If your Son leaves the property in Spain to his Brother then his Brother will be liable for the Spanish Inheritance Tax on your Son’s death and you can see from my Tax table I supplied previous that the allowance between Brothers in Spain is only 7993 euros and the balance of the inheritance in Spain will be Taxable to the Spanish Authorities. Should your Son decide to get married and leave the assets to his Wife then that allowance is only 15.957 euros in Spain and the balance is Taxable. By owning a property in Spain via a UK Limited Company completely removes all future problems of Taxation in Spain 100%.

Once the property is owned in a UK Limited Company then the assets falls under UK Taxation and only requires a Will in the UK to deal with the assets. Money, property, shares or anything can be passed between Husband and Wife 100% Tax Free in the UK and then there is the unused allowances which mean the Contingent Beneficiaries can inherit Tax free upto £325,000 and & £650,000 if not used, any credible Accountant or Lawyer in the UK will confirm this.

You are correct that if you sell the property from the Company then there is Tax to pay in the UK but you still have to pay 18% Capital Gains Tax on any profit if you sell from your own name, and you are also correct that the Buyer will have to pay 7% Transfer Tax and 300 euros for a new Land Registry document, but again you have the same charges if you sell from your own name. The big advantage is if you find someone who will buy the Company than you only need a UK Lawyer to produce a Sale & Purchase agreement which costs about £1500 to sell the shares; this will then save all the buying and selling taxes in Spain and does not need anyone to attend a Notary in Spain to complete the transaction. You also mention ‘if purchasing the company to buy the property, one would have to carry out a lot more work to check on the status of the company and make sure Tax Returns had been done and carry out due diligence’ This I believe to be an advantage as it will be using UK Accountants and Lawyers who are all regulated unlike Spanish Professionals who are not in most cases.

My Consultant charges a flat fee academic of the value of the asset in Spain and it can be completed for less than most probate and legal fees in Spain when there is a death of a property owner, and the transaction takes between 2 to 5 weeks depending on the requirement of the Owner / Buyer. The onward charges for running a UK Company including the production of the filled accounts are only about £500 per year, which is less than most people pay in annual Taxes to the Spanish Authorities for owning in their own names. Anyone who would like a free illustration demonstrating their Spanish Inheritance Tax liability can apply at their website which I am happy to supply on request should anyone wish the details.

Like 0      
28 Aug 2009 4:14 PM by kev2006n Star rating in Sussex and Playa Fla.... 344 posts Send private message

Thanks for your information and time spent in writing. I am a qualified accountant and do know what and what not to do to make sure I do not put myself, my partner or my children at any risk of commiting fraud in the UK.  If I am unsure then I would seek proper professional advice and pay for it be it in the UK or any where else in the world. I do not intend to discuss the arrangements and agreements we have made with our children in the UK. That is a different discussion.

I do not intend to argue with you over the UK tax law. It is there for everyone to read and understand. It is available on the Inland Revenue site without spending vast sums of money to research.

The weak part of the way we have set up our purchase results in Spanish inheritance tax being paid by our other son in the event of our youngest son dying. However as one is 26 and the other 28 it was a risk worth taking in our view! We do not intend to keep the property for ever. Probably a maximum of 10 years.

I do not understand which Annual Spanish Taxes you end up saving? However, I am not an expert on Spanish Tax! Most of the taxes I've encountered so far would still charged if the property was owned by a company or an individual. The property has only been owned for a few months so there maybe more to come. However, I was not able to unearth any other when I have tried to find out.

I'm sorry to not agree with the scheme you propose. I'm sure there are certain circumstances with a very expensive property that it may prove worthwhile. However, one cannot help but wonder if you have some interest in selling this scheme to others. I have simply told others of the way we have set things up after discussing extensively with our Spanish Lawyer. I have no intention of giving anyone any names or pushing anyone towards a certain company to carry out work. I just believe that Spanish lawyers are reactive rather than proactive. Others, after reading the various posts on this site, may chose to review with their lawyer the way they have things set up. Others that are thinking of buying might care to do some research before getting off the plane and just buying a property in the heat of the moment!

After searching for 30 seconds on the internet I discovered that you do seem to write on the same subject on a large number of sites. You are no doubt running a business and in my view not to declare yourself openly is rather a poor show. It does seem to be a thinly veiled disguise as it only took moments to discover your 'advisor', which was yourself!!! It was also interesting to note other members of your team who seem to make a lot of postings on this site!

This message was last edited by kev2006n on 28/08/2009.

Like 0      
29 Aug 2009 2:24 PM by Property On Finca Parcs Star rating in UK & Spain. 29 posts Send private message

Dear Kev2006n,

Thank you for your reply but my initial observation is that you say you are a Qualified Account. This should be a huge advantage to yourself as you can act as the Company Secretary for a UK Company which owns a property in Spain and the accounts which would need to be filled at Companies House can be submitted by you alone, so there is no requirement to pay anyone else to do this or manage your UK Company in the future.

All that I have tried to do in this Post is supply you with a mechanism that removes your property directly out of the Spanish Tax Laws which you agree is very difficult to find out about due to the re-active way most Professionals operate in Spain. One example is you are not aware of the annual Spanish Tax Declaration (Return) which all owners of Spanish properties have to submit each year in Spain. Spain operates a system of self assessment for the collection of Taxes. Both Residents and Non-Residents with property in Spain are under an obligation to file annual Tax Returns (Tax Declarations) there even if you are collecting no income from the property. If the property is owned by more than one person then there will be a charge for each extra person except a Husband and Wife who are joint owners and can submit combined Tax Returns. Should the property be owned by a UK Limited Company then any personal Tax Returns will not be required in Spain, and only one Tax Return will be required for the UK Company which would be filled at Zero. This is because under EU directive a UK Company can elect not pay Taxes in Spain but solely in the UK. If the personal Tax Returns are not submitted in Spain and the annual Taxes are ignored then the property may receive fines which would be payable should it be sold, Inherited or transferred to a new owner. I can send you more information on this and how you can submit your Tax Declaration if you wish?

I have stated already on this Forum I bought a property in Spain and indeed used a UK Limited Company to make my acquisition so I am definitely not someone who is promoting a service which I am trying to sell, but I do have first hand experience of the process as a Client of my Consultant. One important note I would like to make is I always follow the Forum rules and do not wish to break them and the solution I talk about to combat IHT and Taxes in Spain is always commented on, but what I do find is no other options are supplied by UK or Spanish Professionals to safeguard against the huge problems of Taxation in Spain.

Like 0      
29 Aug 2009 5:22 PM by kev2006n Star rating in Sussex and Playa Fla.... 344 posts Send private message

For your information I have already paid my taxes for last year which amounted to 6.36 Euros and I believe will reach a staggering 40 Euros for this year. No great savings to be made there. I had them sorted and paid before the 30 th June.

I was not looking for a solution. I am happy at the way the matters have been set up at the current time.

I do object to you under a very thin veil making out you have made a purchase of a property when in fact you are making a living doing this and selling this solution. Be man enough to declare your true position. If it is that wonderful then you will gain clients. I have read your reponses on other web sites and they are almost word for word the same as you have posted here. They also seem to generate a lot of arguement! I am not going to mention the name of your company if that is what you are hoping for.

As far as I'm concerned I was advising other members of this forum to look at their position to make sure they did what they could to legally reduce their tax exposure, for no gain to myself! If you want to sell a solution then you should use the appropriate channels to market it. I think the subject has had more than its fair airing on this web site and I will not continue with this banter for you to gain publicity. You seem to have others that write and advise on this site working for you. I suggest to any one on here that any advice offered for free should be treated with great care and caution and before you say it including my own! End of!

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

ClairH - 5 posts
Furniture Plus Spain - 3 posts
nannette - 1 posts
set up fees for mortgage - 3 posts
The NEW forum rules !!! - 9 posts
NEW : Abbey Zero Credit Card, NO foreign exchange fees for goods OR cash - 0 posts
WHO PAYS THE HIGHEST COMMUNITY FEES - 25 posts
La Vizcaronda - 2 posts
Grupo Urbasa - 2 posts
Sun Loungers - 2 posts
hello from portsmouth - 2 posts
Good deal or not, advice please. - 4 posts
Torrevieja information - 9 posts
Can anyone help - 0 posts
The campaign to clean up Orihuela Costa has begun - 0 posts
Driving & consequences of doing wrong. - 5 posts
Bringing in excess tobacco from Gibralta - help please! - 9 posts
LOOKING FOR LONG TERM LET IN CONDADO - 4 posts
want long term rental in puerto lumbreres - 0 posts
Big Thanks to Sharon W - www.themortgageservicegroup.com - 13 posts
old story Community debtors - 13 posts
Alcossebre, Costa Azahar - 1 posts
news letter? - 1 posts
Solar water heaters - 27 posts
Speedin Fine. 'HELP' - 6 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 33

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x