Silence is no longer golden!!

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
07 Feb 2008 12:00 AM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2626 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

I saw this page on theRyanair website yesterday, but it seems to have been moved from the main links now and one of my PC's can't open the page correctly either. The link is here but the text is a follows:

RYANAIR IN FLIGHT MOBILE PHONES

Ryanair makes it easy to stay in touch while on the move.

In addition to offering the lowest fares and the best on time record in Europe, Ryanair’s latest offering for passengers now means you will be able to use your own GSM mobile phone for voice calls and SMS during your flight on (subject to regulatory approval). All you need to do is switch on your phone once the aircraft is in the cruise.

Ryanair is the first airline in Europe to announce the fleet wide installation of mobile phone telephony.

Sure, you're traveling, but you still want to be reachable. That's why Ryanair ensures making and receiving calls inflight is easy and straightforward.

The service works just like on the ground, and is billed by your home mobile operator at international roaming rate – you pay no extras!

With your safety being our number 1 priority you will not be surprised to learn that the system we use also manages all active mobile devices on board, ensuring they can never interfere with aircraft avionics or ground networks.

But there's more to this service than just voice. Text messaging (SMS) is cost-effective, quick, discrete - in short, one of the most convenient ways of staying in touch in the sky. With Ryanair, receiving standard text messages on your mobile is FREE! Sending standard text messages is charged according to your home mobile operator and your price plan.

If you're using a BlackBerry®, Treo® or any other compatible Smartphone or PDA, Ryanair will also gives you the freedom to determine the best use of your time inflight.

With a GPRS-enabled device, you can connect to your email or the internet while on the move, and even receive voice calls or text messages while you're online. Ryanair ensures your GPRS-device continues to work in the same familiar way in the air as it does when you're on the ground.

Ryanair’s new in-flight mobile phone service….. just another great reason to fly the worlds favourite airline!

There isn't any date as to when the service becomes live, but it seems to fly in the face of their t&c's which state:

Mobile phones etc

Mobile Phones and Personal Electronic Devices ('PEDs') equipped with wireless phone connections may be carried only in cabin baggage but must be switched off once the aircraft doors are closed for departure. These items must not be used during flight.

Mark

Like 0      
07 Feb 2008 4:36 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Odd that Ryanair say they're the first. Easyjet always say if your mobile phone has *** (can't remember what they do say ) please enable this now ! Is this the same ? Sounds as if it is. God, imagine the person next to you going on & on about how Atlas were right bug**rs to them ?  I could stand it (mebbee) if they were saying how a member on EOS called More had helped them.

Like 0      
07 Feb 2008 7:13 PM by damok666 Star rating in Sunderland. 75 posts Send private message

No morerosado I think its different.  I think if you have the 'Inflight' mode they mention when you get on board it disables your ability to make / receive calls.

Like 0      
07 Feb 2008 7:14 PM by damok666 Star rating in Sunderland. 75 posts Send private message

No morerosado I think its different.  I think if you have the 'Inflight' mode they mention when you get on board it disables your ability to make / receive calls.

Knowing Ryanair you'll probably be charged ridiculous hidden amounts.

Like 0      
07 Feb 2008 9:03 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Hubby says he believes they'll have their own mobile phones you must use & they, no doubt, will rent you these.

Like 0      
07 Feb 2008 9:06 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2626 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

It says you will be able to use your own GSM mobile phone, not rent one. I'll ask on Sunday how it will work.

Mark

Like 0      
07 Feb 2008 9:13 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
 Mark.

Like 0      
08 Feb 2008 12:41 PM by Sonia El Star rating in Wales / Carvajal, F.... 212 posts Send private message

Oh sounds like bad news.  It's probably aimed at business travellers (do they use Ryan air?)but I think this will mean that we'll get the morons who give - very loud - running commentaries on what they are doing. I can hear it now 'Oh we just past a cloud that looked like Aunt Flo' 'Do you think I should buy nuts or crisps'

It's bad enough on buses and trains but you can't escape a plane.  Surely nothing is so important it can't wait a couple of hours? If you've been delayed you usually know before you take off so can have warned people who may be meeting you.

Like 0      
08 Feb 2008 6:27 PM by Candyfloss Star rating in Cardiff / Mar Menor. 1605 posts Send private message

Candyfloss´s avatar

Exactly Sonia

Does the airline pay for them to have them surgically removed from their "bottom" (it's not after 9 pm yet) when an irate passenger (that would be me) feels that it is where the phone belongs?

Like 0      
08 Feb 2008 6:59 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

You're very keen to shove things where the sun don't shine, aren't you Flossy ?

WHAT is that guy wearing ??

Especially for our Candy  SOUND ON !!!

Like 0      
08 Feb 2008 7:43 PM by Candyfloss Star rating in Cardiff / Mar Menor. 1605 posts Send private message

Candyfloss´s avatar

Good one More,

taking the earphones out of your mp3 and playing th tremeloes full blast next to the annoying caller should do the trick then .

Like 0      
16 Feb 2008 4:04 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2626 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Apparently phones will be allowed on Ryanair flights as of June this year, the trials are in the final stages. I think I must have found a hidden page that shouldn't have been published!!

Mark

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Madrid - Advice on where to stay - 0 posts
Palmera and Grupo Mirador - 2 posts
Gay B&B - 8 posts
Happy to be Here in Spain - 4 posts
Benahavis new life - 5 posts
Santander Branch change problems - 2 posts
searching for builder. - 0 posts
Buildings Insurance Company registered in Spain required - 3 posts
Property again - Guardian 6/2/08 - 10 posts
First Time member - 2 posts
Good Agent in Fuengirola - 0 posts
Long let wanted in Costa del Sol, nice location. - 1 posts
Changing lawyer - 5 posts
Scrapped Spanish Vehicles - 1 posts
Air Port Car Hire - 76 posts
Is there a best month to buy? - 33 posts
Community Law - 2 posts
Polaris in financial difficulties - 10 posts
addresses for b/bs and small hotels in fortuna - 14 posts
Coeliac - Where can I get gluten-free supplies - 5 posts
Gardening Leave - 3 posts
Tony - 1 posts
Translation - 5 posts
Fun - 8 posts
Working in Spain for uk company - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 12

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x