Air Port Car Hire

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
26 Feb 2008 2:46 PM by Sonia El Star rating in Wales / Carvajal, F.... 212 posts Send private message

No we fly into Malaga. The doyouspain voucher had in red about the fuel condition. I have a feeling that people on short trips are getting fed up with full / empty.  OH wasn't too happy as I'd promised him a day trip to Gibraltar if we had to empty the tank as we only plan to run around Malaga and Fuengirola. In January we were driving to the airport on fumes trying to keep empty. Don't want to go through that again, not good for the blood pressure.

Like 0      
26 Feb 2008 2:56 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Sorry, Sonia, when I'd clicked on reply & started typing I couldn't see your location. Not like More not to look FIRST.

Like 0      
27 Feb 2008 8:48 AM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

My last couple of trips I've used Record via Doyouspain and both times it was stated that you would only pay for the fuel you used (bring the car back with the same amount in tank)

The first time I was told that they were changing their fuel policy and I could pay up front for a full tank at a reduced rate.

The second time when I declined again as I never know how much fuel I would be using for the trip, I was told I could pay for 1/4, 1/2 or 3/4 of a tank.

This was from Alicante but I should imagine they will be offering this at all airports.

I prefer the full/full policy but am not over keen on Record, their extra insurance is charged daily although as a regular customer I have been offered a special rate.  (I have read about the extra yearly insurance you can buy but haven't looked into it yet.)

Also when booking a small car (KA) for the first time I was given a Picanto.  I had to pick up the keys in the garage office because they had removed the facia on the car stereo.  They wanted 300e deposit for the facia and as you're advised not to carry a handbag around with you the last thing I wanted to carry with me was a stereo facia.

Like 0      
27 Feb 2008 10:14 AM by Sonia El Star rating in Wales / Carvajal, F.... 212 posts Send private message

Oh dear this doen't sound promising.  I thought there might a charge for fuel as I can't imagine any of the companies will want to lose the opportunity to con us.

We've got the Insurance4carhire and didn't have a problem with Auriga in January when we declined theirs.  Don't really care about whether there's stereo in the car as I'm rarely quiet long enough to listen. But it sounds like you had a rough time with them.

We had a Picanto in Tangier.  They are tiny but OK for running around. We just put the foot to the floor and think - 'thank goodness this isn't ours' - but can be scary on the motorway.

Like 0      
27 Feb 2008 10:17 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Speaking of Record, Semi said ... "This was from Alicante but I should imagine they will be offering this at all airports"

Record only operate out of Alicante, Malaga, Tenerife & Palma  with their own business so they have control over what they can do.

If you book direct with http://www.recordrentacar.com/  they do take bookings for other airports but subcontract out to other car hire firms & then these can do as they want, little to do with Record who then just act as agents for them, much like carjet & doyouspain do.

Like 0      
27 Feb 2008 10:46 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Hi Sonia, can I bring your attention to these posts I put in >>> Did you realise clutch & engine "misuse" isn't covered with some companies ? as they, as you'll see, relate to the excess covered by  www.insurance4carhire.com & the actual cover you need to fully protect you with Auriga !! (Taking the Auriga cover, they cover you for gearbox misuse too).

Saturday, January 26, 2008

Morerosado
Star rating
** EOS Superstar **

morerosado´s avatar

I'm in Somerset, UK / Guardamar Del Segura on the Costa Blanca (Completed April 2005)

I've made 3115 posts

Edit this post

We book with www.doyouspain.com regularly & we are normally given http://www.aurigacrown.com/  (Murcia & sometimes, Alicante).  We hired through doyouspain in November & they put us with Auriga Crown at Alicante there was a note at Auriga's desk saying we weren't covered for the usual..underside, tyres, losing keys, windscreen (normal) but ALSO it said GEARBOX !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! First time we've seen THAT gem ! 

I've looked on Auriga's website & I saw this..

http://www.aurigacrown.com/condiciones-generales.jsp

The rental price does not include:clutch (due to misuse), lost or broken keys, error of fuel and costs involved, (you can acquire an additional insurance at € 20 per rental contract in order to cover the damages caused to glass, wheels and clutch).

I see Record at Alicante say http://www.recordrentacar.com/car_hire/airport_condiciones.htm

The insurance does not cover the following ( amongst other things we would normally see)

• Damage to the engine due to negligence.
  • Misuse of the clutch.

Amazing what we aren't aware of, don't you think ?

28 Jan 2008 1:12 PM

Morerosado
Star rating
** EOS Superstar **

morerosado´s avatar

I'm in Somerset, UK / Guardamar Del Segura on the Costa Blanca (Completed April 2005)

I've made 3115 posts

Edit this post

Because I was concerned that we wouldn't be covered by  www.insurance4carhire.com for gearbox & engine "abuse" I emailed them & have just received this.

Date: 28/01/2008 12:10:34
To: ***************
Subject: RE: Advice on gearbox cover

Dear ********

Our Excess insurance covers:  Excess on damage (excess always relates to the outside body of the vehicle), Excess on theft, and damage to windows, tyres, the undercarraige and the roof.   

I am afraid we do not have a Policy which covers the gearbox.

Kind regards 

Maureen Ursich
Insurance 4 Car Hire Agents Ltd., Trans-World House, 100 City Road, London, EC1Y 2BP (This is our Registered Office address)
Tel: 020 7012 6300    Fax: 020 7012 6315
E-Mail: info@Insurance4carhire.com    Website: www.insurance4carhire.com
Company No.: 4441876  Authorised and Regulated by the Financial Services Authority
This message and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this in error, you should not disseminate or copy this email. Please notify the sender immediately and delete this email from your system. We have taken all reasonable precautions to ensure that any attachment has been swept for viruses. However it is your responsibility to ensure that it has been swept and checked by your own anti-virus software and we cannot accept liability.

Sent: 26 January 2008 15:11
To: Insurance4carhire; Insurance4carhire
Subject: Advice on gearbox cover

Dear insurance4carhire

We use car hire at both Murcia & Alicante airports regularly & a friend who uses you recommended you.

Recently we used www.douyouspain.com (as we usually do) & they put us with Auriga Crown http://www.aurigacrown.com/ at Alicante airport.

Auriga Crown had their excess details at the counter & we were amazed to see it said  unless we took the insurance we were liable for damage to usual windscreen, underside & tyres but ALSO it said GEARBOX !! Their http://www.aurigacrown.com/condiciones-generales.jsp state
The rental price does not include:Traffic fines, tow trucks, damages to glass, wheels, underbody, clutch (due to misuse), lost or broken keys, error of fuel and costs involved, (you can acquire an additional insurance at € 20 per rental contract in order to cover the damages caused to glass, wheels and clutch).

If we were to take the cover you offer is the GEARBOX covered ? "Due to Misuse" is hard to prove, could've been done by any driver before us.

Interesting point, don't you think ? Advice required as we tend to use Auriga Crown generally.

Regards

This message was last edited by morerosado on 2/27/2008.

Like 0      
27 Feb 2008 11:52 AM by Sonia El Star rating in Wales / Carvajal, F.... 212 posts Send private message

Thanks More, I did think about that and (fingers crossed) hope that going up and down the (tarmaced) hill to our Urb doesn't wreck the clutch.  We've nearly done it a couple of times with our own 4x4 when using the ridiculously narrow twisty access to underground (shopping) car parks.  It's a trade off - clutch or new wing mirrors!  As our solicitor told us Spanish garages are not designed for big cars.

Always hopeful that we'll have a new enough car that the clutch will be OK. 

Like 0      
27 Feb 2008 4:08 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Talking about narrow & twisty underground car parks, we went into one in Elche when we went to the tax office. I've never been so scared since my sister told me I should go down the black tube that goes down into the pool at Butlins at Minehead on the rock & rock weekend we went on.  I thought that if my sis had been down it it was going to be ok. I went down on my mat, hanging onto my mat for dear life. When I came out into the pool, after what seemed like a lifetime, I couldn't stand, my legs were like jelly & I was so dizzy. They had to call a medic who sat me with my head between my legs. When I told our Jean I'd done it she said "you're a lot braver than me ! " I said "but you said you'd gone down it ". She said no way, I wouldn't !" I'm useless with things like that & fairground rides. Getting back to the underground car park we went into in Elche we only had a small car compared to what we usually have & the spaces were so narrow too. We found one space & it was at the top of the ramp just to the right. What a nightmare it was as my OH had to keep reversing partway down this steep ramp hanging onto the brake. Not going in there again. It was called Teatre.

Like 0      
27 Feb 2008 6:09 PM by timba Star rating in Cardiff and Rocas de.... 27 posts Send private message

Hi All

Just a bit more info for interest from my experience so far I fly ointo Malaga and book my cars through Carjet.com.  Always good prices and will seek out the best rate for you, have been given cars fromm Goldcar and Auriga.  Goldcar is the best with a more modern vehicle (more gadgets and electrictronic fob rather than key central locking etc), usual thing though you get asked about the additional insurance for the tyres and trims.  Over 4 days hire is a return empty policy.

Malaga airport is a bit more organised now with returns, some of the operators now check you back in(actually look at the car, mileage etc and give you a chit and then get you to go to the return kiosk.

regards

Timba

Like 0      
27 Feb 2008 6:41 PM by Sonia El Star rating in Wales / Carvajal, F.... 212 posts Send private message

Timba,, The check in and out may be more organised and I feel a lot happy that the car is checked as I was never sure if they could make up some dent or damage. It's still a nightmare trying to find your hire company when you return with maze of signs that are in the car park. I don't know how anyone who is one their own would be able to decifer it all quickly enough.  

More, Sorry to hear about your experience at Butlins.  VERY VERY Brave of you.  I could never ever go down one of the slidey things. A friend once got stuck in one at a local swimming pool - the shame. She had to shuffle herself down.  I love going to Florida Disney but never anything higher or scarier other than 'teacups' level. 

Like 0      
28 Feb 2008 9:22 AM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

Sonia El - Oops I posted to explain what happened to me but may have inadvertantly given you concerns about using Record.

I regularly booked direct with them until the fiasco with the Picanto, then I changed over to booking with Doyouspain.  In the past year I have been given Centauro, Goldcar, Auriga and then Record.

I do prefer Record because of their fuel policy. 

I wasn't forced into pre paying for the fuel, it was a suggestion that I might find it more convenient.

I declined as I'm never sure of the amount of driving I will be doing each trip.

When I returned 3 weeks later and I declined again, I was given the choice of paying for part of a tank if that was easier.  Again there wasn't any more pressure from them when I told them I wanted to return it with a full tank.

I've just called up my last DoYouSpain.com voucher and it says in the Comments box  on the Rental Voucher "You will be given the car with fuel in the tank and be required to return it with the same level of fuel you use."

I wanted to forewarn you of my recent experiences then you will be prepared before you get to the counter at Malaga.  It was never my intention to worry you and I apologise if I did.

As I said previously my experiences relate to Alicante Airport only and I'm sure I read on another thread that someone had used Record in another airport and wrote a glowing report.  It could have been Malaga but my memory's not that good.

Timba - I also used to use Carjet but now I compare prices before booking.  It's surprising what the difference is and DoYouSpain regularly comes out on top.  In fact they are cheaper than Records budget booking website www.email-car-hire.com.

When you have to pre-pay the fuel charge then why not off set it against the overall hire cost.  Makes sense to me!  It won't pay for all the fuel but the difference is definately worth the extra time and effort.

Like 0      
28 Feb 2008 10:10 AM by jane b Star rating in Bedar, Almeria. 222 posts Send private message

jane b´s avatar

Hi Simon

This is probably way too late for you this time, but it may help others

We have always used www.hirecarsinspain.com  They are a small family company based in Hampshire, and they have cracking prices with different agents here. Everyone we have recommended them to has found the same.  The good news is that one of the companies they use, econorent, now offer full to full at Murcia and Alicante.  I have asked them if there is any chance of something similar in Almeria and I am sure that they will work on it.  Whenever we have checked it out we have found that it is just as cheap if not cheaper booking with them than direct with the car hire companies - don't know how they do it.

Jane

This message was last edited by jane b on 2/28/2008.

www.fincalaserenidad.com

Like 0      
28 Feb 2008 11:56 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Jane, wow, thanks  

www.hirecarsinspain.com using Econorent are great on price & with guaranteed full/full fuel arrangements too. Seems just what most of us have been looking for. Why didn't you join EOS earlier & I wonder why this is the first we've heard of them.

I have just got quotes for both Econorent & doyouspain (don't know who doyouspain would've put me with of course with not wanting to actually book)

March 17th to April 10th Murcia airport.

Econorent Group A1 Hyundai Atos/Citroen C1 5dr & a/c 303.43 €

Doyouspain Renault Clio 5 dr a/c 384.27€

(As we booked a couple of weeks ago with doyouspain who have put us with Auriga for 283.05€ we'll be staying with doyouspain this trip).

However, I've just checked both companies for our next two trips & look...

June 9th to July 2nd Murcia airport

Econorent (same group as before) 309.00€

Doyouspain (ditto) 368.26€

Sept 1st to 25th

Econorent 360.00€

Doyouspain 468.54€

I checked terms re cancelling both as I knew Doyouspain didn't charge for cancellation at any time & as long as you email www.hirecarsinspain.com  there will be no charge with them either at any time up to hire period.

Also a free automatic upgrade if hire period is over 28 days.

NICE ONE JANE

This message was last edited by morerosado on 2/28/2008.

Like 0      
28 Feb 2008 1:57 PM by Sonia El Star rating in Wales / Carvajal, F.... 212 posts Send private message

Exactly what I love about this site - loads of information!! THANK YOU EVERYONE.  Can't do picture inserts and as I use the PC at work during the daytime I wouldn't be allowed to anyway as everything is blocked.

I'm so looking forward to a long weekend in Spain that I'm not going to let hire car companies worry me too much.  Every trip it's a different one. Looking forward to getting our sofa at long last - only been waiting since beginning of November. Plus of course lots of lovely food and wine!! And no work until next Thursday! I see the weather is improving??

Like 0      
01 Mar 2008 3:18 PM by timba Star rating in Cardiff and Rocas de.... 27 posts Send private message

Hi All

Having used Goldcar and Auriga  before do many people take out the additional insurance for the wheels etc i knmow it is a bit like how long is a piece of string. But is it worth it for peace of mind, what do you do?

Timba

Like 0      
01 Mar 2008 3:29 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

As Auriga only charge 20€ per hire period (unlike some who charge per week) & we're spending 25 days x 3 times this year (at the moment) we shall take Auriga's insurance as it covers gearbox "misuse" as well. Three long trips x 20€ is much the same as annual European cover with www.insurance4carhire.com charge although they won't cover gearbox "misuse". I know members say a new car shouldn't have probs with the gearbox but people do misuse this & I don't want to be lumbered with a bill on my cc for someone elses misuse.

Friends of ours paid for the insurance with whoever they hired from & just as well as they went over a raised manhole cover which wrecked one wheel of their car never mind the tyre. They changed the tyre & limped back to Alicante.

At the end of the day it's to each his own.

This message was last edited by morerosado on 3/1/2008.

Like 0      
01 Mar 2008 4:13 PM by pepart Star rating. 13 posts Send private message

anyone had dealings with sixt car hire at malaga airport,  i have had good quote for april , i know it is off site.

Like 0      
01 Mar 2008 4:25 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

http://www.sixt.co.uk/ use SolMar at Alicante, Murcia, Reuss & Valencia.

Edited to add : BLIMEY, I checked various cars but they are expensive at Murcia with http://www.sixt.co.uk/ using Solmar. I checked Solmar's own direct sales http://www.solmar-online.com/ & look at difference !!!

March 17th to April 10th using Murcia airport.

Citreon C3 both quotes.

Direct from Solmar 445.70€ total

Through http://www.sixt.co.uk/  using Solmar 744.95€ plus further 13.92€ service fee !

http://www.sixt.co.uk/ are making more than 300€ out of that.

This message was last edited by morerosado on 3/1/2008.

Like 0      
04 Mar 2008 4:04 PM by pepart Star rating. 13 posts Send private message

i have booked with sixt car hire, 2 weeks april £113.40.nearly £40 cheaper than elsewhere at malaga

Like 0      
20 Mar 2008 10:15 AM by katrinachesney Star rating. 9 posts Send private message

Hi

Just been reading about car hire at Alicante and Murcia and I have just returned home from Spain and we flew into Murcia Airport and booked through www.hirecarsinspain.com using Econorent who also have a collection point at Alicante Airport. They allow you to return the car full of fueland are extremely helpful and efficient as was the whole booking process with hirecarsinspain.com, I think someone has mentioned this company before but just thought I would let you know and will definitely be using them again!

Many thanks

Kat

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Is there a best month to buy? - 33 posts
Community Law - 2 posts
Polaris in financial difficulties - 10 posts
addresses for b/bs and small hotels in fortuna - 14 posts
Coeliac - Where can I get gluten-free supplies - 5 posts
Gardening Leave - 3 posts
Tony - 1 posts
Translation - 5 posts
Fun - 8 posts
Working in Spain for uk company - 3 posts
Villa Wanted:CASH BUYER - 2 posts
Hello Everyone - 5 posts
Villa Wanted:CASH BUYER - 0 posts
LONG LET WANTED PLAYA FLAMENCA - 0 posts
Rental Wanted - 6 posts
pozo del esparto apartment - 1 posts
English television in Spain - 1 posts
looking for rental - 1 posts
Spending OUR money !!!!!!!!!! - 3 posts
Benalmadena International College - 0 posts
Theory tests in Spain (online) - 1 posts
Spanish Income Tax on rental income for non residents - 28 posts
GOOD GAME - 12 posts
buying property - 2 posts
looking for 3 or 4 month rental on Costa Blanca, Costa del Sol, Costa Almeria - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 77

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x